TAMPA RELOCATION

CHUBBY60

Registered
Any Tampa rider's out there , My job is relocating me to TAMPA and I am looking for some suggestions on where to look for a house. I have 3 cars,3 bikes and 2 Large Dogs so a community is out of the question. I heard Wesley Chappel has some 'Rural' area's. THanks

Have fun with the property tax down there. Anywhere near Tampa is a killer. I am going to be moving to the Ft. Meyers-Naples area very soon. A little better than Tampa on taxes. If you can find a smaller town away from Clear Water and Tampa you will do better.

Tampa rider here...about 20 miles north of downtown Tampa...Land O' Lakes, exactly, which is just west of Wesley Chapel...and from WC you're close to the better riding areas.

Actually, although taxes are still a b*tch down here, about $5,700 for me last year, taxes were slightly better in 07' than 06' and only slightly better here than Hillsborough County (Tampa). Luckily, I'm 5 miles north of the county line.

Hit me up when you get down here.

thanks! I am scheduled for a relocation real estate trip next month and hope to be down there by July or sooner if I can sell my house here. taxes up here are about the same, I am looking forward to being able to ride year round!!!

year round riding makes everything do much better.. lol im down in miami we just get the rainy blues from time to time.

Yea you will have a good time check out ybor city and not only taxes will kill you but home owners insurance man i was in ft lickadale(lauderdale) and it killed me thats why the family and i moved to nc but you will love the weather dude goodluck down their
beerchug.gif

Stay out of Pinellas (Clearwater) and Hillsborough (Tampa)counties and you will save big bucks on home taxes. Lutz, Land o Lakes, Trinity are in Pasco county and you can still get some property.

If you don't mind traffic (which is horrendous here) try Spring Hill or Wesley Chapel areas. I live in Port Richey and there are some great houses just east of Little Road in Port Richey, that have 2-3 acres, nice homes, fenced.

But try to look in Pasco County. There is an expressway that takes you into Tampa for a quicker commute.

I was looking at some homes in New Port Richey(VIA Internet) this morning. Whats the deal with FLOOD AREA's. Every place I looked was either a flood area or within 100 feet of a flood area. The job is located on Memorial Highway and some folks that work for me there said to avoid Interstate 4.

lol Most of fl is a flood area kills you on the home owners man i have a few friends living on the west cost in new port richey they love it but hate the taxes and insurance and the fact that they could of bought the same house this year for like 30 grand less then what they payed almost 2 years ago but thats a plus for you and also they are looking to vote for a 50000 homestead exemption instead of the 25000 that might help alittle
beerchug.gif

I was looking at some homes in New Port Richey(VIA Internet) this morning. Whats the deal with FLOOD AREA's. Every place I looked was either a flood area or within 100 feet of a flood area. The job is located on Memorial Highway and some folks that work for me there said to avoid Interstate 4.
LOL.. yep, try to stay away from flood areas. It'll double your home insurance. I don't know if you've looked at a map, but if you stay to the east of highway 19, you'll be out of the flood area. Also in the listings, if it mentions, you want flood area C or D. Stay out of A or B.

npr.JPG

Search in Odessa also. But Odessa us partly in Hillsborough county, and partly in Pasco.. stay to the Pasco side.

Yes, don't go east (Interstate 4), as Memorial is in West Tampa. And I4 is scary.. lots of accidents, poor planning.. it's a mess.

OK.. one more..here's a flood map for Pasco County. Notice everything to the West of Highway 19 is Flood Zone A.. no good.

flood map

I have family that lives in Springhill and I am lookng to move there next year sometime I really like it there.
thumb_up.gif

Thanks to everyone who replied! I figured I would get a better answer here then at the real estate web sites!!!

But try to look in Pasco County. There is an expressway that takes you into Tampa for a quicker commute.
Brenda, if you are referring to Veteran's X-way it's a nightmare with normal traffic between 7-9 am. I get on VX-way from the Dale Mabry entrance ramp starting in Lutz and with normal flow I have to leave my house (30 miles from office) at 6:30 to "ensure" I am at my office before 8:00, which is in the Westshore district, just after his Memorial location. If I leave 6:00-6:10 I can be down there inside of 40 minutes.
With a bad accident, like the car fire a couple months ago, it took me 2.5 hours. At that point, I may as well pull over to a coffee shop or stay home for another 2 hours.

Good thing is I only have to be in the office at 8 am 1-2 times per week.
tounge.gif

I live 2.5 miles west of I75. I work on the causeway (near the TIA) Takes half an hour to get to work.
Its 10 mins from my house to the 1st twisty road. I do not live in a flood zone.
My house is for sale CHEAP. 6 bedrooms, 3 full baths, livingroom, dining room, Large family room, eat in kitchen,
large 2 car garage. Master bedroom is larger than the garage!

I used to live in Selden/Centereach/Port Jeff The traffic here is nothing compared to the LIE.

pirate.gif
Raider out.
P1544

Brenda, if you are referring to Veteran's X-way it's a nightmare with normal traffic between 7-9 am.  I get on VX-way from the Dale Mabry entrance ramp starting in Lutz and with normal flow I have to leave my house (30 miles from office) at 6:30 to "ensure" I am at my office before 8:00, which is in the Westshore district, just after his Memorial location.  If I leave 6:00-6:10 I can be down there inside of 40 minutes.
With a bad accident, like the car fire a couple months ago, it took me 2.5 hours.  At that point, I may as well pull over to a coffee shop or stay home for another 2 hours.

tounge.gif
Well, thank god I don't ever have to drive it! Didn't know it was that bad. I've only taken it to the airport at different times.

I was considering a job on Westshore, thnking I'd take the express to cut down the drive. Good thing that didn't work out!

I live 2.5 miles west of I75. I work on the causeway (near the TIA) Takes half an hour to get to work.

pirate.gif
  Raider out.
P1544

Ummm.. Riding the Busa at warp speed every day to work is probably NOT what EVERYONE else does, there Raider.  
poke.gif

BUT, you are nice and close to the twisties! I'll give you that.
cool.gif

Brenda, if you are referring to Veteran's X-way it's a nightmare with normal traffic between 7-9 am. I get on VX-way from the Dale Mabry entrance ramp starting in Lutz and with normal flow I have to leave my house (30 miles from office) at 6:30 to "ensure" I am at my office before 8:00, which is in the Westshore district, just after his Memorial location. If I leave 6:00-6:10 I can be down there inside of 40 minutes.
With a bad accident, like the car fire a couple months ago, it took me 2.5 hours. At that point, I may as well pull over to a coffee shop or stay home for another 2 hours.

tounge.gif
Well, thank god I don't ever have to drive it! Didn't know it was that bad. I've only taken it to the airport at different times.

I was considering a job on Westshore, thnking I'd take the express to cut down the drive. Good thing that didn't work out!
Oh, btw, this is in my car. For example, yesterday, I left my driveway at 6:45 am and arrived at 7:50. That's good for a Monday...Mondays are typically worse than most days for some reason...probably all the airport traffic. It really starts to snail along once you get to the last toll at Hillsborough Ave.

Also, when school is not in session it makes a big difference.

My best advice, not being funny.... Stay outta Florida.
thumb_up.gif
Then you'll be just fine.
biggrin.gif

Year around riding??? Sure if you're into sweat, and love heat exhaustion.
smile.gif

Some good people in the Tampa area, Most have already posted, what you have left is 16million folks all certain that they are:

1. Entitled... Doesn't matter to what, they are just pretty certain that they are somehow deserving and entitled.

2. In it for themselves, pretty sure everyone else is "Trying to get over on me".

3. Most convinced they are wealthy, Cheap property, low cost of living, and sub-Prime lending lead to this.

4. Welcome to the most mindlessly aggressive, unskilled, and uncooperative drivers in the country. Oh and they will not speak
English, have insurance, and most likely will NOT stop if they run you down.

5. Welcome to 88 degrees at 0600 with 90% humidity, they call it Spring/Summer/Fall.

6. Living in Florida is like a buying a boat, there are two great days. The day you move down there, and the day you leave.

7. Love bugs... Huge swarms of scummy gritty little useless flying bits of crap...Bring a change of gear when riding.

8. Florida women, there's a photo of Florida women in the dictionary, under the entry for Plastic,
Money grubbing, sac Chasers. Not all of them, but but you'll see more pathetic fake breasts, more
vacuous looks, and more injected, empty heads in one day, than in months of cruising around in most other
states.

9. Hurricanes, God's way of saying "Hey, that dangling wang of a State is infested, lets scrub it down."

10. Florida State Bird??? Freaking Buzzard... Enough Said.

11. Crime... Ah yes, not just any sort of crime, no no, a particular flavor of Florida violent crime... There's a lot of it.

OK OK, I'm not being fair, there are some good things about Florida,

1. No elevation change, yup next to none, You cross the Sunshine skyway bridge, you've just been over the highest
road on the West coast of Florida.

2. Winter riding is pretty damned nice. 70-80 clear and Sunny Most of the time, it's great for about two weeks,
then you'll realize that Santa looks ridiculous when it's 80 degrees out.

3. Speeding is normal, really speeding 90+ pretty common. Good if you are out in the sticks with friends.

4. Straightaways, long stretches of twist it to the limit straights... Kind of fun.

5. If you like critters, this is your state.
-Lizards, everywhere, pretty cool.
-Frogs, everywhere, Pretty cool.
-Snakes, everywhere.
-Raccoons, Bobcats, Wild Pigs, Everywhere, your new development just wiped out most of them probably,
but some might survive.
-Birds, everywhere, all sorts of birds... Though Mostly Buzzards.

6. Warm water, if you enjoy swimming in your own urine, you'll LOVE the Gulf...
Water temp is at just the perfect temperature.

7. Fantastic sunrises from the Courtney Cambell Causeway when East bound during morning commute.

Tampa itself is probably the best city in Florida, Damning via faint praise sure, but it's pretty decent over all.
- Clean when compared to Miami or Jacksonville.
- The Florida Aquarium is very nice, one of the better ones we've visited.
- Busch Gardens has some killer rides, Just don't get mugged, or shot getting in or out...
- Lots of good restaurants.
- Lots of good shopping.
- Buccaneers have cool uniforms.
- Real Good People from Tampa area here on the Board, that aren't afraid of actually meeting up.
- Wonderful Airport, easy to get through.
- Lot's of new neighborhoods that are pretty well designed.

We lived in the Westchase Area, it was close to the airport, shopping, downtown, pretty much everything. Was conveniant. Though as you mentioned if you need to be out a little bit and NOT in a neighborhood you should be able to hook that up pretty easy with the housing market depressed the way it is. Find yourself a few acres in Pasco county.

Be certain to hook up with Raider, Greg, and Brenda once you get settled. Raider has a Backroad map second to none.

In Fairness I couldn't stand Florida, mostly because I hate being sticky, I hate empty headed plastic women, and I need mountains and hills to feel alive. But if you like hot and humid, and you like partying and hanging out year around? Florida is the place to be. They know how to party and have a good time, which could explain their driving.... they are always hungover.
ices_rofl.gif

Back