The 2008 Fantasy MotoGP Thread

This year is crazy!!

They've set records for both the fastest Race lap and the fastest lap ever by a motorcycle at both of the races.

These bikes are just getting faster and faster!

i thought you had to rest 1 rider from each group each week.

ex. 1 rider from group a
1 rider from group b
1 rider from group c
each week

is this not the case?
so each rider just has to rest a total of 2 races for the first 6?
i had rossi for the first 2 and i thought i had to sit him in the 3rd race but if i have this right i could use him for the first 4 and rest the last 2 or any combo as long as he rests 2?

are they still running down the straights as fast as they were? cappirossi did what, 215-216 mph on the duc?

Doesn't matter what group they're in.  Your team has to rest 3 riders each race.  And each rider must rest 2 races. For the 2008 Year long Fantasy, each rider must rest twice each peroid(6 races)
biggrin.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
if i have this right i could use him for the first 4 and rest the last 2 or any combo as long as he rests 2?[/quote]
Correct, you can do that or any other combination as long as 3 riders from your team are resting and each rider rests twice.  
winkold.gif

are they still running down the straights as fast as they were? cappirossi did what, 215-216 mph on the duc?
In 2006 at Jerez, Makoto Tamada on a 998 Honda posted the fastest top speed of 286.5.

Last Sunday at Jerez, Vale Rossi on a 800 Yamaha posted the fastest top speed of 280.7.

Its the corner speeds that are destroying the old lap records.

the 286 is kph? how does that translate to mph? i have no idea being as the u.s is the only country that doesnt use the metric system.

i know they went to the 800 to try and slow them down but with the t.c. they are destroying lap records so far this year. i think the eletronics are playing a bigger roll than the power of the bikes. it seems to me corner speed would be more dangerous than straightaway top speed? what else have they changed? weight of bikes? hp? i know they have new technology coming out all the time but moto has to have a couple of guidlines as far a weight, wheelbase etc.?

the 286 is kph? how does that translate to mph? i have no idea being as the u.s is the only country that doesnt use the metric system.

i know they went to the 800 to try and slow them down but with the t.c. they are destroying lap records so far this year. i think the eletronics are playing a bigger roll than the power of the bikes. it seems to me corner speed would be more dangerous than straightaway top speed? what else have they changed? weight of bikes? hp? i know they have new technology coming out all the time but moto has to have a couple of guidlines as far a weight, wheelbase etc.?
286kph is 178mph. And keep in mind Jerez has a short straight as MotoGP standards go.

The "reason", to slow the bikes down, to reduce engine size was pushed through by Honda. Even from the beginning everyone knew that with the combination of higher corner speeds and higher revs(these bikes rev over 19,000 and that's real rpm) that the bikes would turn faster lap times. They had all the electronics on the 998s, but the 998s put out over 250hp. The 800s are putting out over 220hp. I don't think the weights have changed but they did reduce the amount of gas the tanks can hold. So not only do they have to make 220+hp, be useable hp, they also have to get great gas mileage!

Another significant issue in 2007 was the reduction in permissible fuel from 22 litres to 21 litres, causing engineers to introduce ECU control over maximum revolutions, where internal friction losses are highest, and leaning out the fuel-air mixture in sections of the track where maximum power is less necessary. Observers noted that the 800 cc machines were not using proportionately less fuel than the 990s because with their lower power output the smaller machines were using full throttle more of the time for a given circuit.

New tire regulations introduced in 2007 limited the number of tires any rider could use over the practice and qualifying period, and the race itself, to a maximum of 31 tires (14 fronts and 17 rears) per rider . This introduced a problem of tyre choice vs. weather (among other factors) that challenges riders and teams to optimize their performance on race day. This factor was greeted with varying degrees of enthusiasm by participants.

'No fuel on the motorcycle may be more than fifteen °C (15 °C) below ambient temperature. The use of any device on the motorcycle to artificially decrease the temperature of the fuel below ambient temperature is forbidden. No motorcycle may include such a device.' This stops an artificial "boost" gained from increasing fuel density by cooling it.

MotoGP-class motorcycles are not restricted to any specific engine configuration. However the number of cylinders employed in the engine determines the motorcycle's permitted minimum weight; more cylinders attracting more weight as a form of handicap. This is necessary because, for a given capacity, an engine with more cylinders is capable of producing more power. If comparable bore to stroke ratios are employed an engine with more cylinders will have a greater piston area and a shorter stroke. The increased piston area permits an increase in the total valve area, allowing more air and fuel to be drawn into the engine, and the shorter stroke permits higher revs at the same piston speed, allowing the engine to pump still more air and fuel with the potential to produce more power but with more fuel consumption too.

From 2007 onwards and for a minimum period of five years, FIM has regulated in MotoGP class that two-stroke bikes will no longer be allowed, and engines will be limited to 800 cc four-strokes.

qp.jpg

Since they all use 4 cylinders, 148kg is 325.6lbs.

I've read that Yamaha keeps at least 1/2pound over the limit because they have to compensate for tire wear and oil burn which reduce the bike's weight during the race. That way they still meet the minimum weight requirement after the race.

1 mph=0.62 kph

1 kg=2.2 lbs

1 mph=0.62 kph

1 kg=2.2 lbs
Check those figures re MPH/KPH

1 Mile = 1.6 Kilometers

100 mph = 160 kph

186 mph (busa limiter) = 300 kph

Pete

Back