Unusual Fuel Issue

Tony_Beech

Registered
I promise I'm not being a newbie here.. well, to this site I am but i'm not a newbie rider, I'm experienced but I have a newb question and I don't want someone to say how many times this has been asked because I know it will have been asked a lot... but I need to ask...

My 2000 plate Busa has been parked up for a while (maybe 2-3 years) but it's been dry stored. I had a resident mouse living in it for a while but now all traces of him are gone, she starts, rides and stops the way she should but for one issue. Fuel.

I took it for a rear tyre and the whole trip is no more than 25 miles. The fuel gauge says it used 3/4 of a tank... so much so that I actually thought I was going to run out on the way home it seemed to be using it so quick. Tank up, no leaks from the tank into the engine...so the mouse hasn't chewed any fuel line.... but I did notice a very small leak in the bottom corner of the tank. Very slight I would call it a weap but what kinda tank range should I expect from it as it's recently been serviced and is really running lovely. I know it depends but "roughly"... what are my min and max range I should expect? This leak on the bottom edge is tiny but I'm wondering if the tank gets pressurised as it's being used and pushes the fuel out quicker or not? If this weap is not the cause, I'm kinda asking for ideas for why the consumption appears to be shocking? 25 miles is ridiculous, right?

You can ck the mpg while riding. push the setting button on the gauge a couple times and it will bring it up. 35-50 mpg is what I usually get while cruising. But any leak is not good and you really shouldn't ride it until you get it fixed. Or carry a fire extinguisher in you backpack :D

Stored dry for a long time aye?
I’d be taking the sensor unit out of the tank and freeing of the (possibly) seized float, connected to the potentiometer, that tells the gauge on the dash how much fuel you have in the tank, if you were loosing that amount of fuel, due to a leak, you would probably resemble Jonny storm from the fantastic 4 by now lol.
I crashed my 2000 Busa and the gauge showed full, wouldn’t change, got it home and took the unit out, couldn’t believe the amount of rust on the unit, worked a treat after I cleaned it up.

Wouldn’t you look like a diesel truck going down the road if your bike was burning a gallon every 10 miles or so. When you “tank up” with the bike showing that it only has 1/4 tank left, how much fuel does it take to fill it?

Back