Suspension Settings

Mikey D

Registered
I just bought an '02 Busa. It has a restored salvage title so I have gone over every fastner on the bike. It runs and handles like nothing I have ever ridden. The problem is high seed cornering. When going through high speed turns (90-120 MPH) it feels like the back end is wallowing (compressing and extending several times through the turn) Needless to say this is uncomfortable at speed. Does anyone have anytips on setting the up/tuning the stock suspension?

P.S. I am a poor school teacher raising 6 children so the answer cannot be spend big $ on new suspension trix

excellent question, however you are not likely to get alot of response. I have seen at least 5 questions like this and none had response. I think its because each bike and rider is different and honestly it is an art, not a science to tune suspensions. Having said that I will take a shot.

First what are we working with? Is it a stock shock in back? Is it off a Busa? The reason I ask that is since you have salvage title, it was in a wreck at some time. Didi it get rear-ended? If so they may have replaced the swingarm and shock with new. And they may have substituted a non busa shock?

What is the condition of the tire and the pressure you are running? Go no lower than 30 PSI at any time. 35 to max pressure is OK. Lower will get you more patch on the road but it causes the tire to "walk" on the rim a little. It gives you better small bump compliance but it can cause a tire to bottom out and pinch if you hit the edge of a pot hole. 38-40 PSI is good for the street. 32 is good for the track.

Next if it is kosher, what is the motion like. UP/DOWN or Side-to-side? If side to side I would suspect improper install of the swingarm. if up and down, then it is a poorly adjusted rear spring and shock. The spring may not have the correct "sag" and need the preload adjusted. Then set the compression and rebound screws to the stock settings in the owners manual. That is a good starting point. From there you can mess with it to suit your style and preference. If you have too harsh a ride back off the compression screw a click or two. if your wheel skips in turn as you go over bumps, you may want to firm up the comression or relax the rebound at little. That will keep the wheel closer to the road surface.

From what you said I will try to guess at the problem. If the parts are Busa and installed correctly then I would say the rear spring is too soft relative to the front forks. AS you dive into these high speed turns, the G forces compress both front and rear. If the rear is softer then the back end will sag more and change the whole geomerty of the steering. It will upset the front wheel and make you feel less than stable. then it unloads a little that feeds back to the rear suspension. Then the loads would build up again the cycle restarts. Does it pogo in the rear only? There are so many interrelationships in the suspensions that a small thing can cause a big problem when under loads.

Good luck, I am sure you will narrow it down. Try to find out what parts were changed on the whole bike. It may point you in the right direction.

I just bought an '02 Busa.  It has a restored salvage title so I have gone over every fastner on the bike.  It runs and handles like nothing I have ever ridden.  The problem is high seed cornering.  When going through high speed turns (90-120 MPH) it feels like the back end is wallowing (compressing and extending several times through the turn) Needless to say this is uncomfortable at speed.  Does anyone have anytips on setting the up/tuning the stock suspension?

P.S. I am a poor school teacher raising 6 children so the answer cannot be spend big $ on new suspension trix
How much do you weigh? You probably want to completely "reset" the suspension.

I weigh 185 + gear.  However I have found the problem!  After riding to my side job one morning (about 35 miles) I found I had a flat rear.  Upon examination I found the rim had pealed away from the bead in a strip about 5 inches long!  It must have been cracked and the last ride on a low tire broke it free!  Needless to say I was glad I had notice the bike acting squirly and had taken it easy on the way to work.  I found a rear wheel on ebay ($235) bought a new meat (208) and set the suspension to the midrange on all settings.  The beast now sticks to the ground like it should.  Thank you for all your help.
biggrin.gif

I wonder if we could get people to post thier settings here.
How much they weigh and how many clicks on each adjuster.

I'm taking my bike out this weekend and to the track next week and tweaking the suspension, when I get to what works for me 170lbs I'll post what I have and then people can have an idea of where to start from.

Whaddya think?

That's a good idea O I would really like to know what works on the track. Although I weigh 200lbs, your info would be a good start. I saw a good rider on a Suzuki 600 beat a guy on a Busa at the track last night, it wasn't pretty, I don't want that to be me.:0

Guys,

Sport Riders web site has their reccomended suspension settings from their review sessions for all sport bikes. They are listed for the Hayabusa and could be a good place to start.

Kent

That's a good idea O I would really like to know what works on the track.  Although I weigh 200lbs, your info would be a good start.  I saw a good rider on a Suzuki 600 beat a guy on a Busa at the track last night, it wasn't pretty, I don't want that to be me.:0
the guy on the busa musta sucked...even if you suck you should be able to run in the 10s. A 600 prolly can run 11's....10's if he's good.

yes, sport riders settings are good i noticed an inprovment in handling. when i went from stock tires to d208s it helped out even more. another couple of ideas are to raise the rear end with shorter lower links, which will give you quicker turn in and re spring the forks and shock. i have re sprung the forks, just springs, to my weight. if you can find a company that offers a rear stock shock springs in many rates you may be able to find your rate. springs are not to much around $100 for the front(both) and around $120 for rear, you may have to measure the rear spring to macth it up. those two things will much improve the handling of t your bikes. know i have re sprung the front and installed a ohlins shock with matching spring and wow, it handles very well. i had the $ so what the hell it has adjustable ride height in the rear and my spring rate, but you can get around having to spend all that $ by finding the springs and shorter lower links. as far as settings, front, with springs, i have left the sport rider settings. rear is a little different because of the shock , but i have increased the preload and noticed that i can out handle alot of people in the med to long sweepers, it sticks very well. tires i also upgraded to perrellis diablo coras, i like them better. i know that everyone always are like oh just buy alot of expensive parts but i hope that the tips i have shared with you guys about the springs and shorter lower links will help.

I wonder if we could get people to post thier settings here.
How much they weigh and how many clicks on each adjuster.

I'm taking my bike out this weekend and to the track next week and tweaking the suspension, when I get to what works for me 170lbs I'll post what I have and then people can have an idea of where to start from.

Whaddya think?
Might be better to start a new thread and if its kept relatively on track, it'll probably get pinned.

I did the Jinkster method (see link Charlesbusa posted) and it's WONDERFUL. I don't get too much travel esp in the rear shock when high speed turning, don't drag hard parts anymore either. I have my front preload @ 2 lines showing, rebound @ 3 clicks out and compression @ 4 clicks.

Rear: 20 mm (.78") of thread preload showing. rebound=10 clicks and compression=7 clicks.

I'm constantly looking for that "perfect" feel so I'm always adjusting my compression/rebound and varying the preload a little. I've set everything on my Busa according to Laden Sag+my weight (226 lbs).

Back