Valve Stem Question

itsminenow4sure

Registered
I have a question for you guys? I was riding on the highway and got a flat.
banghead.gif
It was night time so I couldnt see if it was something I ran over or what actually happened. I went to inspect the tire today and didnt see any nails or screws or anything. So I added air to the tire and when i took off the compressor air was coming out of the base of the valve stem. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? And will a local shop tell me if it is just the stem or do you think they will tell me I need new tires?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

sounds like just a stem problem, i havent had this prob thakfully

good luck bro
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Air it up and put some water and a little dish soap in a spray bottle. Spray some on the valve stem and see if you have any bubbles.
ThumbsUp.gif

I got a flat doin 120! Turned out to be my valve stem. It had a crack toward the base. I only have about 1000 miles since the new tires were put on. I was wondering if they changed the stems? They are a reputable shop so I assume they would have. I was also thinking that the spiked stem caps I have on might of had something to do with the crack. Maybe the extra weight from the spiked cap caused the stem to crack?
Shawn

Sometimes while replacing stems, the installer yanks too hard, or at angle stretch-cracking the new stem.....either that or the phone rang while he was yanking the old one out, the first girlfriend found out about the second girlfriend, and by the time he got done talking his way around it, he couldn't remember if he replaced it...common error....
coolold.gif

"Glad it wasn't fatal".....
super.gif

I have stainless stems. The rear was 20psi shy the other day pre-ride. Tightened up the stem so and it's all seems good now.

It is probably the heavier caps you have. A buddy of mine had the light-up stem covers and his rear valve stem went. the dealer replaced it and told him to keep the heavy valve stem caps off because when you accelerate quickly the heavier covers yankback on the stems and over time crack, so he took it off the rear and left the front one on and within two weeks he lost the front valve stem at about 120 Mph. if you want to keep your spike stem covers get the metal valve stems. just my 2 cents.

It is probably the heavier caps you have. A buddy of mine had the light-up stem covers and his rear valve stem went. the dealer replaced it and told him to keep the heavy valve stem caps off because when you accelerate quickly the heavier covers yankback on the stems and over time crack, so he took it off the rear and left the front one on and within two weeks he lost the front valve stem at about 120 Mph. if you want to keep your spike stem covers get the metal valve stems. just my 2 cents.
Sounds right to me. Metal stems?? I wish someone told me there was such a thing!

Back