Turning up the Turbo

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
I'm finally getting a Turbo. The bike i'm getting has a new Hahn stage1 kit with the wastegate set at the lowest setting of 7pounds.  I talked to the Hahn tech guys and they say i could turn up the turbo to 8 pounds for a higher HP level. Since i'm using a PC3usb, would i need to get the bike remapped for this gain?  I'm decent with wrenching on my bike but i know you can Fubar an engine in notime by overboosting. Turbo's are a new thing to me and i'm trying to learn all i can.

I want to add that i'm not out to get the top HP i can right off the bat. I simply want to know if i can up the boost at a later date.

I would ride it like it is 1 pound of boost is not gonna make a heap of difference...I would go to the dyno and even see if it's safe where it's set.

Paul, need some more info. Checked the thread but didn't see any of this info
Spacer, stock inj?

I plan on only running 6# on my kit to keep it safe.
Even thought about dropping to 4#.

But yes, I do believe that you would have to get it mapped for the increase.

Also, if you decide to increase and get it remapped, I might have some S2000 injectors for sale that I might not use.
Direct bolt in and adds more fuel.

Usually when you up the boost you need to add fuel and sometimes you will also need to back some timing out as well.But if your only going up one pound it shouldn't be a big issue unless the tune up was already a little on the lean side.The biggest issue you need to keep an eye on is the air/fuel ratio,if you keep it in check you should be fine,thats where an onboard wideband will become your best friend,also if you get one with data logging thats helps alot to get your tune in check without ever having to go to the dyno_Oh yeah,you can see a a one pound increase when winter gets here and it's sucking in that good cool dense charge also.

7lbs of boost creates a 50% increase in torque on average, 1lb is not really going to be a noticeable gain. After this first 50% increase, the improvements drop pretty rapidly due to the temp of the air.

Our top alcohol car ran 42lbs of boost and a massive intercooler (air temps were in excess of 350degrees post turbo) You can actually make a better increase in power by cooling the 7lbs of air over adding 2 or 3 more pounds. As posted above, it is all in "density" (is also why turbos blow the doors of superchargers at any given level of boost pressure)

1 lb will be about 10hp , BUT check your current boost levels and make sure you have no boost creep or 8 may turn into 10 then bang....

If its working well now i would leave well enough alone.

(GoldenChild @ Sep. 20 2007,11:21) I would ride it like it is 1 pound of boost is not gonna make a heap of difference...I would go to the dyno and even see if it's safe where it's set.
+1

1 pound isn't going to make any notable difference.

Any additional boost is going to require a remapping at the very least... My philosphy is build big, run conservative and you will keep your stuff running reliably. Once you start pushing the limits of the stock engine, you are asking for trouble if you ask me. Everything has got to be perfect or kaboom.

See how it runs for ya; I have a feeling it may be plenty... I had no idea what a turbo bike could do before I bought my stuff and I went bigger thinking a cool 450HP would do the trick... It wasn't till I got her together and working which took a few seasons that I realized what it meant to just have 300HP on a 500lb bike...
AAAssjani.gif

Don't get caught up in who has the most HP... who really cares anyway...
beerchug.gif
THe thing I hate the most is these guys going out there spending ungodly amounts of money just to prove who has the biggest extension if you know what I mean and they never intended to use what the bike's got anyway... POSERS!
rant.gif

Cloud

(OZBooster @ Sep. 20 2007,23:57) 1 lb will be about 10hp , BUT check your current boost levels and make sure you have no boost creep or 8 may turn into 10 then bang....

If its working well now i would leave well enough alone.
+1 (low buck or too small wastegates are real problems)

Paul, +1 leave it be the way it is get used to it the way it is now maybe get it on a dyno to be sure how it's set now, also you said you'v never road a turbo bike before LOL you wont beleve what that thing will do just take it easy to you get real used to it you may not want more hp than it's got BE SAFE GO FAST

After riding it around my neighborhood today i'm gonna leave the 7lbs setting as-is for now. The bike has alot more power than my 1397 put out. I'm happy.

(GMbusa @ Sep. 23 2007,19:21) After riding it around my neighborhood today i'm gonna leave the 7lbs setting as-is for now.  The bike has alot more power than my 1397 put out.  I'm happy.
Cool for now!

Back