Was having a beer at the cemetary...

BigBadDodge

Registered
Its going on 11 year at the end of the month since my older brother passed, today he would have been 31. For a little background (so yall dont think i'm nuts)
when i was probably 12 my parents caught me and a friend drinking some of his dads beer in our basement, well my parents flipped like they did and my brother was always the one to calm down everything. He had sat me down and said i'll make a deal with you no matter where we both are when you turn 21 we will have a beer together on your birthday as long as you dont do it again, he was 20 at the time (yea some seperation there). Year after our little deal he was shot and left for dead during a traffic stop. Needless to say i never kept the deal up as i did some real heavy drinking in my high school days but on my 21st birthday 4 yrs ago i went and got my liscense, bought my first legal beer and went and sat at my brothers grave and drank it. Well now over quite a few years its kinda become a tradition, on his birthday and my birthday doesnt matter what i have going i will find the time to make it up there.

So i'm there this afternoon and i hear a massive amount of harleys coming down the street, this is the one thing that will always put a knot in my stomach, theres a hearse, 2 limos, a pickup with a wrecked bike in the bed and about 150 harleys following. I'll let the club remain nameless but they're a well known outlaw club. So out of respect i stood up and walked to the edge of the grass as they passed, got a few nods, theres a few folks in the organization i know. I'm there around 2 hours probably thinking about leaving and a few of the guys i know walk over asked who i was visiting, we talked for a bit, they thanked me for my brothers service and went back with the rest. I was walking back to the truck as they all came back through and everyone of them had a hand down as they went by me. Probably one of most respectful i've ever seen in my time. Thought i'd share

us bikers revel in death. our runs, our patches, our stories, we write laws in their names; all for and about lost brothers and sisters. never have i seen a group of people gather closer together during times of loss, than when bikers get together to celebrate ones life. as bikers we are bound together. the life blood that flows through our machines, also flows through our veins. it is part of us and who we are. we know death. we temp it, tease it, even touch it, every time we go out for a ride. and i think knowing that death makes us more in touch with the boundary between the physical and spiritual worlds.
maybe that's why we revel in death, because we know him, as all our lost brothers and sister do. so we celebrate together, we drink together, we morn together. we are the ones known as Bikers.

i am very sorry for the loss of your brother. it seems you are doing the best you can to honor his memory.
sounds like you had a unique religious experience. thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you for sharing with this family we call the org. I am very sorry for the loss of your brother.

Thanks for sharing that, Dodge. It's good to share with your family.

Here's to your brother! :beerchug: - AJ

that was kinda uplifting... makes me wanna visit my bros grave... sumthin to think about...

but yeah- bikers are bikers. good people are good people. good bikers are good people and i am proud to be someone who grew up knowing how to share the world of bikes and all that goes with it. respect, honor, valueing those who are true was passed to me thru bikers when i was growing up...

sounds like a good tradition. :agree:

Actually felt pretty good to let it out! Not a whole lot of people know my story so i tend to keep alot about it bottled up
Thanks all:thumbsup:

I don't really have the words, but thank you for sharing this with us. I appreciate your brother's service.

Good story, and may he Rest in Peace.

Some Harley riders and/or clubs do show respect for us. I always feel something when I see a motorcycle precession, and it was realllllly hard to ride in a buddies of mine.

Sorry for your lost Bro, I too lost a Brother at a young age and know your pain! Thanx for sharing!

I had a funeral for a coworker last summer, he was a respected member of a local MC here. His funeral procession was with over 100 harleys and he was pulled behind a bike in a glass walled trailer. I was one of two sportbikes there. I think it was cool as hell

That is a great thing you do for your brother every year. My hats off to you! It is great to here that the Harley riders did such a good thing to show their respect for you and him. I am sure he is watching over you and please don't ever let him be forgotten. Great job everyone involved.

May your brother rest in peace. Good to hear your story brother. Its good to let it out to your extended family on the org.

Back