Weld Up Wheels

presbyteroa

Registered
Anybody read that article in SuperStreet bike about Tyson Beckford and his Hayabusa, I did and i was wondering if anybody could tell me alittle more about Weld up Wheels from what i read on http://www.kosman.net/weldup.htm.
You send them your wheels and they weld them however what i was confussed on was how you use them, can you just slap them back on your Busa and go or do you need to modify the swingarm. Reason i'm asking is that i want to stretch and drop my Busa, but i'm on a budget and i really dont like any of the aftermarket rims out there, i also dont want to add any weight cause i want to take it to the Track still so i also want to know if the wheels welded up would still be good for track use.

looks to me that this is only a method to make your rims "wider"...

I would also guess that it is not going to work very well on "cast" wheels (IE Stockers) and is directed to the "high end" billet wheels you might have that cost a couple grand and replacing them is a $$$ option..

Second, you can not add width and not add weight..

personally I would rather not trust my skin to a "welded" rim....

Sandy Kosman does good work. I've seen a busa wheel he did that was a 300-330 kit. I also know of a couple in use at the drag strip.

What type of track use are you taking about?

they weld stock cast wheels?
Yep

Here is one he did if the link works.

2340378979_f19b04ffc6.jpg

Another was a GSXR rim that was widened to about 7 inches and used on a drag/street harley. You may remember the bike. He ran the 9.50 class with it when you were here. It has gone some 9.20s

This topic is all over the place in the last two weeks! Kosh is where veryone is directing this type of work. Widen the rear wheel and you ask if you need to do anything to the swingarm?
pillepalle.gif
YES...how wide are you going?

would love to see one of these wheels to see how he is doing cast wheels (obviously they are safe or they would not be allowed on the track)

We did some furnace welding on castings but had terrible problems with stress fractures where the casting ends..

Never say never huh?
smile.gif

Sorry about the link here it goes again.
http://www.kosman.net/weldup.htm
And i was talking about useing them at the drag strip.
As far as swingarm modification thats what i'm still confussed but i'm guessing you do have to, so does anyone know of anyone who stretches and widens swingarms around Dallas, Tx

Back