SUZUKI GSX-R Dirt Bike

Hayabusa custom and performance group on fb, someone just posted a gen1 busa motor on a dirt bike.

The whole idea of a dirt bike is to keep it light and nimble...

Putting a big heavy complicated engine in a dirt bike makes little sense unless it was to say "look what I did"

I found my CR250 was plenty quick and in most situations would run circles around the bigger dirt bikes.

The whole idea of a dirt bike is to keep it light and nimble...

Putting a big heavy complicated engine in a dirt bike makes little sense unless it was to say "look what I did"

I found my CR250 was plenty quick and in most situations would run circles around the bigger dirt bikes.

But just imagine riding it.
The video in the snow is awesome.
I wouldn't be against building one of those(with better brakes).
Remember too that dirtbikes used to be heavy, lol.
And the hp makes up for the weight.

But just imagine riding it.
The video in the snow is awesome.
I wouldn't be against building one of those(with better brakes).
Remember too that dirtbikes used to be heavy, lol.
And the hp makes up for the weight.

I recall an article somewhere I read that Kenny Roberts commented on the TZR750 flat track bike and he said "they don't pay me enough to ride that thing"

You've ridden some serious dirt bikes, you know the capability of them.

I'm going to dig around and see what would be a better dirt front end that could easily be swapped on to an older gsxr1k.
Something with better brakes, and that could be revalved for the weight.
Fabbing caliper mounts would not be a problem.
Something like a big cc KTM or Husky sounds better than a lightweight 450 race bike. And even a single rotor/caliper fabbed on from the 1k should provide enough stopping power.
I've seen quite a few salvage title, but completely ridable 1k's on CL over the years in the $2k-$2500 range.
They always caught my eye as future stuntbikes, but I wanted a Good 1k roadbike first.
Seeing the ground clearance this 1k has with the dirt front end is eye opening to me.
I could put a better version of that together for the price of a good used dual sport(with liability insurance for cheap too).
My Dad could fab a cage and any brackets too(he has a cnc plasma cutting machine he built), and is always up for one of my projects.
A 1k sportbike And a 1k dirtbike sounds like the perfect garage to me.
As always I'm rambling about what to buy next, but this one has really, really got me thinking again in the last few weeks.
hmmmm

Last edited:
That is really one of the best motorcycles that I have Ever seen(needing brakes and few small improvements).
Go anywhere, And capable of evading high speed pursuit, lmao!
Stay tuned org, one of these days you'll read one of my posts and I'll have actually bought something again...seriously.

And I thought my DR650 was a pig in the dirt. Wonder how much more this bike weights?!!

A DR650 has around 43-46hp, and 38-39 lb' torque.
Wet weight around 340 lbs.
Average gsxr1k has 165-175hp, and 85-90lb' of torque, and weighs around 440 lbs wet.
Minus the fairings, replacing wheels with much lighter spokes than cast aluminum, a few lbs switching from 530 to 520 chain/sprockets, aftetmarket exhaust, and you easily get a bike that's roughly 75lbs heavier(but with most all of that weight low and in the engine, as fuel capacity/weight is similiar), only over double the torque and 4 times the hp.
I like the numbers.
This is what a dual-sport should be.
Yes, I am doing my homework.
I seriously think that I have found my next project and what I really want to ride.
More to come.
And, Anyone with suggestions for forks, brakes(will likely be from the 1k), or Any part of this, Please, post it up, I want to hear it.

A DR650 has around 43-46hp, and 38-39 lb' torque.
Wet weight around 340 lbs.
Average gsxr1k has 165-175hp, and 85-90lb' of torque, and weighs around 440 lbs wet.
Minus the fairings, replacing wheels with much lighter spokes than cast aluminum, a few lbs switching from 530 to 520 chain/sprockets, aftetmarket exhaust, and you easily get a bike that's roughly 75lbs heavier(but with most all of that weight low and in the engine, as fuel capacity/weight is similiar), only over double the torque and 4 times the hp.
I like the numbers.
This is what a dual-sport should be.
Yes, I am doing my homework.
I seriously think that I have found my next project and what I really want to ride.
More to come.
And, Anyone with suggestions for forks, brakes(will likely be from the 1k), or Any part of this, Please, post it up, I want to hear it.
You know where I live, so I’m not worried about horsepower or lack of it, is the weight that I’m worried about. I’m thinking about dirt riding down here through this sugar sand on a bike even heavier than a dr650. Have you tried these husky 700 or whatever is called? Those things are supposed to be awesome.

You know where I live, so I’m not worried about horsepower or lack of it, is the weight that I’m worried about. I’m thinking about dirt riding down here through this sugar sand on a bike even heavier than a dr650. Have you tried these husky 700 or whatever is called? Those things are supposed to be awesome.

No, I don't think I've ever ridden a Husqvarna anything(other than a lawn mower, lol).
Most any of thier dual-sports, and the Ktm's are stupid expensive too. Even my friend's '19 Honda crf450 was somewhere around $10,500.
I can deal with the weight as long as the power is there. Whenever I get on a gsxr1k, or any 1k, they feel like they're gonna fly away.
I get what you're saying about weight for sandy, swampy areas too, but any of that where I live is easily avoidable. Things do get muddy here(especially with above average rainfall in recent years), but most of the ground off road is hard packed and rocky.
I've ridden XR650's and other big dual sports as well, and with low hp and high center of gravity, they feel heavier than a 1k to me.
And as I've mentioned before, a friend of mine has an 09 gsxr1k with dirtbike bars, and has to be my favorite of all the many different sportbikes I've owned and ridden over the years. Riding that, and seeing that a dirt fork swap gives great ground clearance, along with the fact that I could do this for the price of a good used stock dual-sport, has convinced me that this IS just what I need(and still a good street 1k too).
I was ready to go buy an Aprilia ds a couple weeks ago for $2k, but it had just sold.
I can get a running beater 1k for around that price, and go from there.

This is what I think for what it's worth....get on the hunt and find what you are looking for...we go around this dust-bowl but once so we need to have fun.

Hard to say which front end would be best....has to be strong let be able to handle the weight of a 1k bike. V Strom 1 K front end might work.

This is what I think for what it's worth....get on the hunt and find what you are looking for...we go around this dust-bowl but once so we need to have fun.

Hard to say which front end would be best....has to be strong let be able to handle the weight of a 1k bike. V Strom 1 K front end might work.

Ha, yep!
Watching those videos, That is my kind of fun. V-Strom, now there's an idea.
Thanks man, I'll check that out.

Back