Turbo versus Supercharger?

Spike

Donating Member
Registered
Hey folks,

I am just beginning research on turbo's for the Busa. I am just trying to see what is out there and what is entailed in setting one up. I would like to do it all myself. I hear about "Turbo's" all the time but never superchargers. Why is this?

I am specifically looking at this: http://www.calisuperbikes.com/index_files/Page554.htm

Any thoughts on this? Are they harder to install? harder to tune?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank is advance,
-Spike

main reason is efficiency..

A turbo does a much better job of compressing air without heating it.. Air density is just as important as manifold pressure. A supercharger is like an eggbeater and beats the tar out of the air charge... It does create a quicker response at the throttle but has less total power on the big end..

Some of the newer blower designs are far better than the old roots blower (Norm Drazy's PSI blower is a screw compressor and the Vortex is a centrifugal similar to a turbo blade) but they require a mechanical drive setup and IMO are more work after they are setup..

I know Norm does not make a small PSI but you MIGHT be able to do a Vortex setup if they have small enough housings and you have enough room..

Thanks for the reply. Good info.

Do you know of any online resources I could browse that would give me some detail on how to install one of these kits? Whether turbo or supercharger?

I am trying to do a cost estimate and need to know if I can do it myself. On my older bike I could go as far as changing cams and rejetting carbs but never really dug into the "guts" such as piston/head work. In your opinion, what "degree of skill" will a turbo or supercharger require? Just for installation, I realize tuning is another matter.

Pipefitter has an almost brand new system for sale... he will probably see this thread...

Installing a kit would take IMO moderate mechanical ability.. they are mostly "bolt on" and if you get a system with the oil pan and other odds and ends all you need is the tools and some time..

I saw that kit he has for sale. I am not really in the market right now but he definitely has me thinking.

Back