Tools for a wannabe

I expected better than this packaging, in a bent up, single layer box.

(Please ignore the burnt orange shag. That is not who I am.)

2023:10:03 12:48:28_Snapon First Shipment_resize.JPG

I received this on Thursday and just assembled it. At a relaxed pace the unpacking and assembly took about 2 hours 15 minutes. I had some confusion as there is an extra set of bolts (thank you Easter Bunny!) The abba company did a nice job overall with the instructions and straightforwardness of the assembly.

I was initially going to order the set of bike connectors. Due to import restrictions based on a specific dollar level for each order, abba suggests placing multiple orders. Thus I ordered just the stand, and they provided a set of adapters for one bike so the busa is covered. I will need another set for the VFR later on and can get just those adapters or I may get the entire set to future-proof the kit.

I have a lot of studying to do before I hoist this thing for the first time.

It is getting cold and depressing, and hinting at the end of riding for the year. I hope for some rides before that happens, and delaying the start of work for more rides would be just fine. That the socket for the rear wheel is one of the back-ordered items fits the current schedule. :D

2023:10:07 11:40:27_Abba Sky Lift_crop.JPG

I received this on Thursday and just assembled it. At a relaxed pace the unpacking and assembly took about 2 hours 15 minutes. I had some confusion as there is an extra set of bolts (thank you Easter Bunny!) The abba company did a nice job overall with the instructions and straightforwardness of the assembly.

I was initially going to order the set of bike connectors. Due to import restrictions based on a specific dollar level for each order, abba suggests placing multiple orders. Thus I ordered just the stand, and they provided a set of adapters for one bike so the busa is covered. I will need another set for the VFR later on and can get just those adapters or I may get the entire set to future-proof the kit.

I have a lot of studying to do before I hoist this thing for the first time.

It is getting cold and depressing, and hinting at the end of riding for the year. I hope for some rides before that happens, and delaying the start of work for more rides would be just fine. That the socket for the rear wheel is one of the back-ordered items fits the current schedule. :D

View attachment 1671467
Hi. I wish I could use one on my bike.

I have a medium range torque wrench and I bought this for the low range. I got it from the Powerbuilt web site. When given the chance I like to buy direct rather than from Big Box & the Amazons, as I tend to think they will maintain stock better, pay the appropriate attention to their products, etc. Have I told you how dumb I am lately? The wrench seems frozen. It acts like a solid driver and will not click. I see no dated certificate with it. Their response was brief, "If it will not adjust send it back." That is not even what I claimed... I told them to issue a refund as I do not trust them after this baloney. I still need one. Gearwrench has a 1/4" drive 30-200 on Amazon. Does 16 ft-lbs max sound good? I have not used my 3/8" at its low end so I do not know where it will work well.

Am I recalling correctly: Have I not seen some specs below the common 30 inch-lbs rating, like 1-2 lbs? I guess those will just be a "snug"?

Powerbuilt 1-4 inch Torque Driver.png

Last edited:
I have a 1/4" drive Tekton inch pound tourqe wrench, which is I think 10-120" lb range, but I'll double check tonight.
I have their 1/2" drive 100-250 foot pound torque wrench too, both have been great, and they calibrate in spec.
I have a Snap-on 3/8" drive 15-100 foot pound as well, so I have everything covered.
I just used my Tekton inch pound torque wrench yet again the night before last too, new sparkplugs in my Gsxr1000,
97 inch pounds.

And as far as below 30 inch pounds just being snug, yes...and that's probably ok with alot of other small external fasteners as well.
You'll learn a 'feel' for things.
I use a torque wrench on most fasteners, and as far as inch pound specs go, I always use it on sparkplugs, as I want all 4 equally and correctly tight.
And on any internal engine fasteners, but, not everything.
As yes, there's Nothing wrong with using a torque wrench on everything, but...some small fasteners like bar clamps, bracket mounts, and fairing bolts, in many cases benefit from being a little tighter.
I have found many over the years that torque to spec, but still are not tight enough.
It just comes down to feel and experience sometimes.
I only say that to avoid overthinking, but as said, I use a torque wrench over the majority of the bike, and would never discourage anyone from using one at any time.
Better safe than sorry always holds true.
Use thread locker when you need it, otherwise, anti-sieze not only prevents siezing and galling, and makes it easy when you need to remove things, but it also acts like a mild thread locker.
I cannot ever remember having a bolt vibrate loose that I had previously put anti-sieze on.
Not to say it can't, but it helps in more ways than one.

You'll learn a 'feel' for things.

I have a feel for the car lug nut range. I can see building a feel for the light stuff, but only after a lot of hands on.

I have a Snap-on 3/8" drive 15-100 foot pound as well, so I have everything covered.

The Snap-On torque wrenches are insanely expensive. That was their one item that just makes no sense for me to buy. I have the Chicom 3/8" drive that Tire Rack sells. Well, it has been consistent at 80 ft-lbs. I guess I will find out about the rest.

Use thread locker when you need it, otherwise, anti-sieze not only prevents siezing and galling, and makes it easy when you need to remove things, but it also acts like a mild thread locker.

Real interesting: Fill the thread, even with something slick, and it helps adhere. Huh!

Anti-seize gets gummy or tacky as it sets up, so that helps some with vibration.
When using it, I put a small blob on the threads, then grab the threads with a rag, spinning the threads between my fingers.
I'll do it a 2nd time on a clean part of the rag if need be.
I do this so that there is only a small amount of anti-sieze spread evenly throughout the threads, without making a mess.
As for the Snap-on stuff...just buy it used, it's about half price on ebay.
I bought this Snap-On torque wrench about 7 years ago for $90.
It is very rare, and I looked a long time for one, as most don't go below 20' lbs...but this one goes down to 15' lbs.
A friend took it to the Snap-On man, and he sent it for calibration, Snap-On certified it, and $30 and week later, good to go.
The cheapest new one that I could find was a 20 to 100' lb, and was around $300...I have $120 in mine.
You can also mail them to Snap-On, and there are other companies that calibrate them as well.

As for the Snap-on stuff...just buy it used, it's about half price on ebay.

This is where I sit on this today: Without recommendations for commercial suppliers, I am extremely reluctant to purchase used items online. For one, so many have not come through with promises, the world is so unreliable and I have zero tolerance for such. Then there is the raging organized theft today and I do not want to be the recipient of any of that. It is real difficult for me to purchase used. My limit today is purchasing face to face, locally, where I can concretely gauge everything.

Deep, shallow, 6 and 12 pt. Also some swivel sets

Thank you but just know that for the majority of the standard tool kit, the decisions and compromises are already made. Now is the race to receive back-ordered items, perhaps going into November. I can only hope that plenty of good riding weather fills the long gap. Ideally I would begin work when the weather becomes unbearable, and hope the tools align with that. Wishes and hopes...

Regarding sockets and such, I ended up with shallow and semi-deep sockets in 6 point, combination wrenches, solid extensions in 1/4, wobble extensions in 3/8, various swivels, u-joints, converters, 1/4 & 3/8 T-Handles, and a 1/2" breaker bar.

For large/axle sockets I do get deep versions. I have not gotten one for the front but am unclear if it is required or if driving the hex socket is enough?

A potential tire changer is a remaining item. I was thinking to mount a No-Mar on plywood and add casters, perhaps ones that can lift up and drop the unit to the floor, or short roller bearing ones. This is a project in itself and I do not have the room to leave it out assembled, so I have to figure out this schedule. Wait until spring and make this the last item?

The busa has OEM tires. They are fine but this is a 2017 bike so I am going to change them due to their age. I should not say they are fine, I hate them, but I hated them before they got "old" too.

For the front axle you can turn the special hex tool with a wrench or socket.
For the tire machine...get the Rabaconda Street Tire Machine.
Yes, it's $600...but let me put it into perspective.
I have their dirt tire changer, and yes you can change sportbike tires on it, as I have done many with it...but it's about the same as any manual tire machine...effort is involved.
For the record, and I say this humbley, at 46 years old, I am still in great shape.
Even though my sixpack screen name is for a 6pack of beer, lol, I still have one too.
I workout several times a week with weights, cables, and various routines, including my 100lb bag.
I'm doing good for an old guy, lol, but...with all that said...the last several tires I have done have really kicked my azz!
Some tires almost jump on the wheel by themselves, while others, they will fight you to no end, it's just how they are.
Now, my knees, back, and joints are tired of aching from fighting tires...and no amount of physical conditioning is going to change that.
I got a friend of mine to help me mount the 2 I just put on my '03 Gsxr1k.
So, Soon I will get the Street Rabaconda.
Yes, still a manual machine, but it takes the physical effort and stress out of getting the tire bead off/on the wheel, by using the long ratcheting arm to do the work for you.
I ramble all of that to make the point of; yes, it's $600, but the dealer is what, 6 to 8 tires mounted and balanced for that much now?
So, if you plan to continue to ride and to do your own work, as you are, given what you've spent lately too, I would highly recommend Not buying a typical manual changer, living to regret spending that much, then wanting something else.
I bought the Dirt Rabaconda a couple years before the Street was released, otherwise I would already have one.
Just some serious thought for where money is personally better spent on certain tools.
My age and old injuries no longer want to deal with certain things if and whenever possible...and aching from a stubborn tire is high on that list.

Last edited:
For the tire machine...get the Rabaconda Street Tire Machine.
Yes, it's $600...but let me put it into perspective.

Thanks for that. I was thinking the same. I require assistance, and I am not going to muscle tires on, no way Jose.

I have actually been considering a No-Mar package which would be a lot more. The incentive was that the Rabaconda is tenable at best for specialty rims. The thought of CF crossed my mind. I hate compromises and to find out later that I have to change a CF rim, or a larger rim for myself or someone else, and the one changer I bought will not work. I have no idea what this future will bring me. I will probably change my mind a couple dozen times on this.

Thanks for that. I was thinking the same. I require assistance, and I am not going to muscle tires on, no way Jose.

I have actually been considering a No-Mar package which would be a lot more. The incentive was that the Rabaconda is tenable at best for specialty rims. The thought of CF crossed my mind. I hate compromises and to find out later that I have to change a CF rim, or a larger rim for myself or someone else, and the one changer I bought will not work. I have no idea what this future will bring me. I will probably change my mind a couple dozen times on this.
Tires are one of the things I pay someone else to do.

Back