What should I do??

Duanne

Registered
Well lets see..I own a 1982 gs1100ez,Thats in like mint shape, I brought it to a local shop to fix a leaky front fork, figuring it was just a seal. The mechanic phoned me a few days later and said I had a rock chip on one fork and the other was 30 thou out, he said he was going to replace the tube (a tube to me is a stanchion, is that correct?) When I picked up my bike, I noticed that it felt like the front brake was on. So I get home, shut the bike off, open the garage door, go to push my bike in, and I could hear a grinding noise as I am pushing my bike into my garage. I lift the front end up, go to spin the tire, and I have to two hand it to spin it. I take off my brake caliper and the mounting bracket is rubbing against my disc. So this knucklehead at the bike shop switched out my stock forks for a pair of **** ones that were bent, hence the rubbing against my disc. He charged me for a lower fork bushing, fork seals, fork oil and a fork cap but I know that these are not the original forks as I have had this bike for 20 years and know every inch of this bike. Can't wait for his shop to open tomorrow morning, he's going to get an earful. I want my original forks back, my bike was in better shape before I took it in. 1 leaky fork and the guy steals both of them and puts some **** forks on my bike...:banghead::banghead:

What would you do?

Tricky situation.... could wind up being his word vs yours. What if he says he didn't swap the forks then what would you do?? Whats the rep like for this shop? Have you heard from other riders any shady dealings such as this?? That might help your case should you end up pursuing legal recourse.

I know for a fact that he switched out my forks I've washed them enough over the 20years I had the bike, first time dealing with this guy. If my old forks were in such bad shape I would like them back to add to my collection of bike parts...(this **** head prob sold them already)

That's what I mean it's not like you had the forks stamped somewhere with your initials or there was a distinguishing characteristic about your forks vs the bent 1's he swapped them with for you to be able to prove to the police or courts that he swapped em.

Your probably right.... he ebayed them or had a buddy that needed a set of forks for their bike :banghead: a 20+ year old bike is not easy 2 find mint parts for. how long ago did this take place? I would be @ his shop 1st thing 2morrow morning!! Maybe he's dumb enough 2 have your forks still laying somewhere in the shop or even worse a bike similar 2 yours with your forks on it!!

I picked the bike up this past Wednesday...Was scratchin my head about how my mounting bracket could be rubbing that hard on the disc...AAAAA the guy did the switch,I will be phoning first thing Monday morning...My gut told me to do the job myself..Now im grumpy witch makes my wife ask me why are you grumpy...LOL

The more I read threads like this the more I appreciate my local shop. there are a lot of shady idiots out there. Good luck. When I go to a place to deal with a problem I try to keep my cool, not swear, try and be rational, but walk in there mentally prepared to be firm and not take no for an answer. That attitude seems to get the best results.

Let this be a reminder to ALWAYS photograph your bike in detail BEFORE you let a shop have it.

I assume this has to be the first and last time you deal with this shop.
Is there a reason you choose this shop to do the work?

If a Mechanic told me there was a rock chip and one was .030 out I would have wanted to SEE that
before I authorized any work. A rock chip - come on be for real. You said you know every inch of that bike,
Didn't that sound fishy to you. Yes I know you want to believe that someone is telling you the truth.

If things go sour and there seems to be a high chance of that happening - I would call the BBB and file a complaint ASAP.
Ask them if you are the first to file one on that company.

Do you have any pictures of the bike that could help prove that the forks are not the same ones as in earlier
pictures you might have of the bike?

SORRY for your loss and I hope everything will turn out alright.

Back