Valve Stem Failure.....

Blue Bayou

Registered
YES, it's possible. There's a video on You-tube where a guy's Busa on the Dyno blows a rear valve stem, NOT pretty...!!
I went out to fire up my Busa this morning for a trip to the petrol station and after straddling her and trying to move backwards to no avail, I came to the conclusion she had a flat tire. I checked the entire tread area on the flat rear tire and found nothing. I then took my valve stem tool and gently tried to tighten the valve core itself. Well dang, it MOVED. I kept gently twisting it for a few more seconds and POW, the entire metallic valve mechanism blew off into my hand. After looking it over carefully, I realized that the valve assembly had become unbonded and had blown out of the rubber part. Good thing it had not happened whilst I was out riding in the boondocks...!!!
So to make the story short, I took it to a place that fixes motorcycle tires and they put a new valve stem in it for the measely sum of 38 bucks. BOY, what a bargain..!!! That was AFTER I removed the rear wheel and brought it in to them. I guess nothing's cheap in Florida..!!!
So in the 96 degree heat, I got it all back together and adjusted and she's ready for the grand voyage to the petrol station in the morning. :)
So, in parting Bros, my advice to everyone is to periodically examine your valve stems with a tug and twist to make sure they are still sound and in good shape.
I am including a photo to show you the separated valve assembly.
BB

IMG_6483.JPG

Replace with every tire change for me . They are less than .50 cents purchased in bulk . FYI get the super short one because the longs with speeds of 100 mph or more will tear after time causing a leak . I carry an extra , and fish tool for others for road side replacement . I have had to do it at a few rallies over the years

Replace with every tire change for me . They are less than .50 cents purchased in bulk . FYI get the super short one because the longs with speeds of 100 mph or more will tear after time causing a leak . I carry an extra , and fish tool for others for road side replacement . I have had to do it at a few rallies over the years

Yes, that's the way I have always operated, replace with every tyre change. I guess I should have checked the stem when I got the bike but it slipped my mind. I DID get the short stem, he only had a choice of two sizes. :-)
BB

I'm going to have to check mine when I finally get back. Haven't ridden in three years and it's been 5~6 years since the last set change.

I think I figgered out what facilitated the metal part to come loose from the rubber part. I believe it was chain lube sling off.
As I'm sure most of you know, oil and rubber don't play well together. I think the lube softened the rubber and then tightening down the valve stem cap probably twisted it a bit til it worked it's way out. When I tightened the core it turned just a couple more times and then it popped out.
BB

Like said before 90" metal racing valve stem NHRA approved ! so they cost a little more how cheap can a person be ?

Back