?? THE YEAR 1906??

monster

Wherever I May Roam
Donating Member
Registered
?? THE YEAR 1906??

This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine!
The year is 1906.
One hundred years ago.
What a difference a century makes!
Here are some statistics for the Year 1906 :

The average life expectancy was 47 y ears.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles

Of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!

The average wage was 22 cents per hour.

The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year .

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME .

Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from

Entering into their country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea

hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health." ( Shocking? DUH! )

Eighteen percent of households had at least

one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders

in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

Wow...and to think some live to see that span of time and all of those changes during a lifetime...my great grandmother passed away at the age of 104; I often wonder what it was like to see so much in her life
smile.gif

WoW ! People actually Died from Diarrhea back then ?

I know , I know , of all those stats , I say something about that one .....
laugh.gif

The Chicago Cubs were only two years away from their most recent championship...

jump9.gif

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'></span>(from a loyal St Louis Cardinal fan)<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'></span>

Only one error, there was ice tea in 1906. Infact I have a menu from a Civil War Reunion in Chicago in 1878 that had ice tea, coffee, ice flavored drinks, oysters, shrimp, venison, turkey, Bison Steaks, Cakes, Sweet Breads and Breads along with icey's (not sure what an icey was, but I doubt it's what we have now). Along with a Brandy and Cigar for the after Dinner Dicussion  
super.gif

Personally, it sounds like a Party and Dinner I would have LOVED  
SHOCKED.gif

(DaCol. @ Nov. 30 2006,17:52) Only one error, there was ice tea in 1906. Infact I have a menu from a Civil War Reunion in Chicago in 1878 that had ice tea, coffee, ice flavored drinks, oysters, shrimp, venison, turkey, Bison Steaks, Cakes,  Sweet Breads and Breads along with icey's (not sure what an icey was, but I doubt it's what we have now). Along with a Brandy and Cigar for the after Dinner Dicussion  
super.gif

Personally, it sounds like a Party and Dinner I would have LOVED  
SHOCKED.gif
you know what they mean by "sweet breads"? It isn't made with dough I can tell you that
barf.gif

I often think about that stuff. Few weeks back I was in an old restored farm house from the early 20's. No electricity or running water and a single wood burning stove heated the house. Large holes with metal grills were cut into each floor to allow the heat to rise to the second story. There were 4 bedrooms and each was about the size of my walk in closets. Worst part would be the outhouse, I can't imagine running out during an ice storm night like this.

My mind boggles just looking back at technology changes since the 80's or even within the last 5 to 10 years.
I'm looking at my trusty Kodak digital camera from about 7 years ago along with the Aiptek camera I just bought a few days ago laying next to it. The new one has 8 times the megapixels, records impressive videos at 30 FPS on a tiny SD card, plays MP3s and records TV shows so that I can play them back later while I'm out on the road. It's much smaller than the old Kodak camera and cost about 50 bucks less...hell it's about the same size as the BATTERY PACK on my Panasonic VHS C camcorder I paid a fortune for 10 years ago and the video record quality is just as good!

My current pocket PC is more powerful than my Desktop PC from 5 years ago.

Just bought a little hack cartridge for my Gamboy SP that uses a SD card. I have about 400 games on that SD card right now and it hasn't even made a dent in its 1 gig capacity. Imagine going back to the early 90's and how much space 400 NES game cartridges would have taken up not to mention the cost. Now you can have the entire library of every game ever made for the NES on a memory card the size of your thumbnail.

TVs? I bet I'm not the only one here that remembers what a privledge it was to have a single color TV in the house which broke down once a year. And when it was out of order the 17" B&W would be placed on top of it and used until enough money was in the budget to have the TV repair man come by and fix it. When that 25" console TV cost $600 bucks in 70's money it wasn't exactly "disposable".
Remember back in the 80's when stereo TV was the big upgrade?

Still have my old cell from laying around here somewhere from 1995. It's so big and heavy I could kill a person with it.

We're advancing so freakin' fast and everything is getting so cheap, the alien technology theory seems very plausible to me.

(thismonsterlives @ Nov. 30 2006,15:18) Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine!
The year is 2106.
One hundred years from now.
What a difference a century makes!
Here are some  statistics for the Year  2106 :

The average life expectancy  is 147 years.

France is the only country that STILL refuses to shower!

Only 8 percent of the homes don't have a holophone.

There are only 8,000 cars left and no paved roads.  (since the invention of the hovercycle)

The maximum speed limit in most cities is 1,000 mph.

The tallest structure in the world is the 3rd incarnation of the WTC towers!

The average wage is 22 cents per hour.  (take that inflation!)

The average worker makes between $200 and $400 per year .

A competent accountant can expect to earn $2000 per year, A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births take place on daytime HV talk shows .

Ninety percent of all  doctors have NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Instead, they attend so-called medical schools, many of which are condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard."

Sugar costs four cents a pound.

Eggs are fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee is fifteen cents a pound.

Soaps and shampoos have been replaced with sonic showers

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from

Entering into their country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death  are:

1. One's own stupidity
2. Act of God
3. Public flatulence
4. Jumping off a cliff like the other cool people
5. Stroke

The American flag has 450 stars.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada is only 30!!!!

There is no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults can't read or write.

Only 6 percent of all Americans have graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine are all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Then pharmacists say, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect  guardian of health." ( Shocking? DUH! )

Eighteen percent of households have at least

one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders

in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !

My Mother is 94, she talks about all that kind of stuff. She remembers things back in the 20's. I can barely remember what happened yesterday.
biggrin.gif
What are we talking about, oh ye, I almost forgot.

You forgot that in 2106 we will still be waiting on the new and updated Busa....The rumors will still fly about "this being the year Suzuki ups the platform since it was introduced in 1999"

(unkleslapnutz @ Dec. 01 2006,05:12) You forgot that in 2106 we will still be waiting on the new and updated Busa....The rumors will still fly about "this being the year Suzuki ups the platform since it was introduced in 1999"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(unkleslapnutz @ Dec. 01 2006,06:12) You forgot that in 2106 we will still be waiting on the new and updated Busa....The rumors will still fly about "this being the year Suzuki ups the platform since it was introduced in 1999"
There are only 8,000 cars left and no paved roads.  (since the invention of the hovercycle)[/Quote]

Subtlety not your strong point?

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

Back