Turbo question

A'Busa'd

Donating Member
Registered
Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum, but I don't know where else to post it.

My daughter has a 2000 turbo beetle. I noticed oil in the IC piping when I disconnected the intercooler to do some work on her car. About 1/2 to 3/4 cup of oil came out of the IC when I disconnected it. This is the lowest point of the system. I figured a blown oil seal in the turbo so I started looking for a replacement. I found a used turbo with about 14k on it for $100, so I bought it and it just arrived today.

The new turbo seems to have some shaft play and not knowing much about turbos, I don't know if it is a big concern. When I try to move the shaft end to end there is no play, but when I wiggle the shaft side to side there is a little play. Aslo, there is an oil film on the inside of the turbo outlet.

Should I be concerned about the oil in the IC on the original setup? The car doesn't smoke and doesn't seem to have unusual oil consumption.

Is it normal for a low mileage turbo to have the kind of shaft play that I described?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if collecting oil in the IC is normal for a 2000 beetle, but it was common on the Buick GNs.

there are probably some tolerences the turbo has for shaft play. Do some research and see if you can get this info and then you'll know.

yes , i had a 00' turbo beetle myself and it is normal for some oil to come from the turbo . but i hope for your sake that your not having as mant problems with your as i did with mine ! and it is normal for some play to be in spool , it needs some play for oil to lubricate the shaft . just make sure that it spins freely without hitting the housing

Thanks ca03busa, I think I'll probably have it checked out, but your most likely right. The oil has to get around there somehow.

Back