Urgent PC help needed

him

"THE HAYABUSA STUNT GUY"
Donating Member
Registered
Hey need some help...got home this morning and my PC was rebooting itself dont know what happened it was just rebooting itself. I Check the floppy and it seemed to be fine so i figured i got a virus or something on the hard drive only thing is i didnt want to loose all my data on teh other drive by reformating it so i went out and purchased a new drive and i installed it. I tried to run the new drive as a master and the old one as a slave but when i connect both drives i neither one is recignized in the CMOS but with only the new drive it gets recoginized now my question is how do i go about getting the data off my old drive?

you more than likely got them both jumpered as masters. Set one to master, one to slave, recan once you drop in the bios.

If your system is rebooting when you connect to the net... there might be a probablity that its infected by the "sasser" work!! If thats the case... you can get a scanner and fix for it on the norton site!!

If your system is rebooting when you connect to the net... there might be a probablity that its infected by the "sasser" work!! If thats the case... you can get a scanner and fix for it on the norton site!!
Wouldnt be a problem is i could boot up the hard drive. Heres what ive tried so far

1: Set my new drive to master and old to slave when i got to CMOS neither drive shows up
2: Set my new drive to slave and old to master both drives show up...so then i go to boot from the slave drive thats working and what ever was on the first drive made its way to the second drive and both were rebooting by themselves.
3: i reformatted the new drive and was going to try and run it from a different IDE cable probably do that tomorrow. After i back up my files cause it took me about 2 hrs to get my pc back the way i wanted it...now i dont have any pics or music which suks.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

What is your boot sequense in the CMOS
rock.gif
The drives being master or slave is only for IDE controll... not to determine boot sequence!!

rock.gif
The drives being master or slave is only for IDE controll... not to determine boot sequence!!
IN CMOS you can set a priorty to your drives i set teh new drive to have the priority over the old drive my boot sequece is such...floppy, cd-rom harddrive.

rock.gif
IN CMOS you can set a priorty to your drives i set teh new drive to have the priority over the old drive my boot sequece is such...floppy, cd-rom harddrive.
Not a computer guy that is for sure...
biggrin.gif
(Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

Back