How to remove the valve stem?

IG.

Registered
I will be changing tires this weekend, and want to replace my rubber valve stems with metal ones. How do I remove the old ones?

Never removed valve stems before, and I anticipiate those suckers are stuck there pretty good. I don't want to scratch the valve stem seating area on the inside of the wheel, nor do I want to scratch the outside of the wheel. Not do I want to stand there in my garage all sweaty trying to figure out something other people have done about a gazzillon billion quadrillion times. :laugh:

From memory, and I was an old man five years ago; I just grabbed the stem from the inside of the wheel and yanked it out with pliers. The 90 degree ones I installed had a nut to keep them in place. Good luck. Experts with better memories should be along soon :laugh:

From memory, and I was an old man five years ago; I just grabbed the stem from the inside of the wheel and yanked it out with pliers. The 90 degree ones I installed had a nut to keep them in place. Good luck. Experts with better memories should be along soon :laugh:

+1....just grab and pull

The proper way to remove the stem itself is to slice off the bulb on the inside of the rim once the tire is removed with a sharp pocket knife and the stem falls out.

I thought you were only 46 yrs old. How could you be an old man 5 yrs ago?

I am 48 and feel like 28, lol.
I am glad I dont feel the same way you do. It must be the kids making you feel that way.

I thought you were only 46 yrs old. How could you be an old man 5 yrs ago?

I am 48 and feel like 28, lol.
I am glad I dont feel the same way you do. It must be the kids making you feel that way.

I'm actually 51 going on 21 :laugh:

Back