To All My Military Brethren, Present and Past

SSGT_B

Registered
I salute and that you for your service. I wish to leave you with these few poetic lines that reflect some if not all of us.

Soldier

Soldier

I was that which others did not want to be.

I went where others feared to go,
and did what others failed to do.

I asked nothing from those who gave nothing and reluctantly accepted
the thought of eternal loneliness ... should I fail.

I have seen the face of terror; felt the stinging cold of fear; enjoyed
the sweet taste of a moment's love.

I have cried, pained and hoped ... but, most of all,
I have lived the times others would say were best forgotten.

At least someday, I will be able to say that I am proud of what I was ...

a soldier.

Author: George L. Sypeck

Fiddlers Green----- From my Cavalry days

Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers' Green.
Marching past, straight through to Hell
The Infantry are seen.
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marines,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.
Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene.
No trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he's emptied his canteen.
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers' Green.
And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen,
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean,
And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers' Green.

and lastly,

Ranger Creed

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite Soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other Soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained Soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.

Rangers lead the way!

We have all been somewhere doing something that will only haunt our memories and shadow our solitude. Stay in the glory of who we are and why we fight, never stop fighting..........

Back