Torque wrench best for Busa?

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Doing more and more self maintenance...what's the proper sized torque wrench, 1/4" or 1/2"?

You are going to need at least 2 maybe 3 torque wrenches to cover the torque spectrum  
tounge.gif

The front sprocket torque is 105 ft-lbs
The front brake caliper bolts are 28 ft-lbs
The speed sensor bolt is 3 ft-lbs

1/4" 3/8" or 1/2" doesn't really matter as you probably have or can get adapters.

If you are only going to buy one for now, I would start with a 10 thru 75ft-lbs torque wrench, it'll cover the most common torques used on your bike.

I have three torque wrenches in the tool box: 3/8 inch lbs, 3/8 foot lbs. and a 1/2 foot lbs.

a thing to keep in mind is... is there a possibility of greater damage done by a faulty / incorrect calibrated torque wrench? you can make up $40-$100 really quick by having to replace damaged parts caused by using a cheap torque wrench. just my .02

do you and your bike a favor... Sears has a pretty decent torque wrench for "reasonable" money..

yup, got a couple from Sears for Xmas! The digital is very nice. Dont have to read the scale on the shaft of it.
beerchug.gif

Kind of expensive, but I use Snap-on touque wrenches. But then again, the majority of my tools are Snap-on, and Mac.

That would be a great range, 10-150ft-lbs.  

And the price is really cheap, $9.99 plus shipping.

I just don't know about the brand Pittsburg.  Ask around and see if it a good brand.  No sense in getting a too cheap torque wrench.
I have one of those harbor freight torque wrenches....my dad bought it for me as a gift 3 or so years ago. I use it alot from a few ft-lbs all the way up to 100+...its been great so far...hasn't stripped anything (including oil drain plugs
wowold.gif
winkold.gif
)....nothings come loose.....I like it
thumb_up.gif
winkold.gif
cool.gif

I didn't realize it was so cheap tho...$9.99, is that a sale or what?
I think dad was cheaping out
wowold.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But he buys himself the same stuff
laugh.gif
guess I can't complain
shutup.gif

winkold.gif

wowold.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

i wouldn't risk damaged parts by getting a cheap torque wrench its just not worth the hassle in my book and its an investment in you bikes well being

I could not decide either

top to bottom

1/4" 1-75 in-lbs
3/8" 15-100 ft-lbs
1/2" 30-250 ft-lbs

I have had them all tested a few times for calibration. the 3/8 is 10 years old, the others are almost 30!

Buy a quality one and it will last a lifetime!

torque.jpg

Back