Homemade beer

black diamond busa

Team Jacob
Registered
So my girl got me a homemade beer kit for me for my birthday. I just got done bottling this morning and have to wait a couple more weeks to try it. I'm not much of a beer person but its pretty fun doing it. I can't wait to try there homemade ciders. I was just wondering who else does this in there free time and what kinda results your have gotten.

ForumRunner_20121106_081531.png

So my girl got me a homemade beer kit for me for my birthday. I just got done bottling this morning and have to wait a couple more weeks to try it. I'm not much of a beer person but its pretty fun doing it. I can't wait to try there homemade ciders. I was just wondering who else does this in there free time and what kinda results your have gotten.

That's cool!! I don't drink much less make beer but, my friend is addicted to making beer even though he's not a big drinker either. Make sure you follow steps to the t. I always have to listen to him cursing because after all the work and weeks waiting it didn't come out right :-)

Easier to make shine. Oh and if your good you dont need some fancy government license to "sell" it :laugh:

I used to make home beer years ago. I had a Mr. Beer kit at one time too and learned to increase the sugar to up the alcohol a little. Doesn't take much adjusting. All of my batches turned out good. I tried different mixes but preferred the amber and regular blends. I made several batches of dark but preferred the amber.

The hardest part was waiting until it was ready....:whistle:

I used to make home beer years ago. I had a Mr. Beer kit at one time too and learned to increase the sugar to up the alcohol a little. Doesn't take much adjusting. All of my batches turned out good. I tried different mixes but preferred the amber and regular blends. I made several batches of dark but preferred the amber.

The hardest part was waiting until it was ready....:whistle:

Well that's good to hear that this stuff turns out well. So far I left the beer in the keg for 3 weeks and going to keep it in the bottles for another 2-3 weeks. I think its pretty cool that you can mike and match different flavors also. I only added the amount of sugar they said to, how much extra did you add?

You need to be careful with the sugar, are you using Dextrose in your mixture as this is where you can increase you alcohol content, when you add the sugar at bottling you need to stick to the right measure or you will create a little bomb exploding glass bottles at night scares the bjesus out of every one.:laugh:

or you will create a little bomb exploding glass bottles at night scares the bjesus out of every one.:laugh:

Are you talking from experience lol I put in the amount that the instructions said to. This is my first batch and I did everything the way they said to so hopefully its doesn't turn out horrible bad

Well that's good to hear that this stuff turns out well. So far I left the beer in the keg for 3 weeks and going to keep it in the bottles for another 2-3 weeks. I think its pretty cool that you can mike and match different flavors also. I only added the amount of sugar they said to, how much extra did you add?

It's been about 10-15 years since I brewed but it doesn't take much per bottle...I went from the recommended 2.5 tsp to only 3 tsp. I experimented and eventually went back to the suggested amount but it is fun to brew several batches and taste test with friends. Yea, too much sugar will create a mess......:laugh:

Back