What chains do you guys use?

Frankie Figs

Registered
I'm looking for a chain for my friend. He should be around 220whp with spray. One guy said he should get the EK530ZZZ since its really strong but I was thinking maybe an RK 530GXW would be better. I dont know how good EK chains are but I've never seen a manufacturer use them and quite a few use RK.

Thanks,
Frankie

EK ZZZ 5,000 miles an no adjustment needed
beerchug.gif

I've got a few thousand miles and at least 250 1/4 mile passes on my ZZZ and it is still within specs.

I've got a few thousand miles and at least 250 1/4 mile passes on my ZZZ and it is still within specs.
What do you mean "within spec"?  Can you measure chain stretch?  If so, how?
Tension it on the bike. I roll a socket extension in between the sprocket and the chain. However the manual instructs to tighten the adjustors.

Count 21 pins and the length should not exceed 12.57" center to center. The service manual has the details.

You can also tell by the wear pattern on the sprocket. As the chain wears, it will not ride in the correct place on the sprocket.

I've also seen a couple pictures of chain stretch gauges. They are real popular in bicycle applications but not that common on motorcycles.

What do you mean "within spec"?  Can you measure chain stretch?  If so, how?
Tension it on the bike. I roll a socket extension in between the sprocket and the chain. However the manual instructs to tighten the adjustors.

Count 21 pins and the length should not exceed 12.57" center to center. The service manual has the details.

You can also tell by the wear pattern on the sprocket. As the chain wears, it will not ride in the correct place on the sprocket.

I've also seen a couple pictures of chain stretch gauges. They are real popular in bicycle applications but not that common on motorcycles.
Interesting... I usually just tug on the chain as its sitting on the rear sprocket. If it has too much play its time to start chain shopping. Does the manual mean to tighten the chain so theres no slack in it?

I think it is hard to tell by lifting it at the sprocket to judge it. I'm sure it works for some. Wasn't a problem on dirt bikes, but a street chain seems to be harder for me to tell. I can pretty well tell by the wear patterns. But is about like reading spark plugs. It takes a bit of experience to get used to it. I'll see if I can get some pictures to show what I am taking about. I think I posted one or two sometime back.

I have seen many sprockets that have been damaged by worn chains that would have otherwise serviceable.

Here is the section from the service manual. Click for a full size view.

chain.jpg

I have EK ZVX2 chains on 150-300 hp bikes and never once a problem,the zzz chain is way overrated..Lmk if you need a chain got plenty in stock,both Chrome and Gold,all lengths,Sprockets also...

I think it is hard to tell by lifting it at the sprocket to judge it. I'm sure it works for some. Wasn't a problem on dirt bikes, but a street chain seems to be harder for me to tell. I can pretty well tell by the wear patterns. But is about like reading spark plugs. It takes a bit of experience to get used to it.  I'll see if I can get some pictures to show what I am taking about. I think I posted one or two sometime back.

I have seen many sprockets that have been damaged by worn chains that would have otherwise serviceable.  

Here is the section from the service manual. Click for a full size view.
Thanks alot man!
beerchug.gif

Does the manual mean to tighten the chain so theres no slack in it?
You should have about 1'' of slack in the center of the chain run.
I should have added..... taking the slack out is to only measure the chain for wear. DO NOT RIDE the bike like that.  

Chevelle is right there should be about 1" slack in the chain when setting it up. .8-1.2" is the actual specification.
I know, I was talking about measuring stretch
super.gif

EK non - oring. More maintenace but a few more HP (2-3 HP) because of the less resistance. Big difference in "free" rolling when the bikes on a stand. Easy HP gains for the $$ as well as safety.

Back