What I learned the last couple days.

So my friend came over with his 08 zx-14 and it sounded different lower tone and throatier. He explained to me that he removed the catalytic converters and the secondary butterflies. I'm sure it sounded lower because of the cats only, but I asked him about removing the butterflies and he said it's a common mod for his bike on their forums...so I tried to remove my cats and after a few hours i took it to a exhaust place and they took them out for 100$. BTW the honeycomb is about 3-4 inches thick on each side!!! So i painted the bored out headers and put some header rap around them...looks nice. Here are some pics...
View attachment 1513523View attachment 1513524
My friend came over (the same guy that has a zx-14) to help me put it back together (he's a car/motorcycle mechanic) and I learned something else these bolts at the bottom of the fairings that you unbolt...it's a pop thingy? On the right side no problem to unscrew but on the left side it's kinda impossible to get it back in...so my friend said unscrew it then detach it from the fairing the screw it back to the engine then just pop the fairing back in place. btw spray some wd-40 into the gramit so it slides in nicely.
View attachment 1513525
So after that i took out the secondary butterflies and started her up cold no problems. I'll dyno it this summer for some real numbers but it has noticeably more torque for the short ride i went on.
View attachment 1513526
When i was younger all the cars just had one set of butterflies so why do we need two sets? it just seems to restrict the engine more with less air flow in, and the cat restricts with less air flow out. so what do you think? oh btw my motorcycle is DUSTY!!!

The Kawasaki engineers thought the ZX14 engine would have too much power on launch so they restricted the engine power by not opening the secondary butterflies until 4,000 RPM in the lower gears. Removing the flies adds a lot to the low RPM power on the ZX14 but has no effect at higher RPM,s. FWIW the 2006 and 2007 ZX14,s only had cats in the mufflers not the header. In 2008 they added a cat to the header.

it has more torque and i forgot to say the butterflies are REALLY easy to take out just need a magnetic screw driver and a pair of locking long nose pliers to hold the secondary butterflies flat. by holding the bolt on the left side outside the throttle bodies. if you drop a screw the primaries are closed so the screw stops there but be careful.

The Kawasaki engineers thought the ZX14 engine would have too much power on launch so they restricted the engine power by not opening the secondary butterflies until 4,000 RPM in the lower gears. Removing the flies adds a lot to the low RPM power on the ZX14 but has no effect at higher RPM,s. FWIW the 2006 and 2007 ZX14,s only had cats in the mufflers not the header. In 2008 they added a cat to the header.

yes...why oh why did they put a a-b-c mode on our bikes?!?!?!

this is before mod...

so this is after mod...

can you tell a difference? i think the second one is a little louder...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 94 Camaro Z28 back in the day and did the same thing. Flowmaster with Striat Exhaust. Sounded WAY Better then Stock. I Think that if I am Going to Take the Time to take the Exhaust Off My 08 Busa, Just to Have the CAT'S Removed you Might as Well Get NEW EXHAUST :thumbsup:

How much louder, deeper tone is you Busa now? I have both, '08 Busa and "08 ZX 14. On the Busa I have a full Yosh R77 system, and on the ZX 14 I have Two Brothers slip ons, and the ZX 14 is louder, deeper tone than the Busa. Actually my Busa is pretty quiet with the full system.

Last edited:
Back