Temp Sensor

homermacleod

Registered
My bike has been getting hot while sitting at a light for about 2 months now, within 2 or 3 light cycles, it would get just under the red..

I recently flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat. My radiator fan use to kick on when the gauge reached the halfway mark, but recently it would kick on a little over the half way mark for 10 to 20 seconds and then turn off before cooling the bike down. The needle would rise to 3/4 before the fan would cycle again. Yesterday, the needle reached to just about the red mark before I hit the kill switch. The fan never cycled. After killing the motor, I left the key in the on position and the fan turned on within 10 seconds of killing the motor.

I'm guessing it is safe to assume that the fan switch is bad and needs to be replaced. After reading a few posts on overheating, I read that someone replaced the temp sensor, fan switch, thermostat and flushed the cooling system to fix their overheating problem.

My question is: Does the temp sensor have any other function other than sending a signal to the temp gauge? Is there any other thing that I might have missed that I should be looking for?

Will go back and read your entire post but it sounds like you have air sir. You need to burp that bad boy.

My bike has been getting hot while sitting at a light for about 2 months now, within 2 or 3 light cycles, it would get just under the red..

I recently flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat. My radiator fan use to kick on when the gauge reached the halfway mark, but recently it would kick on a little over the half way mark for 10 to 20 seconds and then turn off before cooling the bike down. The needle would rise to 3/4 before the fan would cycle again. Yesterday, the needle reached to just about the red mark before I hit the kill switch. The fan never cycled. After killing the motor, I left the key in the on position and the fan turned on within 10 seconds of killing the motor.

I'm guessing it is safe to assume that the fan switch is bad and needs to be replaced. After reading a few posts on overheating, I read that someone replaced the temp sensor, fan switch, thermostat and flushed the cooling system to fix their overheating problem.

My question is: Does the temp sensor have any other function other than sending a signal to the temp gauge? Is there any other thing that I might have missed that I should be looking for?

Two different sensors from memory. One controls the fan relay, the other sends a signal to the ECU which sends a signal to the temp gauge. Burp It.

Thanks Robert.

I thought I got all the air out, but I was wrong. I let it run for 20 min in the garage last night and the gauge did not rise above half.

Back