Way to go Obama!!! About to lay the smack down...

um... he's all bark man... legally there wasn't much he can do to force the fund and BP had previously agreed to it without putting a number on it.... just political posturing but still great news for sure :thumbsup:

the real question becomes distribution.... if I cannot enjoy the seafood from the region at my local eatery, do I become eligible for repayment as it has disrupted my lifestyle :whistle:

Thtas good but if you think that will hurt BP then you are seriousley mistaken we will pay in the long run :banghead: but It is a kind gesture

um... he's all bark man... legally there wasn't much he can do to force the fund and BP had previously agreed to it without putting a number on it.... just political posturing but still great news for sure :thumbsup:

the real question becomes distribution.... if I cannot enjoy the seafood from the region at my local eatery, do I become eligible for repayment as it has disrupted my lifestyle :whistle:

Did you watch his speech yesterday evening? I thought it was well spoken and he laid out a plan that can be achieved. Call it posturing and whether there was anything legally he could do or not...he sees how the big oil has been running amuck w/out proper supervision....and like most of us HE's FED UP! BP HAS to pay now!

What is the shrimp industry worth a year? Boat/jet-ski/sport fishing industry worth a year? What is the tourism industry of the gulf worth a year? and all the other industries affected worth a year? How many years will this go on? 20 Billion doesnt seem to be hardly enough to cover it.

Thtas good but if you think that will hurt BP then you are seriousley mistaken we will pay in the long run :banghead: but It is a kind gesture

I didn't say it would hurt them, while I wish it would as I'm well aware that we as a nation will be paying for this for a long time. Goes without saying for those of you that live in the affected regions.

All I said is that I am happy to see that screws were tightened down on BP and that they have a fund set in place to help thjose in need now.

What is the shrimp industry worth a year? Boat/jet-ski/sport fishing industry worth a year? What is the tourism industry of the gulf worth a year? and all the other industries affected worth a year? How many years will this go on? 20 Billion doesnt seem to be hardly enough to cover it.

True....but what's done, can not be undone. So I see it better than nothing.

True....but what's done, can not be undone. So I see it better than nothing.

I see it as pissing in the wind on a forest fire until there are no trees left for anyone to care.

Those peoples' livelyhoods are being distroyed...hey BP nice Gesture! Bull feces!

Again....while I share your sentiment, that type of attitude AFTER THE FACT is really pointless. What we need to do
now is ride the Fu****s to pay,pay,pay and do what's right going forward
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Obama is only in his seat because he is such an eloquent speaker and can write/read great sermons (err speeches)

BP is just one of many, hell they arent even the worst one out there. 20B is nothing, that's like 1/2 a year's listed profit for them but they've been running at that level for years. If Obama wants to really do something impacting he'll regulate the price of oil/gas back down to something in the 1.20-1.70 range by law and help bring this economy back to what it was prior to the massive run away pricing that really is substantially unfounded

I'll say it...completely non-political statement here...

I'll believe it when I see it... ???

$20B of estimate $1,000B (yes that's a Trillion dollars) that it will eventually cost. I'm with Ace on this one. Just another flowery speach and more political showboating.

Again....while I share your sentiment, that type of attitude AFTER THE FACT is really pointless. What we need to do
now is ride the Fu****s to pay,pay,pay and do what's right going forward
Posted via Mobile Device

What seems like a lot to us, is just a drop of detergent in a bucket full of oil!
It's not going hurt their wallet and will not be enough to complete the years of impact.

Just 2,
Bubba

+1000 and I bet none of the Average Joe small business owners that will lose that business will never see a penny. If they do it will be a low interest loan subsidized by the government so that they will in return get their share.

I see it as pissing in the wind on a forest fire until there are no trees left for anyone to care.

Those peoples' livelyhoods are being distroyed...hey BP nice Gesture! Bull feces!

Ace is right all the way . The 20b will be a one time shot while the oil will continue to do it's damage for decades. Anyone who thinks the $ will solve anything just needs to go to Prince William Sound and ask if the $ that took more than 20yrs for the folks there to get helped them.
Some lost homes, wives , businesses and never recovered. To this day you can still turn rocks over and find an smell oil . The earth in the end will fix itself but it will be long after we are gone . Each and every single person affected by this would rather turn the clock back than have $ put in their pocket.
$ may pay the bills but it will not replace your livelyhood. As one person said he is a fourth gen shrimper how is he gonna teach his kids to do same and handown family tradition ? What will tourist season be like next yr and the next and the next and ten yrs from now ? Crap that's what it will be cuz this has scared all away from the gulf coast . BP wants to hurry up and settle before it gets caught in the loop current and flows thru the keys , then up the eastern coast of Florida and the rest of the east coast. It will blacken and ruin everything from The gulf to NY ! Just sad to see what we humans have done to mother Earth. She is gonna get pissed and wipe us all off here face I tell ya !

Last edited:
$20B of estimate $1,000B (yes that's a Trillion dollars) that it will eventually cost. I'm with Ace on this one. Just another flowery speach and more political showboating.

Where have u seen this estimate? Link please. And just what do y'all experts think is enough?

Funny reading these responses, I bet your answers would be different if they said they wouldn't pay anything out, which for all intents & purposes they didn't have to do!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace is right all the way . The 20b will be a one time shot while the oil will continue to do it's damage for decades. Anyone who thinks the $ will solve anything just needs to go to Prince William Sound and ask if the $ that took more than 20yrs for the folks there to get helped them.
Some lost homes, wives , businesses and never recovered. To this day you can still turn rocks over and find an smell oil . The earth in the end will fix itself but it will be long after we are gone . Each and every single person affected by this would rather turn the clock back than have $ put in their pocket.
$ may pay the bills but it will not replace your livelyhood. As one person said he is a fourth gen shrimper how is he gonna teach his kids to do same and handown family tradition ? What will tourist season be like next yr and the next and the next and ten yrs from now ? Crap that's what it will be cuz this has scared all away from the gulf coast . BP wants to hurry up and settle before it gets caught in the loop current and flows thru the keys , then up the eastern coast of Florida and the rest of the east coast. It will blacken and ruin everything from The gulf to NY ! Just sad to see what we humans have done to mother Earth. She is gonna get pissed and wipe us all off here face I tell ya !

Again....then what do u think is enough? Asking them to pay someones guess of 1trillion dollars is ludicrous

Hmmm.... I bet if we asked the people most affected by this if they are in favor of the $20B....
Posted via Mobile Device

How about a written and notarized and signed by folks who need to that each and everyone affected by this as well as their children and the childrens children will be financially take. care of for the next 100yrs ! I would consider that if I was one who is now twiddling thumbs instead of working !
Pay the folks now but like I said what about the generations to come ?
What work will they do if there are no fish or shrimp in the gulf for the next century ?
Oil smell and tarballs on beaches for the next fifty yrs.
What are the hotel owners gonna do ?

The effects of this catastrophe still are yet to be fully realized and that's why BP wants to set a numbe and limit on the penalty now . You cannot measure this in $ .

Last edited:
Where have u seen this estimate? Link please. And just what do y'all experts think is enough?

Funny reading these responses, I bet your answers would be different if they said they wouldn't pay anything out, which for all intents & purposes they didn't have to do!
Posted via Mobile Device

Here's some interesting reading. As the oil continues to pour into the Gulf, the currents are eventually going to give it back to BP on thier own shores.

Gulf Oil Spill "Could Go on for Years and Years" ...

I'm not sure how you come up with BP doesn't have to pay anything. I'm sure their position right now is one of trying to minimize the law suits from people who's livelyhoods they have distroyed.

Back