swing arm extensions...

amc91z

Registered
I've been thinking about some swingarm extensions for my 06 hayabusa to make it more track friendly. I've never owned an extended bike before and not really sure whats good and whats not. I've found these on ebay that come with a chain but didnt know they looked good and if the chain was a quality brand.
eBay Motors: HAYABUSA 4-6" 99-07 BILLET SWINGARM EXTENSION & CHAIN (item 150309743240 end time Nov-19-08 22:18:57 PST)

along with the extensions i'm wanting to gear it down for the track as well. The busa is mostly stock, aside from a full yoshi exhaust, gutted air box, TRE, power commander, front end strapped down, and lowered a little in the rear. I'm 6'3" 270 lbs if that is relevant.
any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
Certain items where if they were to fail can cause bodily harm,are items not to take risk with. Cheap extensions,dog bones,etc fall under that category in my book. All that torque is being put through those extension bolts. You be the judge on the risk you be willing to take.

so scrap the extensions idea and go with a full swingarm? Where would be a good place to find a quality swing arm and what chain should i go with?
thanks for all the help!
Adam

so scrap the extensions idea and go with a full swingarm? Where would be a good place to find a quality swing arm and what chain should i go with?
thanks for all the help!
Adam

extensions are okay. they are used all the time. you have to get good ones is all.

How can i tell the good from the bad??? What would i look for?
Thanks,
Adam

Ask what Billet is used to make them. I used 6061T. Look at how think they are. Here are some pics of mine that I make.

l_55c7d44a682884d07bf8b2f80c812a97.jpg

Extensions11.jpg

Busa203_0720003.jpg

This shows the critical area on the extensions. Notice how there is only 1/4 inch of material between the pocket and the end of the swingarm.

ExtSwingarm.jpg

Serious question here has anyone ever seen extensions fail?
Marie

Yes I have that is why I recommend staying away from ebay junk. You dont know what kind of Billet they use and they are normally cheap copies. They chrome over or Anodize them to hide the quality. I have been making extensions since 1990 and have had zero failures.

I would go with a full swingarm myself for safety issues. I don't recommend extensions on Busa, that's alot of horsepower and torque going thru to the rear tire. I would also recommend a good chain.

As long as you go no longer than 7 inches and get some that are quality made. Go longer than 7 inches them you should get weld in extensions.

I was thinking of buying a stock swingarm that has 2-6 over extentions already welded in it, that's why I asked.

i have seen more custom swingarms fail than bolt on extensions.....its just like anything else, pay good money, and get good quality...

do some research, ask some questions, don't skimp.

Back