Used oil analysis

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
This is for my Harley, the purpose is just to explain how I interpret it and what it means to me. The Busa is due in about 500 miles, will post again, when that is done.

I used AGIP 4T racing 10W60 on the Harley. This is a factory recommend for my Husqvarna and also for Aprilia. Use to be for Ducati, but they changed. I use to work with lubricant developments for Mercedes, back in the 80's, but have not kept to date with later developments, standards etc., so this my interpretation.

The Husqvarna tears this oil up in 1,000 miles, could be fuel dilution, could be the gearbox. Harley engine oil does not see the gearbox, and surprisingly this oil held up pretty well in the Harley. I changed with Sillolene this time, but will go back to AGIP next change, as I have a load of the stuff in my garage and the analysis tells me that unlike the Husqvarna this oil works pretty good in the Harley.

Here is the analysis and below it my interpretation.

Harley0001.jpg

Going down the report, the left column is this analysis, while column three was the first analysis on Harley factory fill 20W50, that was the first factory oil sample before change on a new bike.

Aluminum has gone up slightly, from 5ppm to 8ppm, this being unusual since the motor is at the end of run-in, it should be lower. Will keep an eye on this, could be analysis error, or it could be the detergent package in Agip.

Both iron and copper has come down nicely, showing that the motor is settling down from new run-in, exactly what we want to see. Typically a Harley with 30,000 miles will give as low as 4ppm iron, so we expect to see this reduce further.

Very little Moly in this oil, same for the Harley factory fill at 3ppm. This is a JASO MA2 rating, so good for a wet clutch, really does not matter has a Harley clutch runs in separate oil.

As we move down we get to the additive package for Agip. Boron tested at 185, as opposed to the 290 in Harley's oil. Boron is a friction modifier, or a solid lubricant. It comes from Boron Nitride, the analysis does not tell us enough to know if the two different oils used the same additive, but we know that the oil has something in it providing for low friction and high load carrying capacity. It is also a substitute for Moly.

When we look at Calcium and Magnesium, it does not tell us much, other than these two oils have very different detergent packages. The analysis does not tell us enough, but the higher Calcium and lower Magnesium in Agip compared to Harley could mean two things: 1.) Harley is using a cheaper detergent package, using Phenates as Magnesium and Calcium salts. This would be a bit concerning with the high Magnesium content. 2.) Harley is using a more expensive detergent, using a combination of sulfonate and phenate detergents, which could be better. At the end of the day, we don't know.

Phosphorus and Zinc between the two oils tested pretty similar. The Zinc we see is a anti-wear additive and so is Phosphorus. The latter is not too friendly to catalytic converters, but who cares right? Phosphorus is the stuff than can reduce camshaft pitting.

The last part is the most important to me and that is how did the oil viscosity hold up? For my Harley, that was perfect, it started at a 60 weight and sheared down towards the high end of a 50 weight. AGIP is a PAO group IV base, so with good viscosity stay in grade properties and a better oil film, this stuff is not bad.

To conclude, the oil analysis told me two things, being I can continue using AGIP and my motor is running-in nicely.

PS. For the Harley haters, I did the 5,000 mile service at 4,000 miles and it took me the best part of 40 minutes to do everything listed in the book service schedule. :laugh:

need MOAR!!

sidenote...lets see some busa analysis! i would do mine...but i have NO idea what the PO put in the bike. accept that its still clean and clear.

Back