T-Mobile users. you might want to read this

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
The secret service busted this 21 year old who had been accessing T-mobile servers for over a year. obtaining personal information about T-mobile customers, even hacking secret service email messages.

It seems that this issue is trying to be kept low profile.

However I enjoy spreading panic and such. So if you are T-Mobile customer you might want to read the following article released 11 Jan

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10271

I want to go down in history as the tech who first exclaimed, "Computers are not really helping people." And the parts where you think they are helping, are really serving to destroy human relations by changing our preception of reality and priority. This probably won't be understood now, but give it about 150 years and I wil have become a prophet!

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105573691 -->

This probably won't be understood now, but give it about 150 years and I wil have become a phrofet!
Uhhh WWJD. That's "prophet..." Couldn't help this one because it was wayyyy to funny when I read it.
laugh.gif

The secret service busted this 21 year old who had been accessing T-mobile servers for over a year. obtaining personal information about T-mobile customers, even hacking secret service email messages.

It seems that this issue is trying to be kept low profile.

However I enjoy spreading panic and such. So if you are T-Mobile customer you might want to read the following article released 11 Jan

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10271
T-fox,

Man you come up with some of the most interesting things. I don't know how you do it. I mean... uhhh... I KNOW YOU HAVE A JOB, RIGHT?
rock.gif
Or maybe this is your job? Tell the truth. You're a spy, right?
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Man you come up with some of the most interesting things. I don't know how you do it. I mean... uhhh... I KNOW YOU HAVE A JOB, RIGHT?
rock.gif
Or maybe this is your job? Tell the truth. You're a spy, right?
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

I just try to pass out information that I come across that is unclassified and releasble but could be helpful to others.

But usually all my stuff that I post, such as terrorist threat information, compter security issues and stuff do relate to my job. You would be amazed at the amount of reading and research I do and have to do on a daily basis..

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105550174 -->

wink.gif

Dang, does this mean I have to contact Tmobile to see if I've been had by a hacker???

Dang, does this mean I have to contact Tmobile to see if I've been had by a hacker???
Yeah.

I would probably go to the link I provided, print it out and contact your T-Mobile rep and question them about it.

Let them know you have been made aware of this, get them to verify on the phone that it is accurate (I am sure it is, but get them to admit it first) then pursue finding out from them if you have been personally compromised in anyway.

Because of different reasons they are trying to keep this a low profile. Your immediate T-Mobile rep might honestly not know about it. You might have to go to management before you find anyone who is aware of it.

If you do contact them it would be interesting to find out their response and reaction to your inquiry.

So if you do contact them and you feel so inclined, please report back to us what they say and how they react.

I know someone that works in the T-mobile Network Security group. This would have happened prior to his employment there. He's suspicious of EVERYBODY!
wink.gif

Wow! I have a T-Mobile cell phone. I think these pukes should be in prison and not recruited to work for the US government. This just encourages this behavior so you can get a great federal job.
mad.gif

Wow! I have a T-Mobile cell phone. I think these pukes should be in prison and not recruited to work for the US government. This just encourages this behavior so you can get a great federal job.
mad.gif
The problem lies within the fact that hackers have their own self driven mission. They often will spend 18 or more hours a day doing nothing but hacking.

Federally employed computer techs often start out, or eventually fit into the mold of a "9-5" job.

And hackers have nothing else to do but hack for 18 or more hours a day.

While federal employees are often over worked and have other things they have to do such as justify their positions, fill out reports etc etc etc.

So what happens is the hackers become way more efficient at hacking while the government falls behind the power curve and lacks the knowledge to prevent hackers from hacking. In order to prevent a hack, you have to know how to hack.

When it comes to computer hacking, there is a very fine line between the good guys and the bad guys.

So while in an ideal world, hackers should be prosecuted, but often they are offered jobs if they are good enough because in this scenario, the end often justifies the means.

It is not uncommon at all for the government AND might I add corporations to higher hackers.

The government has even had well known hacker groups come before congress at the governments request.

Some hackers hack to help open up security flaws so they can force people to fix them, other hackers hack for personal gain.

Usually the experienced hackers who hack systems to open up security flaws to force company's to fix them are the hackers that "usually" are offered jobs.

But it is not always the case. Hackers some times get sent to prison, sometimes are restricted from using any computers for years as part of their probation.

It all depends on the circumstances, the hackers abilities and the need of the government.

But I would rather have a good hacker be recruited by the government and working for us than to be sent to jail by the government and sit in jail for 5 years planning his / her revenge then get out.

Besides, it is said to keep your friends close and your enemies closer. If the government has a hacker working for them, it is easier to keep tabs on them AND you can utilize their abilities as a resource at the same time.

It’s a war and you have to be smart about it and not let morality get in the way of making the right decision

If it wasn't for hackers I wouldn't have my current job. The computer technology wouldn't have progressed as fast as it did.

The good guys have the skills to hack, but the morales not to do it.

The bad guys have the skills/tools (not all of them are really that smart), but lack the morales to not do it.

I'm proud to say I HAVE the good morales, and use them!

beerchug.gif

Good article, securityfocus is a great site BTW, lots of reformed hackers write for it, and have a stake in it, like Kevin Poulsen. The really scary part is the stuff that doesn't get disclosed.

Update, being a T-Mobile customer I contacted the customer care reps and inquired. They said of course they knew nothing about this.... Next, I called corporate. Same ol line and story. This is not very reassuring and I must admit makes me want to find a new carrier....

As I stated before. You will probably have a difficult time finding anyone at T-Mobile who either knows anything about it, or if they do they will probably be reluctant about admitting to it since they never discovered it themselves.

If it wasn’t for the Secret Service investigating something else, T-Mobile probably still would not know they were being hacked.

In any event, here is a press release directly from the secret service, it can be found on U.S. Secret Service's web site (yes, the secret service has a web site lol )

This PDF file is a press release about Operation Firewall. While it does not give specific company names.. you can read it for yourself and combine that with the release from the security focus web site and put two and two together.

Note at the bottom of the document, it reads:

EDITOR’S NOTE: For questions concerning this release, please contact the United States Secret
Service Office of Government and Public Affairs at 202-406-5708. Additional information on
Operation Firewall is available through the United States District Court, District of New
Jersey.

So while T-Mobile might not want to admit to it, you can probably go through the hassle of contacting the the government place listed at the bottom of the document and due to the freedom of information act, obtain further information which will probably list company names and such.

I am with Verizon so this doesnt affect me. However if I were with T-Mobile I would be concerned and pissed enough to follow through and verify that T-Mobile was hacked. And then maybe file a law suit for T-mobile not only NOT notifying its customers, but denying it when confronted.

However for numerous reasons a law suit in the end probably will not get you anywhere. T-Mobile can keep there mouths shut, and if push comes to shove all they have to say is because of an ongoing Govvernment invesitigation they were not "allowed" to say anything.

At which point any judge will probably just throw it out of court.

So I guess in the end.. T-Mobile users are just screwed.

but more than likely other phone companies have been, are being or will be hacked themselves and people will probably never hear about it.. Including the phone companies themselves

"I know this steak isnt real, but it still tastes good"

Anyway, here is the Gov link.

http://www.ustreas.gov/usss/press/pub2304.pdf

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105565336 -->

Yeah.

I would probably go to the link I provided, print it out and contact your T-Mobile rep and question them about it.

Let them know you have been made aware of this, get them to verify on the phone that it is accurate (I am sure it is, but get them to admit it first) then pursue finding out from them if you have been personally compromised in anyway.

Because of different reasons they are trying to keep this a low profile. Your immediate T-Mobile rep might honestly not know about it. You might have to go to management before you find anyone who is aware of it.

If you do contact them it would be interesting to find out their response and reaction to your inquiry.

So if you do contact them and you feel so inclined, please report back to us what they say and how they react.
I spoke to a Tmobile rep & he stated that he had no knowledge of their systems being hacked. He also stated that their fraud prevention squad is always upgrading their systems to better help protect our personall info. I'll try again later & keep you Fellas posted.

And btw..

If anyone is frustrated with T-Mobile not admitting to it.. I wouldn't be surprised if only top management knew about it and they probably sent a memo out to ONLY top management telling everyone to keep their mouths shut and don't say anything..

Kind if like if you were camping and got drunk and woke up the next morning with your pants around your ankles and your butt packed with butter, how many of you are going to go around telling everyone? or are you just going to pull your pants up and hope no one founds out...

Same thing here, they got caught with their pants down (providing it is true, which I am pretty sure it is).

And the worst that is going to happen if they keep their mouths shut is someone will sue them, and like I stated in a previous post, I could see good lawyers easily defending their position not to admit to anything..

So they have nothing to lose by keeping their mouths shut but they have a lot to lose by admitting it.

Most people will call, ask, be told it never happened and it will be dropped and no one will know the wiser

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105574017 -->

Back