Suggested Suspension settings

johncal

Registered
I got these suspension settings from 2wf.com (two wheel freaks). If you read their review of the bike, you will see how they came up with these settings.

I am now using these settings on my Busa (2003), and found that it feels like a different and much better handling machine. You can really feel the tires much better now. It feels like it's on rails.

IMPORTANT: When talking about adjusting someting XX clicks out, it means from the FULL IN adjustment position. READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL to understand how to make these adjustments first. If you adjust from the factory position, your bike will turn into a Cadillac and you will turn into a bush the next time you try to turn....

Front suspension:
Preload - 2.5 lines showing
Compression - out 2 clicks
Rebound - out 2 clicks

Rear suspension:
Preload - 1.25 inches of sag
Compression - out 5 clicks
rebound - out 7 clicks

Since you need to be very careful doing this, the responsibility is yours.

Let me ask "why did you post this?". Understand that suspension settings are dependent first upon rider weight and riding style, then upon what conditions you will be riding in.

I've supplied these settings since they work MUCH better than the settings supplied from the factory. (At least for me). Yes it's true there are many things that influence suspension settings such as road surface, outside temperature, rider weight...and on and on. However this is a forum where input is desired. you make it sound as if nothing should be suggested.

By the way, what settings have you adjusted your Hayabusa to?

Do you know how to do them?

I would suggest you read the article on the Hayabusa at 2wf.com and see if you might aggree that their test riders are perhaps indeed qualified to make these suggestions. They did extensive track testing and it works.

Hey busahigg!

Do you ever read any motorcycle magazines? Obviosly not or you would have noticed that all bike mags give their own suspension settings for every bike they test. Johncal is just putting info out there that some of us, say in Michigan, might not have seen. Lay off my man johncal!

Sorry, I had to vent!

Johncal, "Performance Bikes" mag has their settings at

Front: preload-2 rings showing
rebound-2 clicks from full in
compression-5 clicks from full in
Rear: preload-6mm of thread showing from top of locking ring to end of thread
rebound-15 clicks from full in
compression-17 clicks from full in

I tried these but they didnt work for me. Still trying to fine tune.
Also remember on the forks the rebound is on top, and on the rear its on the bottom.

Welcome to the Board Johnny...

Busahigg - Let's go a little light on the guy...  He was adding his input, and it is a subject we are interested in...

BTW - John and CNJD, I believe that Busahigg has forgotten more about suspension settings than all three of us added together and squared will ever know! So, let's also go easy on him. He has earned his wings boys.

We should all know that setting are very PERSONAL and yours are different then mine, etc.

Everybody step back for a second...  Take a couple of deep breaths...  Now move in for the group hug.

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

rock.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Hey Guys, Thanks for the backing. I was wondering how the guys on the board were, but it looks like most are O.K.

BTW, I replaced the stock exhaust with a set of RS3 bolt ons and got the throttle bodies synchronized. Between those two things I've actually gotten even better overall performance results than changing the suspension settings. The engine resonse is so smooooooth now. Really easy crankin' out of the turns now.

Also, just finished reading Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. Great book with a lot of valuable info. A must read for $20 bucks. One can never learn too much.

Johncal

Hey CNJDAWSON, after looking at the settings you tried, it appears that the settings they used are very soft for the back end...very close to stock. Did you try the settings I mentioned?

Johncal

Hey Johncal, the factory service manual for my '02 lists:

standard settings
7 mm preload
11 clicks rebound
8 clicks compression

stiffer settings
7mm preload
10 clicks rebound
7 clicks compression

It would appear the settings you were using were much softer than standard, and may account for why those settings didn't work for you.

I wonder about his front compression setting though, it seems really stiff.

scottatbhm

Back