Whaddyathink of these brakes?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
The close up pic really shows some mods, even the inner web of the rotor is covered! Some are similar and some have very slight differences.

The first pic appears to have a rain tire on so in wet weather maybe they not only want to keep the rotors dry, but also want them to retain heat? All the others look they’re on slicks but even their’s have full front covers. I woulda thought they’d want the rotors to stay cooler out in the breeze. Even the fully covered ones have vents in the lower section. Covered but vented?

As opposed to steel, carbon rotors don't work at all unless they are very hot. That's why you won't see them on the street. An added benefit is the improved aerodynamics.
Got it right there bro , they are shrouded to help maintain optimum operating temperature . Too cold and they don't work , that is why you do not see them on streetbikes ...

I remember when they first came on the scene from F1 riders complained of riding the first lap or two with nearly no brakes at all and dragging the brakes to try and heat them up. They would also cool quickly. So working through a fast section would be enough to cool them and reduce performance unexpectedly and next time you pull the lever it's off into the rocks.

So why bother? From what I have read, the carbon brakes provide superior stopping when in temp, are hugely stable over a race, and most importantly are very, very light.

I mean it's obviously to reduce drag, and I'm sure some people with way more degrees than me figured out how to make it work, but I don't see how they can dissapate heat very well...

Motogp carbon brakes only work when screaming hot. They are covered in the rain so they don't dissipate heat.

cheers
ken

Last edited:
Back