Suspension Settings

poops

Registered
I am starting to prep for a track school I will attending in 2 weeks. I was wondering if someone out there could suggest suspension settings for the Busa for someone who is 5'10" & 180lbs. I intend to do some intense and aggressive riding while at the school.

BTW, I have already seen and adopted the Sports Rider magazine recommended settings for the Busa. I would like to take it one step further.

I will using Pirelli Diablos for rubber.

Plus, any opinions about using the Busa as a track bike...?

Any insight is appreciated.

poops

<!--EDIT|poops
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085531173 -->

Make sure your preload is set up for you. That makes a huge difference in the feel of your bike. I weigh the same, and have my front preload set at like 2 and a half lines showing, and the rear set at 11 threads shong above the top lock ring.

That put me exactly in the range. I think for sag you want like 35 mm up front and 25-35mm out back, I could be wrong I have not messed with this in a while.

I would bet stock rebound and compression settings will be fine. You may feel the urge to move them a click or two. I have not messed with that much yet on the busa.

Check out the sportrider website for some setup tips, their suggested settings are not alway what feels best to you. But they do have a good article on how to set sag.

Also check this thread out, it is R1 related but there is a ton of good info in it. Take the time to read through some of the arguments in it.
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums....ystical

Good luck!

I rode stock on the track last month and it was very wobbly coming out of corners. But my bike has 10k on it and I think it's loosened up a LOT over time and hard use. Gotta get that tightened up. Figure I'll use SportRider settings to start with. Dialbo's will worked great for me. I scraped a fairing they stuck so well! I believe the busa is not 'IDEALLY' suited as a track bike but it sure is fun! I think it's fatter than those 600's and 1000's so a little harder to corner on track turns, and heavier to toss back and forth for turns. It smacks down on the straits, but then harder to slow down for upcoming corners due to weight. Several people on here have 'tracked' their busas with great success. If I ever wanted to get REALLY good on the track, I'd pick something else or invest a lot in parts: suspension, rims, fairings, all sorts of lighteners and tighteners. Then it would be great! For me, I just plan on stock track days and getting passed by superior riders on better track bikes.... but having a ball doing it! So I bought one of these for my back at track days:

smv.jpg

I recently took my baby to the track for the first time (3rd season for me), and had a blast. Suspension settings were pretty close to what the owner's manual recommends. I added extra line of preload on the front, and increased damping by 1 click everywhere. I tried different combinations on the street, and that was the result of a few months of experimenting (on the street though, which is not the same as track). I think stock settings for 180 weight is a good starting point.

I ride on the street pretty aggressively, so I didn't change it for the track. She is solid as a rock when leaned.

BTW, I weigh about 180 also, but about 5'9" height.

What helps me a lot to turn the thing quickly is to apply lots of pressure on the inside peg - but only for a short duration of turning. After that, I release the pressure from the inside, and try to have a bit of weight on the outside peg for stability.

Was trying to keep rpms in lower range to avoid too much sliding. Hairpin in 1st didn't work too well - rear tends to slide.

Working out helps a lot, too. Sit ups especially, so you can easily move your butt by lifting your body off the seat a bit. And, overall as well.

Thanks for the suggestion fellas. The one thing I am trying to change/fix on the Busa is the feedback I am receiving from the rear. Whenever I take a corner or do a little side to side weaving on a straight road, the rear feels like it is about to come around on me. Doesn't even matter if the tires are warm.

Yes, I have checked the pressure in both tires. The rear is at 38psi and the front is at 40psi. The tires are Pirelli Diablos and they only have approx 1500 miles. There is no noticeable wear on them. The front of the bike feels fine.

Any idea on how I can correct this...?

Thanks

To be honest, track/aggressive tire pressures are lower than what you have. On the track, they would recommend at least lower 30's. I usually run 33 front, 36 rear on the street for aggressive riding.

for kicks, put your street pressure back up to 42/42 per spec and see how the rear handles. you might just be feeling WSW or Weak Sidewall Wallowing. Yes, I just made that abbrevation up, thanks

Back