Track day bike

hbus1300

Registered
I currently have a 03 le that I have done nearly everything to that I can afford to make it handle better. I've had traxxion dynamics rebuild my rear shock with different valving and spring, also bought some front springs from them. I've went to a 180 rear and stainless lines. This all started this summer when I went to the Gap and found the twisties were all in all better than the high speed stuff, probably safer too. That trip spurred these mods. Just recently I did a track day at Gateway in Ill. and was happy with the performance, but found the lighter bikes would eat me in the sharper corners. I definately still have some potential as far as my ability goes, however at this point the 100-150 lbs + the longer wheelbase is a limiting factor. By the end of the track day I was in intermediate pushing the limits of the street pilot powers I was on. Anyways to the point, I am considering getting rid of the busa and getting a 03 R-1 that a friend is selling. @ $5000 the R-1 is a deal and I think it will be much faster on the track, or at least throught the twisty stuff. I would like to keep the busa and get this bike but it just isnt in the cards right now. Anyone have any opinions on this? I just dont want to do it and then regret it later on. Thanks for any feedback.

If the twisties is what you want, the Busa can do them. But you'll have to be a better rider than the guy on the 1k. If you do alot of riding you'll miss the comfort of the Busa . My 2 cents.

Finding deals on liter bikes is easier than hayabusas. Maybe think about waiting and see if you can afford both later. There'll always be another R1 deal...

Thats a good point, it seems although the msrp is similar, liter bikes depreciate faster. Busas always seem to be worth $6000+ regardless of year. Any sugestions of things I can do to make it handle better that I havent already done? Of course being a better rider always helps, but I am just looking for things on the bike to change as well.

i agree that you do have to be a better rider on a busa. i roll corners pretty hard and i roll with gsxr750s, sv1000s, gsxr1000s, rc51s, and other things. remember that even if you have to square up the sharper corners, you will be on there ass if not passing them at the corner exits and the straights. put some suspension, good tires, and brakes and all the sudden they will be pushing it when you are not. and on the way home you will be more comfortable hehe.

Back