Virus shut my pc down for a while ...

Warputer

Father of 4=Madness
Donating Member
Registered
McAfee security suite ......anyone else use it ? Guess it's not fool proof . One virus made it through and locked my stuff up for 4 days . Only solution was to erase entire hard drive and reboot like the computer was from day one .
Don't even know where it came from . Spend 99% of my PC time right here on the .Org .
down.gif

I deal with this stuff daily, and McAfee as well as Norton are definitely not foolproof. They have gotten increasingly bigger over the last few years and are many times the cause of a computer problem instead of the prevention they are intended to be. My recommendation is to steer clear of that "bloatware" and go with another proven brand with a smaller footprint. McAfee in particular is also very bad about informing the user if and when updates are occurring. Many times, customers have erroneously assumed McAfee was auto-updating and protecting them when in reality it never once updated because the customer never created an account online with them. AVG is a good free option as someone already mentioned, or if you want a good internet suite, I recommend Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite or Computer Associates Internet Security Suite. I've had excellent results with both of those, and they are a fraction of the size of the "big two". (Zone Alarm ISS was PC mag's editors choice for Feb 06)

<!--EDIT|warbrown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144105435 -->

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back...Lost everything...I've got McAfee also thru AOL...

Back