Tethering with smartphones

mr8ball

Registered
What phones do you guys and gals use to tether? What provider are you with? When you tethered could you watch things on you tube and so on? I have a MacBook if it matters. I was talking with Verizon yesterday and they were checking my speed with my Black Berry 9530 and I was told that all I have is the same as dial up. I have been with Verizon for about 20 years now and when I got my phone I was promised that I could do this (Watch Vids while tethering). It takes forever for me to watch a 2 min vid and it sucks. I told them that I was holding up my end of the contract of paying 160 bucks a month and I was not getting what I was promised. They pretty much said to bad and that they would give me a break on an Android 2 if I wanted it. I have only had my phone for 7 months and have complained the whole time about it with no results. I told them that I was going to buy out of my contract as soon as I found something that would work for me and that they could stick it. So now I am looking for a good phone and a good company. Any ideas?

I am with Verizon and I have a Black Berry 9530 touch phone. It was the newest one when I bought it. Thanks in advance, Doug

What phones do you guys and gals use to tether? What provider are you with? When you tethered could you watch things on you tube and so on? I have a MacBook if it matters. I was talking with Verizon yesterday and they were checking my speed with my Black Berry 9530 and I was told that all I have is the same as dial up. I have been with Verizon for about 20 years now and when I got my phone I was promised that I could do this (Watch Vids while tethering). It takes forever for me to watch a 2 min vid and it sucks. I told them that I was holding up my end of the contract of paying 160 bucks a month and I was not getting what I was promised. They pretty much said to bad and that they would give me a break on an Android 2 if I wanted it. I have only had my phone for 7 months and have complained the whole time about it with no results. I told them that I was going to buy out of my contract as soon as I found something that would work for me and that they could stick it. So now I am looking for a good phone and a good company. Any ideas?

I am with Verizon and I have a Black Berry 9530 touch phone. It was the newest one when I bought it. Thanks in advance, Doug

You can tether with you BB but you will have to pay $30 extra for the feature, I am using a Android where you can tether for free, just download the app.

I do it with my BB but it is slow and i cant watch vids. What android do u have and what carrier are u with? Thanks

I have the incredible and evo, verizon and sprint! I use to have a storm 2 and havent looked back since.

My friend has a droid through Verizon, and it's awesome, I just don't wanna pay the extra for one now. I understand you're upset, but the old saying "Better the devil you do know than the one you don't" is sometimes true. I'm near you, and have been frustrated with Verizon before too. But their coverage area is very good around here. Sprint is the only thing comparable, as I have had them too.
This isn't just my own opinion either. I know many people that work around this area, like the railroad, power companies, and delivery drivers. Verizon seems to work in more out of the way places.
If you do switch, at least see if you can try service where you use it most before you sign another contract. Just my 2 cents, hope it works out for ya.

Yeah Droid here, I use a wireless tether app and tether for free.

If I get the droid how do I tether for free? I have to pay 30 bucks a month now for 5 g of use. My bill is 162.00 a month and I am tired of paying it. I don't have a phone line in my apartment and really don't want to do that either. My speed on my macbook is so slow I cant watch some of the vid things that people post on here and I really miss that. I do like the coverage that Verizon has in my area but I done like the way I am being treated over this. How much can you use your computer while tethering? It will cost me 270.00 to buy out of my contract but if I can get a better deal it will be worth it for me. Thanks again for the help

My friend has a droid through Verizon, and it's awesome, I just don't wanna pay the extra for one now. I understand you're upset, but the old saying "Better the devil you do know than the one you don't" is sometimes true. I'm near you, and have been frustrated with Verizon before too. But their coverage area is very good around here. Sprint is the only thing comparable, as I have had them too.
This isn't just my own opinion either. I know many people that work around this area, like the railroad, power companies, and delivery drivers. Verizon seems to work in more out of the way places.
If you do switch, at least see if you can try service where you use it most before you sign another contract. Just my 2 cents, hope it works out for ya.

Hey sixpack where do you live? Maybe we can get togather sometime and ride. Thanks for the info. I have a buddy that is a member here also and we ride some. I would like to get with some of the guys that are close to me and ride. Looking forward to it

Hey sixpack where do you live? Maybe we can get togather sometime and ride. Thanks for the info. I have a buddy that is a member here also and we ride some. I would like to get with some of the guys that are close to me and ride. Looking forward to it

I'll pm you next time we know a few of us are going. We've been doing some Friday mornings through the Parkway. Other than that, we're usually out in the country riding wheelies and stunts at a dead end.

I'll pm you next time we know a few of us are going. We've been doing some Friday mornings through the Parkway. Other than that, we're usually out in the country riding wheelies and stunts at a dead end.

Sounds good, I can,t do the wheelie thing because of my back plus i dont know how. (LOL) My friend is real good at it. I love the parkway. I live off Lakeside Dr up from Lynchburg Collage and am only about 20 minutes from the PW. Just let me know. Have a good one

I use my iphone was a one time 20 dollar fee called mywi works good but no videos with out loading...

Once you have your phone rooted I can send you the file. :whistle:

Thats good to know. Will it work with a Macbook? I have been told it is hard to get things to work on them. I am going to try and make sure what ever I get will let me watch vids on my mac if not it's no good to me. I hate a slow computer when I am on line. I really would like to thank all of you for the help.

go download june fabrics PDANet application. Works great to teather a blackberry (or others) for free :cheerleader: (of course you could pay the one time $30 fee too :whistle:)

I use it with my bberry tour, sometimes its even faster than the hotel "broadband" but I'm also with Sprint, who knows, thought Verizon had the better network

go download june fabrics PDANet application. Works great to teather a blackberry (or others) for free :cheerleader: (of course you could pay the one time $30 fee too :whistle:)

I use it with my bberry tour, sometimes its even faster than the hotel "broadband" but I'm also with Sprint, who knows, thought Verizon had the better network

I will try this and see if it works. Thanks

Sprint Evo, if you can actually find one.

Samsung is putting out a 4g phone that specs better in some areas, and not as good in others as the Evo... Comes out at the end of this month. Just a matter of personal pref. what features matter, both incredible devices.

And you're not gonna get raped on the plan price either. 70 bucks a month, unlimited. Fast reliable speeds at 3g, and 4g coverage is growing fast.

I've been with Sprint for years, you won't find a better customer service dept. or more competetive plan prices IMO.

Back