Tranny Help

ssober

Registered
I just put my 05 back together. I bought it with a second gear issue. I sent the tranny out and had it back cut, new second gear, robinson output, tool steel shift shafts, 2 new forks. I assembled it and it doesn't feel right when I shift. It air shifts well but it won't hold in the lower gears when I decelerate. I can upshift and it holds fine but when I let off and coast to shut down or maintain the speed it pops out of gear. I hope I don't have to split the cases again.
Is it in the linkage or in the shift star mechanism? any help will be appreciated.

I haven't rode it yet but I took the shift assembly apart and found a spring bind on the spring that hold the roller against the shift star. It shifts more positive and seems to have been a simple repair.

I have found that if the linkage is not tight it will cause issues...in my case it is hard to get into first gear...it clicks but it is not fully locked in. After adjusting the rod a few flats and tighten the jam nuts it is fine.

Good luck with correcting it...check the throw of the shift linkage...so that it is equal up and down motion on the spline shaft. It doesn't sound exactly your situation but it may help in some way

Thanks. I hope I got it. It feels much better and when the wheel that rides on the star was not following the star and just hanging in mid air I think that is the issue. We will see. I played with the linkage first because pulling the billet cover, overflow, water pump ect. I am just glad I did not split the cases.

It is what I found. the roller that holds tension on the shift star had a bind on the spring and it was not returning to hold tension on the star. I must have put it together wrong. I took dynoed it and took it down the track a few times and it works great.

Back