trips getting closer... thinkin bout turbo!

8overin808

Registered
Ok so for those of you who have kept up to date on my all too infrequent posts here, you will know that I'm planning a cross country trip from cali to NY next spring.

here's my prob, got a good line on a velocity stage 2 from my mechanic. thinkin bout slappin it on before my trip (like next week so i have lots of time to make an 8 sec pass and work out any kinks before the spring) problem is I'm not sure if it's the smartest decision. anyone out there doing long touring on a turbo 'busa? any input would be appreciated.

also, once i get to NYC, space will be a major concern, i'll be storin my busa at a family house in bumf*ck upstate NY, but since i'll be living in the city, i don't know how much time i'll really have to work on it, (i don't wanna be too much of a bother to them) who's good with busa's around NYC, or anywhere in NY state. I don't mind a drive. Preferably someone who works on turbo bikes since even if i don't do the turbo here, i plan on getting there eventually.

many thanks to everyone, lookin forward to my trip whether i'm boosted or not.

As in for boost. Go talk with the motorhead. At least he will be with reasonable distance from NY. Good luck on your trip. What month do you plan on taking off? I did my cross country trip at the end of May a couple of years ago. Take the southern route in there is snow on the rockies. I hated life riding through the colorado rockies with slush on the roads.

As in for boost.  Go talk with the motorhead.  At least he will be with reasonable distance from NY.  Good luck on your trip.  What month do you plan on taking off?  I did my cross country trip at the end of May a couple of years ago.  Take the southern route in there is snow on the rockies.  I hated life riding through the colorado rockies with slush on the roads.
thanks for the tips. the plan is for the southern route as I have friends/fam in vegas, texas, georgia, virginia's, carolina's etc... people i haven't seen since i was a kid, since i grew up in hawaii, being able to visit extended family was always a major to do. i plan on catching up with a lot of people on this trip.

Ok so for those of you who have kept up to date on my all too infrequent posts here, you will know that I'm planning a cross country trip from cali to NY next spring.

here's my prob, got a good line on a velocity stage 2 from my mechanic.  thinkin bout slappin it on before my trip (like next week so i have lots of time to make an 8 sec pass and work out any kinks before the spring) problem is I'm not sure if it's the smartest decision.  anyone out there doing long touring on a turbo 'busa?  any input would be appreciated.  

also, once i get to NYC, space will be a major concern, i'll be storin my busa at a family house in bumf*ck upstate NY, but since i'll be living in the city, i don't know how much time i'll really have to work on it, (i don't wanna be too much of a bother to them)  who's good with busa's around NYC, or anywhere in NY state.  I don't mind a drive.  Preferably someone who works on turbo bikes since even if i don't do the turbo here, i plan on getting there eventually.

many thanks to everyone, lookin forward to my trip whether i'm boosted or not.
personally... I dont' think its a good idea to go touring with the turbo... The main things I would be worried about is theft and things going wrong
biggrin.gif

The tubo bikes are maintenance... I would hate to get out there and have something happen... I was taking my bike out a couple of months back and the fuel hose poped off the stock fuel rail and blew gasoline like 10 feet in front of the bike... Could have been a fire or worse... I will only be taking my bike for 1 day trips and not overnighting that is for sure.

I asked the same question you did back before I purchased my ghetto stage 2... After 6 months of building and still working on tuning it, I know realize how much goes into making it work "right."

There will be more to it then "slapping it on," trust me on that... ;)

At the very least, you are counting on having the bike done by the time you want to take your trip... I am not even sure you can count on that... If you are doing stage 1, you will probably get her done and working right... But if you are doing stage 2 with engine mods, I would be a little more reluctant to think you will have her done by then...

You never know what may go wrong when building a turbo bike, be prepared for things NOT to go well...

Cloud

anytime you go high performance, things can go wrong.I would not turbo it before a trip like that.. my .02.

If you take the trip and have a problem I have a full working auto performance shop. Also located nearby is formula one motorsports (bike shop) they have a dyno. If you need a place to keep it while you are here there is tons of room in my shop. Good luck-Ride safe.

I think one of the biggest issues would be planning fuel stops. High octane fuel isnt sold at every gas station.

If you take the trip and have a problem I have a full working auto performance shop. Also located nearby is formula one motorsports (bike shop) they have a dyno. If you need a place to keep it while you are here there is tons of room in my shop. Good luck-Ride safe.
thanks for that. I'll be sure to look you guys up when i make it to NY. I've made my decision. no turbo for me, not yet anyway. after talking it over with my mechanic, and reading your posts, it's too much risk for not enough of a reward. Also, it's too much to learn about in the relatively short time i have before I ship the bike to cali.

Instead, i'm gonna get some PM wheels, ceramic bearings and wave rotors. having a lighter wallet ~er umm, i mean bike makes for better gas mileage right???
tounge.gif

i guess 173hp and 103ftlbs will have to do in order to make it cross country.
smile.gif

thanks for the advice everyone

Back