My butcher
My hair cutter
My postman
My grocery people
My local police officer
My mechanic
My plumber
My kids teachers

there are many others but I think the idea is that society has grown and become so migrant that you have no idea who any one of these will be from week to week..

I sort of miss the city of Mesa AZ at times.. but then again, they are subject to this new "motile" America as much as any town or city..

I know more people now that I have never met fact to face (The Net) than that I have around me on a daily basis...

ya just gotta love progress huh? :rofl:

Last edited:
Agree, our society,(for better, but often worse), had made it so you don't need to know any of that, each man can be his own island.

The insideous side is, you don't need that stuff, big brother is taking care of you. Your just another brick in the wall.

I think it may be that way again, but not in my lifetime.

Yep, progress, I guess you could call it that. I know my neighbors by name but I live in the country and don't have many. I also know my mechanic's name, It's Greg:laugh:

Sometimes you have to make the effort, I think more and more people are pretty much sticking to themselves, don't care to know people cause there is so much crap going around these days, people feel safer not knowing people around them. My 2 cents worth if it makes any sense.

Sometimes you have to make the effort, I think more and more people are pretty much sticking to themselves, don't care to know people cause there is so much crap going around these days, people feel safer not knowing people around them. My 2 cents worth if it makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense to me, society just makes it easier to do exactly that.

also ppl today dont grow up and live in the same house let alone the same neighborhood.I personally have moved 7x as an adult buying houses thinking this is the last one...no,never works out that way,grew up a kid in the same house for 18yrs.Im 38 now,you do the math. just not worth getting to know anybody these days

also ppl today dont grow up and live in the same house let alone the same neighborhood.I personally have moved 7x as an adult buying houses thinking this is the last one...no,never works out that way,grew up a kid in the same house for 18yrs.Im 38 now,you do the math. just not worth getting to know anybody these days

I Dunno, Sure seems like there is alot of 30+ year olds still living im Mom's basement these days:whistle::laugh:

Can we blame capitalism for the loss of what Bogus discusses?

The myth of the "good old days" and small town simplicity are a thing of the past. When people talk of those times they also refer to the days before the civil rights movement and before women gained a semblance of equality in the work place. Those two points alone lead me to believe that maybe those weren't such "good times" after all. We yearn for simpler times because they always seems to be better than what we have now. How often does a happy childhood memory become a harsh reality of disappointment when we revisit it as an adult?

Those same "good people grown in small towns" are the ones fighting in Iraq, or working two part time jobs, having to decide between health insurance, diapers or groceries. It's not that they don't want to attend an Ivy League school, its because college tuition is out of control and unaffordable or maybe they have to take care of an ailing parent are are pressed to make difficult decisions and put their dreams on hold. I can't begin to speak for those in that situation.

Farmers don't grow food anymore, the unregulated corporations do. They grow green beans for Birdseye and wheat for KRAFT. The corner pharmacy doesn't fill your prescription with a smile and knowledge of your entire family's medical history anymore, a corporate giant like Wal Mart or CVS does. Family doctors that make house calls are non existent and our teachers are expected to teach math and as well as manners. That's a far cry from the good old days. Modern corporate America has taken over the small towns and rolled them over into a dusty memory.

I Dunno, Sure seems like there is alot of 30+ year olds still living im Mom's basement these days:whistle::laugh:

I envy you

If I didnt become a parent at 19 im sure my life would have been alot different and the 3 baby mama's probably wasnt the greatest idea either:laugh:

I envy you

If I didnt become a parent at 19 im sure my life would have been alot different and the 3 baby mama's probably wasnt the greatest idea either:laugh:

NOT ME!, (I'm not still at Mom's house), I was out of the house at 18, and have stayed out, now 45..........just for clarification to ALL:laugh:

Last edited:
Back