Swapping swingarms

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
I have a factory black swingarm I want to put on. I'm gonna make the socket tools. My question is, do I use a regular bearing puller,i.e. slide hammer. Or is there a special tool for pivot bearings? I've been achin to do this swap for 2yrs now so this WILL be the year I get it done!

PLEASE HELP :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

nope, sorry Shorty. Did your dad tell ya I came up with a new breakthrough?
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a factory black swingarm I want to put on. I'm gonna make the socket tools. My question is, do I use a regular bearing puller,i.e. slide hammer. Or is there a special tool for pivot bearings? I've been achin to do this swap for 2yrs now so this WILL be the year I get it done!

PLEASE HELP :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

The pivot bearings are contained IN the s/arm, shouldnt' need a bearing puller unless the s/arm you're installing doesn't have the bearings in it yet. If that's the case, have a local shop take care of that for cheap, it's worth the minimal cost to avoid the headache of doing it. Once you pull the bolts and pivot tube, the s/arm will come out w/out an issue. Making the tools is time consuming, I had to cut down 1/2" drive sockets w/ a dremel and then file by hand to get them to fit right. Can be done easily, but prepare to give up some time to do it. Getting the torque correct on teh axle when reinstalling is key, use anti-sieze since the locking collar is steel and the frame is aluminum or you take the chance of galling the threads for later removal and maintenance of the bearings.

Back