Typical gen 2 injector self destruction.

In the first post I talk about why this happens.
Ok, duh, I'll go back and recap lol.

"The root cause of this havoc is how the tips of the injectors are designed. There’s a metal screen if you will with 8 TINY holes. They are not made from stainless steel, so the tips rust and start partially blocking these holes causing irregular spray patterns. Usually with a few weeks of the bike sitting the detergents in the fuel clean them out. But after several months or years of sitting they always take a turn for the worst and you could potentially end up like what I’ve shown here. "

I'm enjoying your write up and technical info on this subject Rob, keep going . . .

i think another problem that contributes to the secondaries becoming clogged is lack of high flow use. i looked at reprogramming the c mode to run 80% secondaries at cruise and road riding to help keep clean, changing the injector bias with ecu editor. started this idea, never saw it through ( no wideband on the 08). although if i can find some e85 locally,...

I use seafoam in my tank sometimes is this good or bad?!
I use it in many of my small engines. I put fuel injector cleaner in my bike every other fill up.

I put it in my gas pressure washer fuel tank yesterday and after a few minutes of running, I could actually hear the engine's exhaust note change...it was running a bit lumpy and then straightened right out and ran smooth...

Is it safe to assume that my bike will suffer this same fate? It sat for years without being ridden. So long in fact, the gas tank rusted and had to be lined.

My 09 sits on stands most of the time, 10,000 miles gives me 1,000 a year.

It idles smooth though, gas consumption if I baby it is still close to 50mpg and I have not felt any power loss.

Probably time to run some Wynns fuel cleaner through for the next three tanks of gas just to make sure.

Non technical folks do funny stuff though, and end up with all kinds of problems. Could be that the bike in question sat with a 1/8th tank of REGULAR gas on the side stand for a year or more.

I have a Honda mower going on 18 years, changed the oil once with some bike synthetic stuff I had left over, it sits every winter and has never been serviced. It starts on the first pull after sitting for a whole winter. All I do is close the fuel cock when done and let the motor run until it dies after mowing.

Is it safe to assume that my bike will suffer this same fate? It sat for years without being ridden. So long in fact, the gas tank rusted and had to be lined.
Could very well be your bikes' fate as well...I'd plan for it...

Oh man I'm gonna open up my bird and see what's in there. I travel often so at times it doesn't get used for a month or two. Good thing I learned about this issue since now Im also aware of the carbon build up on DI engines. Sending my Mercedes and Camaro to get Walnut shell blasted and get all that crud out of there. Dont have the time now to get a rig set up for walnut blasting but considering the number of engines I have that are DI I really should. Thx for the help!

Here the pics of that low mileage stage 1 08. I was like WTF when I made the first hit on the dyno and saw 180hp I thought I left a charge pipe off. Not the case. Gotta have compression to make power!

You can see some similarities between the two bikes. Obviously the 08 was further along.
View attachment 1601289

View attachment 1601290

View attachment 1601291

View attachment 1601292

View attachment 1601293
So since the screen on the injectors isn't stainless can it be replaced with a stainless screen? Gonna get a Motion Pro injector cleaner and clean these guys out good. Be good If I could replace the problem area with stainless steel part.

I'm a little lost here. Pulled my injectors to clean at nearly 60k. looked very clean and certainly nowhere close to those pictured. Use B-12 every few tankfuls and ride on and off. Most my bike sits is a month or three. Back of valves have a little carbon buildup but are pretty clean. I have used the foaming valve cleaner without issue and it works OK. Spray in a little, let it sit overnight and start her up the next day.

So since the screen on the injectors isn't stainless can it be replaced with a stainless screen? Gonna get a Motion Pro injector cleaner and clean these guys out good. Be good If I could replace the problem area with stainless steel part.
Motion pro cleaner works great!

Back