Whats the fastest youve heard of someone going with a rcc stage1or2 kit?

sean06

Registered
Im just looking for some realistic times and mph's with bikes running 12lbs of boost and under with the standard turbo that comes with the rcc stage1 and 2 kits. Im wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade from the standard turbo to a 2871 dbb tubo? I would imagine that pound for pound of boost the 2871 would make more power than the journal bearing 50trim?

Im just looking for some realistic times and mph's with bikes running 12lbs of boost and under with the standard turbo that comes with the rcc stage1 and 2 kits. Im wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade from the standard turbo to a 2871 dbb tubo? I would imagine that pound for pound of boost the 2871 would make more power than the journal bearing 50trim?

Since there are about three different 2871s to consider, it depends on which one. If you are talking about the 2871 supplied with the Velocity kits, I would say no because of the housings they use. Keep in mind there are 2871s that will make 500 rwhp . . . but the Velocity upgrade 2871 is not one of them.:laugh:

The bike will be street riden some, but mainly drag strip use:beerchug: I dont really care about spool up, just whats going to get me to the finish line the quickest.

And if it helps its a stock bottom end gen2 with baseplate spacer, ss valves, springs, head studs and cam gears.

thanks

Since there are about three different 2871s to consider, it depends on which one. If you are talking about the 2871 supplied with the Velocity kits, I would say no because of the housings they use. Keep in mind there are 2871s that will make 500 rwhp . . . but the Velocity upgrade 2871 is not one of them.:laugh:

so frank are you saying that velocity turbo's are bad quality?

Velocity sponsored riders have dominated drag racing in the Mirock series as well as AMA for years. I think this explains my point.
2004 AMA Prostreet National Championship
2004 AMA Prostreet World record holder
2004 Mirock Pro Sportbike National championship
2004 Mirock National record holder

2005 AMA Prostreet National Championship
2005 AMA Prostreet World record holder
2005 Mirock Pro Sportbike National Championship
2005 Mirock National record holder

2006 AMA Prostreet National Championship
2006 AMA Prostreet World record holder
2006 AMA Super Street National Championship
2006 AMA Super Street National record holder
2006 Mirock Pro Sportbike National Championship
2006 Mirock Pro Sportbike National record holder

2007 AMA Prostreet National Championship
2007 AMA Prostreet World record holder
2007 AMA Super Street National Championship
2007 AMA Super Street National record holder
2007 Mirock Pro Sportbike National Championship
2007 Mirock Pro Sportbike National record holder

2008 AMA Prostreet National Championship
2008 AMA Prostreet World record holder
2008 AMA Super Street National Championship
2008 AMA Super Street National record holder
2008 AMA Real Street National Championship
2008 AMA Real Street National record holder
2008 Mirock Pro Sportbike National Championship
2008 Mirock Pro Sportbike National record holder

2009 AMA Prostreet Points leader
2009 AMA Super Street points leader
2009 Mirock Prostreet National Championship
2009 Mirock Pro Sportbike National Championship

Sounds unlikely that it's not quality products.

Velocity sponsored riders have dominated drag racing in the Mirock series as well as AMA for years. I think this explains my point.

Take 100 red marlbes and roll them down a hill and then take 10 black ones and mix them in....a red is more than likely going to win. Just the general point I'm making about the amount of velocity bikes at the track. Lots of teams going to the RCC side this year so expect things to change. No doubt Velocity has many many good riders. Put those guys on bikes with Hahn kits and Hahn would probably have all those championships

You are assuming that Velocity supplies the same level of parts/service to regular customers and sponsored racers. And therein lies the controversy. I have not bought anything from Velocity so cannot comment firsthand, but there are persistent rumors throughout the turbo world that point to that. What I do know firsthand is that there are some turbo kit manufacturers/tuners that will take time to talk with you and help any way they can, even when it is minimally or not at all profitable for them. Frank and Richard are two of those people. There are others, but I doubt you will find Barry Henson on that list.

A valid point. I personally know several of the riders and they are unbelievable. Barry treats them well from what I understand so I would be suprised to see them leave.

This wasnt supposed to be a rcc vs. velocity post. Please if you dont have info on the question asked post it somewhere else. This was a question about turbo's.

thanks

Last edited:
Wasn't trying to knock Frank. I don't know him and nor have I ever even spoken with him. And as for Joe Hahn his guy Miller runs well, I'm not debating that you can get quality products from several manufacturers.

to give u a little bit of an answer
time wise you wont see much difference in a drag race type of riding style
time wise the chassis rider and total package needs to be put into the equation to fully answer that but anywhere from 8.90's down to 8.40's at 12-15 pounds of boost with a properly setup chassis

and the RCC turbo i believe will make a few more horsepower vs the 2871 due to its a little larger of a turbo

Last edited:
time wise the chassis rider and total package needs to be put into the equation to fully answer that but anywhere from 8.90's down to 8.40's at 12-15 pounds of boost with a properly setup chassis

and the RCC turbo i believe will make a few more horsepower vs the 2871 due to its a little larger of a turbo
What u know about turbos?:lol:

so frank are you saying that velocity turbo's are bad quality?

I NEVER SAID THAT! It just so happens that POWERHOUSE sells RCC, Velocity, Hahn and the occasional Mr. Turbo, usually for the old-school bikes. My comments were comparing the Garrett in question with the Precision 50 trim turbo used in the RCC kits. Velocity happens to make a great kit, and so does Big CC, RCC and many others. One of our riders runs Real Street and goes 8.0s, 185 on a Velocity Stage One kit using a hand clutch. Obviously his chassis is set up right and he can ride. There is a lot more going on when you are trying to go fast in the quarter - its not just how much power you are making. Putting it down is where it matters.

:poke:

I NEVER SAID THAT! It just so happens that POWERHOUSE sells RCC, Velocity, Hahn and the occasional Mr. Turbo, usually for the old-school bikes. My comments were comparing the Garrett in question with the Precision 50 trim turbo used in the RCC kits. Velocity happens to make a great kit, and so does Big CC, RCC and many others. One of our riders runs Real Street and goes 8.0s, 185 on a Velocity Stage One kit using a hand clutch. Obviously his chassis is set up right and he can ride. There is a lot more going on when you are trying to go fast in the quarter - its not just how much power you are making. Putting it down is where it matters.

:poke:

Frank i was really just messing with ya, i have heard alot of bad things with velocity's customer care as we talked before. I was really just asking to see what kind of durability i will have with mine. Thats it man, i didnt mean anything by it and i have to say as i told you before that you been more than helpful with my build.

Thanks for the reply, I guess Im setting myself up for a huge dissapointment then. I have gone 8.77 @ 158mph with a pipe and powercommander on pump gas and im sure I could get close to a 60 with some race gas. Im not going to be too happy if I only gain 2-3 tenths with an extra 100hp on tap. After the turbo kit and motor work i will be over 6k into this project.

Sean, with all due respect, none of these guys know how you ride, and are basically throwing numbers for what "average" people do. You are by no means the average rider, and I am quite sure that you will be finding yourself closer to the 8.20 mark right off the bat . . .:whistle:

as I said previously, I know of more than one rider that can go 8.0s on a stock wheelbase turbo Busa with only 300 HP on tap.:beerchug:

Sean, with all due respect, none of these guys know how you ride, and are basically throwing numbers for what "average" people do. You are by no means the average rider, and I am quite sure that you will be finding yourself closer to the 8.20 mark right off the bat . . .:whistle:

as I said previously, I know of more than one rider that can go 8.0s on a stock wheelbase turbo Busa with only 300 HP on tap.:beerchug:
this is very true i was basing this off an average rider with a descent setup, not great setup and good rider

Back