Tigcraft Exhaust - secret is out

(JINKSTER @ Apr. 08 2007,07:53)
(bigoltool @ Apr. 07 2007,20:18) A lot of GP bikes have pipes made this way, and they seem to suffer no ill effects from it. Two stroke expansion chambers have been made this way for decades. Not exactly sure of the ultimate reason for the extravagant fabrication but if I were to guess I would say it is due to the ultra thin wall tubing being used not lending itself to mass production processes such as Hydro-forming. The tooling to make these systems would no doubt very cost prohibitive and due to the number of changes a GP bike goes through in short order it would not be feasible. But ultimately it just looks cool as hell and I like it! Bring on the TIG!
bigoltool...motogp pipes are what they are...a race crews attempt at creating a minimalistic ultra-lightweight exhaust system with an emphasis on reducing the size and weight of the least important components of an exhaust system...the mid-pipe and what used to be "Cannister" type silencers...with the more focused and serious efforts aimed at headpipe and collector design..and to achieve this?...race crews...lacking time, the proper equipment and zero reason/purpose to aim their on-the-fly R&D efforts with any sort goal of mass production for sale to the public is NOT their goal...their mission at hand is to design and fab the most eficient headpipe/collector system possible and then cobble the rest of this minimalistic shid togther "Trackside"....advancement is race technology to make a fast bike lighter and faster?..you betcha...but the most efficient way to manufacture a particular exhaust system design to the masses?...nope...no way...ain't even on their minds.

But leave it to the aftermarket to take this "Cobbled Together Trackside Look" and charge a real high premium to maket it to John Q. wannabe Motogp poser...for what?...that "Poser Look"?
laugh.gif
MotoGP crews don't just focus on weight, they focus on engine power and useable power.

Weight isn't as big an issue in MotoGP as other racing leagues. With the materials they have at their disposal, they could make those bikes even lighter, but the rules state that the bikes HAVE to weigh a certain amount.

I think motoGP teams focus more on maximum engine power and useable engine power than they do on weight. There is no limit on HP. And the entire pipe does affect the engines maximum power and useable power.

These just cobbled together exhausts systems cost more than any mass produced system and I'm SURE they perform better also.

It looks sort of like the joints are sweated together like copper plumbing joints.
that's pretty good work.

so ... there's no way that the pipes could have been "smoothed" or coated on the interior to improve flow...as the pipe was being assembled?

I am not praising or dismissing the product..I just say let's wait and see.

remember jinks....you denounced the buell peg mod because your "professional experience" told you that since there was a tiny bit of tab to ground off...the pegs would never hold up.
so far I have yet to hear of a buell peg failing on a busa (and I have learned that other bikes use this mod too) under anyone's weight.
I am at 2 years and running with mine...and I am about 235~240 with frequent stand-ups.
I think you were just trying to justify spending 500.00 on the cyclecats.
wink.gif

....but then I'd rather spend just 25.00 to replace a pair of pegs if my bike happened to fall over cause my wife was hogging the driveway.
crazy.gif

but then again...the buell pegs flex just like oem, so that wouldn't happen as easily.

sometimes a person can "overthink" an issue.
forget the R&D...I was in a think tank....and grandiloquent acronyms.
take a minute and just look at something logically without caring whether or not you can disprove it's design.
pirate.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Apr. 08 2007,05:44)
(bigoltool @ Apr. 07 2007,20:18) A lot of GP bikes have pipes made this way, and they seem to suffer no ill effects from it. Two stroke expansion chambers have been made this way for decades. Not exactly sure of the ultimate reason for the extravagant fabrication but if I were to guess I would say it is due to the ultra thin wall tubing being used not lending itself to mass production processes such as Hydro-forming. The tooling to make these systems would no doubt very cost prohibitive and due to the number of changes a GP bike goes through in short order it would not be feasible. But ultimately it just looks cool as hell and I like it! Bring on the TIG!
bigoltool...motogp pipes are what they are...a race crews attempt at creating a minimalistic ultra-lightweight exhaust system with an emphasis on reducing the size and weight of the least important components of an exhaust system...the mid-pipe and what used to be "Cannister" type silencers...with the more focused and serious efforts aimed at headpipe and collector design..and to achieve this?...race crews...lacking time, the proper equipment and zero reason/purpose to aim their on-the-fly R&D efforts with any sort goal of mass production for sale to the public is NOT their goal...their mission at hand is to design and fab the most eficient headpipe/collector system possible and then cobble the rest of this minimalistic shid togther "Trackside"....advancement is race technology to make a fast bike lighter and faster?..you betcha...but the most efficient way to manufacture a particular exhaust system design to the masses?...nope...no way...ain't even on their minds.

But leave it to the aftermarket to take this "Cobbled Together Trackside Look" and charge a real high premium to maket it to John Q. wannabe Motogp poser...for what?...that "Poser Look"?
laugh.gif
MotoGP crews don't just focus on weight, they focus on engine power and useable power.

Weight isn't as big an issue in MotoGP as other racing leagues.  With the materials they have at their disposal, they could make those bikes even lighter, but the rules state that the bikes HAVE to weigh a certain amount.

I think motoGP teams focus more on maximum engine power and useable engine power than they do on weight.  There is no limit on HP.  And the entire pipe does affect the engines maximum power and useable power.

These just cobbled together exhausts systems cost more than any mass produced system and I'm SURE they perform better also.
"MotoGP crews don't just focus on weight, they focus on engine power and useable power.

Weight isn't as big an issue in MotoGP as other racing leagues. With the materials they have at their disposal, they could make those bikes even lighter, but the rules state that the bikes HAVE to weigh a certain amount."

I never said they "just focus on weight" charles and of course they focus on making power..but the aft mid-pipe and muffler sections play very little role in producing that power...and yes...motogp does HAVE to meet certain weight..but would you rather have that weight hanging off your heads as useless ambient mass?...or moved to more benficial areas?...like beefing up swingarms and suspension components..as evey ounce they save off the exhaust is weight they can use to beef-up the bikes structual and suspension benefits elsewheres...not to mention adding ground clearance from those bulbous cannisters of yesteryear.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

It looks like expensive flex pipe maybe? No way in hell I would ever buy anything that looked like that.
all_coholic.gif

(BusaCruise @ Apr. 08 2007,06:05) It looks sort of like the joints are sweated together like copper plumbing joints.
that's pretty good work.

so ... there's no way that the pipes could have been "smoothed" or coated on the interior to improve flow...as the pipe was being assembled?

I am not praising or dismissing the product..I just say let's wait and see.

remember jinks....you denounced the buell peg mod because your "professional experience" told you that since there was a tiny bit of tab to ground off...the pegs would never hold up.
so far I have yet to hear of a buell peg failing on a busa (and I have learned that other bikes use this mod too) under anyone's weight.
I am at 2 years and running with mine...and I am about 235~240 with frequent stand-ups.
I think you were just trying to justify spending 500.00 on the cyclecats.  
wink.gif

....but then I'd rather spend just 25.00 to replace a pair of pegs if my bike happened to fall over cause my wife was hogging the driveway.
crazy.gif

but then again...the buell pegs flex just like oem, so that wouldn't happen as easily.

sometimes a person can "overthink" an issue.  
forget the R&D...I was in a think tank....and grandiloquent acronyms.
take a minute and just look at something logically without caring whether or not you can disprove it's design.
pirate.gif
boy-o-boy...i didn't say the buell pegs "would never hold up"...what i said was i didn't trust them..and i still don't...to boot?..i'm very happy that to date?..no one has experienced a failure (we know of)...and i'm happy about that..cause it could be a catastrophis event to whoever it happens to first..should it happen..i never claimed in absolute terms that they would fail...just that i didn't fully trust tem.

and the cyclcats?...i had just finished up 9 months of chiropractic treatment from a drunk biotch nailing me in the azz...and couldn't ride for the first 6 months afterwards due to lower back pain/damage...i promised myself two things when i goit the $16K settlement...

1. The best bed money could buy (to replace our 17 year old waterbed frame and 3rd mattress) to aid in the continued healing of my back and...

2. To either make my busa more comfy via some added leg room or sell it and use the change for a new bike.

I chose to by and try the cyclecats which permitted me to keep my busa.

But thank you for your off topic efforts.

(Charlesbusa @ Apr. 08 2007,08:44)

laugh.gif

Weight isn't as big an issue in MotoGP as other racing leagues. With the materials they have at their disposal, they could make those bikes even lighter, but the rules state that the bikes HAVE to weigh a certain amount.

I think motoGP teams focus more on maximum engine power and useable engine power than they do on weight. There is no limit on HP. And the entire pipe does affect the engines maximum power and useable power.

I would imagine that the GP teams have access to the latest greatest Fluid dynamics/flow analysis software available. At this level they can ill afford to give up a single HP to a competitor if they have anything to say about it. I would love to see what is happening to the Cam profiles, Exhaust systems, port profiles, electronics etc. in the R&D facilities in Japan after Ducati came and spanked em all at the first race of the season! That was the most disparate imbalance of power I have ever seen in all the years of watching Races. If a mass produced (formed) pipe was flowing the way these things have to and as easily adaptable to the constantly changing needs, you could bet the Race teams would be using them.

The fact that these guys (Tigcraft) are selling these things because they "look like" Hand fabbed GP pipes is beside the point. Have you seen the myriad attempts that other pipe makers have made to make their pipes look like the real McCoy? Why would this be any different? It is simply one Manufacturer trying to highlight their exemplary fabrication skills and artistry by bringing a seemingly unique new product to bear on a market saturated with me too efforts. How can you poo poo that? I wish them well!
beerchug.gif

Looks cool!
super.gif

I did my exhaust system the same way in my truck when I put in the 3" pipe, there wasn't a bender large enough to handle pipe that big close to me.

(bigoltool @ Apr. 08 2007,06:32)

laugh.gif

Weight isn't as big an issue in MotoGP as other racing leagues.  With the materials they have at their disposal, they could make those bikes even lighter, but the rules state that the bikes HAVE to weigh a certain amount.

I think motoGP teams focus more on maximum engine power and useable engine power than they do on weight.  There is no limit on HP.  And the entire pipe does affect the engines maximum power and useable power.

I would imagine that the GP teams have access to the latest greatest Fluid dynamics/flow analysis software available. At this level they can ill afford to give up a single HP to a competitor if they have anything to say about it. I would love to see what is happening to the Cam profiles, Exhaust systems, port profiles, electronics etc. in the  R&D facilities in Japan after Ducati came and spanked em all at the first race of the season! That was the most disparate imbalance of power I have ever seen in all the years of watching Races. If a mass produced (formed) pipe was flowing the way these things have to and as easily adaptable to the constantly changing needs, you could bet the Race teams would be using them.

The fact that these guys (Tigcraft)  are selling these things because they "look like" Hand fabbed GP pipes is beside the point. Have you seen the myriad attempts that other pipe makers have made to make their pipes look like the real McCoy? Why would this be any different? It is simply one Manufacturer trying to highlight their exemplary fabrication skills and artistry by bringing a seemingly unique new product to bear on a market saturated with me too efforts. How can you poo poo that? I wish them well!  
beerchug.gif
i dunno man...i guess i could be a bit bias as i come from a manufacturing world where we strive to manufacture products with "THE LEAST AMOUNT OF WELD POSSIBLE"...as the weld joints themselves are typically plenty strong but there a zone of parent material...just outside and adjacent to both sides of any weld where the parent material is degraded and weakened by the residual heat of the weld joint itself...where the action of melting the alloy mutates the parent materials granular structure in that area...which is why stress relief heat treat processes that take place in expensive vacuum furnaces in an oxygen free environment is so important to regaining 'some" of that welded parent materials original strength and characteristics back...hence?...throughtout my life i've witnessed the manufacturing industry go to great lengths to minimze welding operations...which in one case a few years back?..."MACHINED FROM SOLID BILLET" was all the buzz...as there was no forming or welding at all in such billet components...the reason?...lighter weight with more strength...because the parent material was never weaken by forming or welding.

So i guess this whole "Gazzilion Weld Joint" motogp look alike pipes just go against my grain so to speak..especially when the same could be achieved with processes that are more in line with standard shop practice and common manufacturing sense...to me?...it's a "Look What I Can Do!" kinda thing..without giving much thought as to if "THEY SHOULD" do it before hand.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(JINKSTER @ Apr. 08 2007,09:52)
(bigoltool @ Apr. 08 2007,06
zzwhip.gif
)

laugh.gif

I would imagine that the GP teams have access to the latest greatest Fluid dynamics/flow analysis software available. At this level they can ill afford to give up a single HP to a competitor if they have anything to say about it. I would love to see what is happening to the Cam profiles, Exhaust systems, port profiles, electronics etc. in the R&D facilities in Japan after Ducati came and spanked em all at the first race of the season! That was the most disparate imbalance of power I have ever seen in all the years of watching Races. If a mass produced (formed) pipe was flowing the way these things have to and as easily adaptable to the constantly changing needs, you could bet the Race teams would be using them.

The fact that these guys (Tigcraft) are selling these things because they "look like" Hand fabbed GP pipes is beside the point. Have you seen the myriad attempts that other pipe makers have made to make their pipes look like the real McCoy? Why would this be any different? It is simply one Manufacturer trying to highlight their exemplary fabrication skills and artistry by bringing a seemingly unique new product to bear on a market saturated with me too efforts. How can you poo poo that? I wish them well!
beerchug.gif
i dunno man...i guess i could be a bit bias as i come from a manufacturing world where we strive to manufacture products with "THE LEAST AMOUNT OF WELD POSSIBLE"...as the weld joints themselves are typically plenty strong but there a zone of parent material...just outside and adjacent to both sides of any weld where the parent material is degraded and weakened by the residual heat of the weld joint itself...where the action of melting the alloy mutates the parent materials granular structure in that area...which is why stress relief heat treat processes that take place in expensive vacuum furnaces in an oxygen free environment is so important to regaining 'some" of that welded parent materials original strength and characteristics back...hence?...throughtout my life i've witnessed the manufacturing industry go to great lengths to minimze welding operations...which in one case a few years back?..."MACHINED FROM SOLID BILLET" was all the buzz...as there was no forming or welding at all in such billet components...the reason?...lighter weight with more strength...because the parent material was never weaken by forming or welding.

So i guess this whole "Gazzilion Weld Joint" motogp look alike pipes just go against my grain so to speak..especially when the same could be achieved with processes that are more in line with standard shop practice and common manufacturing sense...to me?...it's a "Look What I Can Do!" kinda thing..without giving much thought as to if "THEY SHOULD" do it before hand.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
You just defined the whole "chopper" industry. Why make molded carbon fiber (or?) when you can just hammer and weld it? Hate em myself but to some people it is art!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(bigoltool @ Apr. 08 2007,07:14)
(JINKSTER @ Apr. 08 2007,09:52)
(bigoltool @ Apr. 08 2007,06
zzwhip.gif
)

laugh.gif

I would imagine that the GP teams have access to the latest greatest Fluid dynamics/flow analysis software available. At this level they can ill afford to give up a single HP to a competitor if they have anything to say about it. I would love to see what is happening to the Cam profiles, Exhaust systems, port profiles, electronics etc. in the  R&D facilities in Japan after Ducati came and spanked em all at the first race of the season! That was the most disparate imbalance of power I have ever seen in all the years of watching Races. If a mass produced (formed) pipe was flowing the way these things have to and as easily adaptable to the constantly changing needs, you could bet the Race teams would be using them.

The fact that these guys (Tigcraft)  are selling these things because they "look like" Hand fabbed GP pipes is beside the point. Have you seen the myriad attempts that other pipe makers have made to make their pipes look like the real McCoy? Why would this be any different? It is simply one Manufacturer trying to highlight their exemplary fabrication skills and artistry by bringing a seemingly unique new product to bear on a market saturated with me too efforts. How can you poo poo that? I wish them well!  
beerchug.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
You just defined the whole "chopper" industry. Why make molded carbon fiber (or?) when you can just hammer and weld it? Hate em myself but to some people it is art!  
laugh.gif
True..hence the name "CHOP"pers....and there's only so much manufacturing equipment a race tean can fit in a tractor trailor or two..the fabricators work with what they have available...and always in a hurry...and it don't hafta look pretty...it just hasta be on time, work and win races.

and that's why i loathe that the aftermarket would prey upon the masses by debuting and hyping what is "an apperearance".. a "look"...a look not derived from true manufacturing quality and top choice processing and materials but of trackside fabbing necessity.

To me?..it equates to someone looking at the winner of a demolition derby and saying...

"Man! That's SChweeeet!...MAKE ME ONE JUST LIKE THAT!"
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

If I want exhaust that looks and performs like that, I'll take a $20 bill to Auto Zone and buy that flex pipe. Jinkster is spot on. There's more turbulence in that pipe than a cat 5 hurricane going thru New Orleans!

(jjmetheny @ Apr. 08 2007,12:11) I think you need to get your eyes checked,
this doesn't look anything like this
You are correct sir, I prefer the one with the peanuts!

jump9.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
(StreetnTrack @ Apr. 07 2007,20:39) hopefully we will get the first set. will let you know prices as soon as we get them.
Looking forward to both hearing and seeing more, thanks!!

First of all, while they look like flexible tubing, they most certainly are not. What you are seeing, as stated above are a bunch of little differently shaped pieces welded together to make bends, instead of just bending the tubing itself.

I think it looks really cool, but I can't imagine how much they will charge for a set. Consider the time it takes to do ONE weld around the pipe on that piece, you could mandrel bend an entire exhaust system. It's all about process, and I bet when you see the prices on those works of art, you'll much rather have the 'mass produced' items.

Back