Torque wrench question

JrGMan

Registered
I have decided to buy a torque wrench for working on the bikes and was trying to decide between a 3/8" drive rated at 5-75 ft. lbs. or a 1/2" drive rated between 20-150 ft. lbs.  Anyone care to offer an opinion on which would be more suitable for bike use?  
all_coholic.gif

5 to 75 those small fastners are the ones most often damaged. Good for the oil plug too which is the worst for stripping it seems.
beerchug.gif

(8Daytona8 @ Jul. 08 2007,19:59) 5 to 75 those small fastners are the ones most often damaged. Good for the oil plug too which is the worst for stripping it seems.  
beerchug.gif
+1

(8Daytona8 @ Jul. 08 2007,19:59) 5 to 75 those small fastners are the ones most often damaged. Good for the oil plug too which is the worst for stripping it seems.
beerchug.gif
I agree and not only what 8Daytona8 said but the size is also a problem in some spots. I use a 3/8 craftsman 5 to 75 ftlbs paid around $100 for it.

I have three... one digital goes to 150 ft lbs (1/2 inch drive), one goes to 75, and the small one is graduated in inch pounds (up to 20 ft lbs) for accuracy on the small stuff. Everytime a bolt comes off by bike, it goes back on to factory specs. Good practice.
beerchug.gif

(Learjett @ Jul. 08 2007,22:04) I have three... one digital goes to 150 ft lbs (1/2 inch drive), one goes to 75, and the small one is graduated in inch pounds (up to 20 ft lbs) for accuracy on the small stuff.  Everytime a bolt comes off by bike, it goes back on to factory specs.  Good practice.  
beerchug.gif
I wouldn't expect anything else from you George, but tell me, how do the wrenches compare from one another as far as accuracy???

(JrGMan @ Jul. 08 2007,18:flamethrowing:) I have decided to buy a torque wrench for working on the bikes and was trying to decide between a 3/8" drive rated at 5-75 ft. lbs. or a 1/2" drive rated between 20-150 ft. lbs.  Anyone care to offer an opinion on which would be more suitable for bike use?  
all_coholic.gif
If you are able, I recommend you get them both.

Just my .02

(MC MUSTANG @ Jul. 08 2007,21:17)
(JrGMan @ Jul. 08 2007,18
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) I have decided to buy a torque wrench for working on the bikes and was trying to decide between a 3/8" drive rated at 5-75 ft. lbs. or a 1/2" drive rated between 20-150 ft. lbs.  Anyone care to offer an opinion on which would be more suitable for bike use?  
all_coholic.gif
If you are able, I recommend you get them both.

Just my .02
+1, I have three, 1/2, 3/8, ft. lbs. and 3/8 in. lbs. Snap-on.

Back