Top speed question

yeti

Registered
I'm going on a group ride tomorrow in southern Indiana and after the ride we all go out to a two mile airport. Well they let you go as fast as you want. I still have the speed restricter but my question is: I've buried my speedometer before (185) and it never shut down. My bike is geared -1 +2. How is this possible?

I'm taking a gps tomorrow to see how fast I can go and if it really does shut down at 186.

I've pegged my speedo twice [186] and the GPS never passed 172 and I ran out of room.  factory stock bike
so I never reached 186 to know

To get to 186 AND stop in two miles, you better have great speed coming off the Taxiway on to the Runway. If not, I doubt you could pull 186+ and stop. Unless your REALLY GOOD, which I'am NOT
laugh.gif

Bike is about 8mph actual slower then the speedometer. Have fun stay safe on the runway. To get bullied into doing more then you feel comfortable

The limiter is very subtle, almost like hitting the governor on a diesel engine. You have throttle left but it doesn't do anything. It feels like the engine just doesn't have anything left, but in reality it is being held back by the ECU. In stock form, but derestricted the best my '03 would manage was mid 190's. Didn't take much work to break the magic number but that last bit requires a lot of road to reach.

I'm going on a group ride tomorrow in southern Indiana and after the ride we all go out to a two mile airport.  Well they let you go as fast as you want.  I still have the speed restricter but my question is:  I've buried my speedometer before (185) and it never shut down.  My bike is geared -1 +2.  How is this possible?

I'm taking a gps tomorrow to see how fast I can go and if it really does shut down at 186.
Well here is how it is possible. A stock bike is geared with a 17 tooth front and a 40 tooth rear. You have a 16 tooth front and a 42 tooth rear. This gearing is lower than stock, therefore, your speedo will have even more error than stock unless you have installed a speed-o-healer or similar.

So with your combo you have a top speed of about 167. +/-

If you have not installed a speedo correction device (speed-o-healer) then you can bury that needle all day long and twice on Sundays with the results you described.

I'm surprised their for leagal reasons and ins. that they let you do this. What a deal!

Well just got back from the ride. It was in Terre Haute by the way. Started off a beautiful day then we all met at the harley davidson there. Probably 1000 to 1200 bikes total with maybe 20 to 25 sportbikes(Only one other busa
sad.gif
We took off a little after 1 and got 5 miles down the road and it absolutely poured on us! It rained like crazy! We pulled over and let the rain pass then took off again. Got to the runway and it was still a little wet so I didn't go really fast. Checked the gps afterward and I went 156. It was pretty neat though. No restrictions whatsoever. Everyone took off and you could go as fast as you wanted and there was plenty of room because its an international airport. Probably 50 yards wide. All in all it was a good time.

To get to 186 AND stop in two miles, you better have great speed coming off the Taxiway on to the Runway. If not, I doubt you could pull 186+ and stop. Unless your REALLY GOOD, which I'am NOT
laugh.gif
+100 agree

180mph is 3mi a minute,so you have two mi to start and stop and your trying to go faster then 180mph,unless you have a 7sec bike thats hard to do,not saying you cant do it,but you have to shut it right down ASAP.or your gonna run out of room,2mi isnt alot of room,we have a 5mi stretch around here and its a quick 5mi,couldnt imagine 2mi

I never said I got up to 180, I said 156. Getting back to my original point, what is it in the bike that regulates speed? It can't have anything to do with the speedometer because I've buried that plenty of times.

Well here is how it is possible. A stock bike is geared with a 17 tooth front and a 40 tooth rear. You have a 16 tooth front and a 42 tooth rear. This gearing is lower than stock, therefore, your speedo will have even more error than stock unless you have installed a speed-o-healer or similar.

So with your combo you have a top speed of about 167. +/-

If you have not installed a speedo correction device (speed-o-healer) then you can bury that needle all day long and twice on Sundays with the results you described.
Bingo!... your speedo is so jacked now,you probably show 70mph on the freeway and still get passed by people doing 55..

We have a runway here in Terre Haute that they let you run once a year on the Mayors ride. Just happened yesterday, but 1/2 way through i gave up and never made it to the airport. Thunder Lightning, pooring rain just doesnt add up to top speed run on a airstrip to me.

Man that picture does look a lot like Hulman Feild to me. If thats it the on that runs left to right is the strip they run the ride down. comes down that little access road in far right corner and runs full length to last turn off on left side, comes 1/2 way back and out the gates onto a city road.

Man that picture does look a lot like Hulman Feild to me. If thats it the on that runs left to right is the strip they run the ride down. comes down that little access road in far right corner and runs full length to last turn off on left side, comes 1/2 way back and out the gates onto a city road.
Trust me, it is Hulman Field.

If you doubt it, click below.

http://www.huf.com/

Well just got back from the ride.  It was in Terre Haute by the way.  Started off a beautiful day then we all met at the harley davidson there.  Probably 1000 to 1200 bikes total with maybe 20 to 25 sportbikes(Only one other busa
sad.gif
 We took off a little after 1 and got 5 miles down the road and it absolutely poured on us!  It rained like crazy!  We pulled over and let the rain pass then took off again.  Got to the runway and it was still a little wet so I didn't go really fast.  Checked the gps afterward and I went 156.  It was pretty neat though.  No restrictions whatsoever.  Everyone took off and you could go as fast as you wanted and there was plenty of room because its an international airport.  Probably 50 yards wide.  All in all it was a good time.
hey bud, which busa was yours? i was there on my busa, had my buddy next to me on his all black 07 busa. I did see about 3 or 4 more. just in the lot behind the olive garden.

Back