Vortex rearset hitting kickstand

Murfphy

Registered
My vortex v2 rearsets is hitting my kick stand when I try to shift. It's placed in the lowest setting (race). Was wondering if anyone knows how to get around this without removing the kick stand or raising the rearset.

Google search hasn't come up with anything so far.

Thanks

I'm 6'5 with a size 16 shoe. Plus thick legs. I need some room! I make this bike look like a 600 when Im sitting on it.

IMG_20821_zpsd33a5a08.jpg
IMG_20831_zpsee469e0a.jpg
IMG_20841_zps1c711b23.jpg
IMG_20851_zps7c090bbd.jpg
IMG_20861_zpsba318b16.jpg
IMG_20871_zps26c44fa3.jpg

When you say the rearset is hitting the kickstand - are you talking about the shift lever (that you use with your toes) is hitting the stand?

Do you think if the kick stand was lowered some that would cure your issue?

When you say the rearset is hitting the kickstand - are you talking about the shift lever (that you use with your toes) is hitting the stand?

Do you think if the kick stand was lowered some that would cure your issue?

Not sure at to how I could lower my kick stand. Im a noob at all this, but it looks like it will help. You can see the mark as to where the shifter hits the kick stand.

IMG_20871_zps26c44fa3.jpg

So I'll give it a shot. Is there a aftermarket lowering kit for the kick stand?

No after market that I know of.

What I would do is this - When the kick stand in is the up position there is a stop when it is all the way up.
Put the kick stand down and you will see the stop very clearly.
I would wrap electrical tape around the stop. Maybe 10-15 revolutions. This will prevent the kickstand from coming all the way up.
Therefore it would be lower. I suggest this as a trial to see if it helps. You could easily add more tape if it needed to go lower yet.
What you would need to do is see how far you could lower it but still have the kickstand switch engaged. If you lowered it to much it
might not engage the switch enough. If you got to that point then you could add tape to the part that makes contact with the switch to build that up.

Electrical tape is black and would match the stand and rear sets.
I wouldn't leave the tape on forever - it is mostly to test if this theory would work for you.
If it does then I would look into adding something more permanent like maybe welding some metal to take the place of the tape.
Then you could paint it glossy black to more match the new rear sets you have.

If that doesn't work for you the only other thing I can think of (right now) is to put washers behind the rear set to try and push it out farther.

OR loosen the bolt on the shift shaft lever, pull the lever away from the splined shift shaft and rotate if one tooth counter-clockwise and this will
raise the shifter up slightly from the position it is in now.

Not know how much (hard) you are hitting the kick stand I can't say for sure which of the above is going to work the best.
You may have to do a combination of the above to get the results you want.

Then again maybe none of them will work. Just passing what I think I would do IF I were in your shoes right now. :laugh:

That sounds like a solid plan my man! I will let you know how it works out.

And Thank You for taking the time. I hope one day I can return the time and effort you have given me. I really appreciate it.

Success!! suggestion #2 worked. I rode it and it is a totally different ride! More pressure on the wrist but my legs sit right where they should and Im more comfortable in my turns.

VORTEX V2! SICKNESS! LOVE THEM!

And thanks again REDBUSA. I really thank you for your help.

Just ran in to this same problem on a customers bike with those. I simply took the stand off, put it in a vice and heated it up by the pivot, and bent the stand in enough to clear. Stand still looks stock, and goes up all the way.

If you chose to go that route it's a good time to do the kickstand mod to ensure the bike doesn't roll forward off the stand.

Back