The Psycho Busa

Frank Adams

Registered
Quick overview:

The Psycho Busa came home friday evening FINALLY!

Sometimes I could really kick Myself in the butt for getting into this R&D prodject.

I'm on My 4th engine since buying this bike and I hope it's My last! I'm going to dial this motor in Myself so I don't have any good dyno numbers yet. Before I left the shop I through a quick setting in the ecm and made just one 3rd gear only pull and a 190hp popped up on the graph.

Today I spent 7hrs on cosmetics and eventually took it for a small 10 mile ride before the rains came. And now the forecast is calling for rain the next 4 days.(damn!) But thats alright cause believe Me I have plenty to do with the Psycho Busa. A VERY big list!

I've decided not to turn loose on this motor untill at least 200 miles. That means I'm not going to run it past 7,000rpm. But after that My mechanic better hope he done his homework because I'm going to ripp on this Busa like a dirtbike.

IF...IF it makes to a 1,000 miles...I'll be ready to install the Nitrous.

I've kept My eye on a real good nitrous product thats yet to make it to the market and I hope I can get a chance to work with it in the days to come?!

Hopefully this time I'll be ready to share some info....but only time will tell...?

Heres a pic but it's not the good.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=113251&a=828657&p=22550754

Way to go Frank. After so much time, work and cash (not to mention all the frustration that goes along with a project like this) its always fun to finish and reap the rewards of the hard work. Hope it all works out.

frank , glad ya finally got it back !!!
i have been looking forward to riding up there and going out riding with ya for quite awhile but i probably wont have my busa much longer . of course the rains moved into my lil part of indiana within an hour of getting my bodywork back from getting painted so im down for a bit too .
not too sure how much im looking forward to riding it with those three foot wide dual mufflers back on it anyways .
well , im sure ill have another one sometime down the road so maybe then.....good luck with this one buddy !!!!!!!!
the new wife says your bike is unreal looking..i told her she should see it in person as i have....ride safe...lol

Frank I saw the pic and that bike is fine! Sheesh......! ;)
I have the same tank cover, that's about as far as our bikes similarities in mods go!

WOW, love it!

Theres a IDBA race at a local track next weekend and I hope to get things a little closer by then to make a few passes. Too bad it's just an 1/8th mile but I have some numbers in mind that I'd like to see if I do get to run.

I had Rob at tapeworks.com put together some graphics and some I haven't put on yet but Rob came through with just what I wanted and he was one of the very few that I had any problems getting what I asked for and in a decent amount of time also.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=113251&a=828657&p=22550751

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=113251&a=828657&p=22550751

It really makes Me feel good to hear you guys say the positive things that you have!

My pw2 took a sh!t earlier in the week and I had to end up putting a half asss Yosh setup on it untill I can get the pw2 replaced. It stumbles, hesitates on the low end and is running lean in the middle but it will do untill I get the other taken care of.
This motor has 13 to 1 compression with the 395 lift Web cam and I have just pump fuel in it for now but I'll be useing c-12 later on.
I rode it for about 10 miles in 90 plus degrees stopping at several stoplights and with the red-line water wetter it never even made to the half way part of the temp gage. That made Me feel real good! Expecially with it running on the lean side, the outside temp, and the compression.

CbxChris & Tom McQueen I'd like to hear where you guys are on your prodjects?!

I would have thought you guys would have your bikes together by now cause I don't think anybody had to wait as long as I did for parts?

Hey Frank,
Your bike looks sweet! I love how stretched out it is, sporting that "Don't mess with me" look.
Keep up the great work, your efforts and discussion is always amazing....

Martin

Frank,
Bottom end is all done. Had to have the valveguides pressed into the head a bit to make room for the extra lift. That was finished Friday. Now the head can be setup and cc'd. I am going to use 12:1 and avoid any problems with the starter drive as well as head gasket issues (Im still 4mm over). Besides, this is a street bike and I want premium pump gas to work. Have extra base shims to set the cylinder height for the stroker crank. Hope to make some dyno passes sometime next week. Im anxious to see how much power I can get with the stock pipe.

frank , whats going on at bunker hill ?
if mines still around i might head up there with a few fellow busa owners from the southside that i streetrace with alot .
id love to see your bike at the track !!!!
if its in the cards i wouldnt mind running mine to and i know my buddies wanna do the same !!!!!

I never knew what you were after, with your project, what your "vision" was. Now I see it, looking at the photos. It is kind of the "Aha" factor...so that's what you've been trying to do. Looks awesome.

Even clear out here in San Diego, Busa guys talk about you and your project, wondering if you'll ever get it all dialed in. Looks like persistence is gonna pay off. The local drag bike guys out here include Chris Dolan, Bernie Koenig, and Kevin Smith (Fastzx9) to name a few. Other guys from LABusas, like me, Buster123, and Ducmanic, head to the strip periodically and make some passes on our Busas...but we're not hard-core drag bike guys.

Psycho Busa is a winning show bike, for sure, as well as a purpose-built drag bike. But we still want to see some numbers. Best of luck...you've definitely earned the glory.

CbxChris, I can't wait for you get yours on the rode. I'm not real sure how close your setup is to mine but your going to be blown away if it runs anything like mine is now.
I have real hard time trying to keep calm with the throttle so I decided to ripp down on it a little. I only ran it through the fist two gears.(thats all I needed)
I have the axle set at about 7 1/2 inches on the swingarm and I worked on the rear spring tension a little today. I was rolling along about 3,000rpm's and I opened it up...hit 2nd gear and it pulled the front wheel about two foot off the ground all the way to about 9,500 rpm. I rolled off the throttle cause I want to keep it out of the rev-limiter for awhile.
But that was good enough to get My fixx for the day.
I bet it's really going to be a hand full once I get it dialed in with the pw2?!

Tom M, How much stroke did you go with again, I forget?
I hope you don't have any trouble getting it to line up in the frame?!!
I've heard there has been some run ins of this already with the Busa strokers.

Crazy Bill, This race deal is an all weekend thing in Kokomo. They shut down some of the streets on sat and do all kinds of crazy stuff.
They call it rode nights and people come from all over the midwest.
It a real good time!
All of this and IDBA puts on a race at Bunker Hill.

Just a small 3mm increase Frank. That only adds .060" to the height of the head. Might have to do a little work to get it into the frame, but it wont be much.

Frank should have mine finally done in a week or so. Head took forever and chrome platers lost my friggin wheels...I am ready to get it back together. I`ve been lucky though and have been riding my black one. I have learned from the past...figure about 5-6 months on a major project...it just always works out that way.

Back