stock busa track day suspension settings?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I'm vaguely familiar with suspension, and understand that EVERYONE says "you gotta ride it and see to tune it" - that said, I'm looking for the basics settings I should use to tightenup my all stock Busa for trackdays. I lack the proper tools to adjust the big spring thingy [tech term] but can reach most everything else. It's currently set to the factory which is like harder than softer for riding two up - that's according to the manual. Anyone good with how many clicks of what and where to set it up to be more track ready? I'm familiar with the websites that tell what each thing does, but I want someone else who has done this to assist me here. Not looking for perfection, just better setup than factory. Thanks in advance for you help here.

FYI: I weigh the average 180 and have no intentions of adding 'better' race parts to the suspension. This is fun hobby mode only for me. Thanks! :)

Front:

Preload - 3 lines showing (5 showing)

Compression - 2 clicks out (9 clicks)

Rebound - 2 clicks out (3 clicks)

Front: Rear:

Preload - 3 lines showing (5 showing)

Compression - 2 clicks out (9 clicks)

Rebound - 2 clicks out (3 clicks)

Preload - still stock, unmeasured

Compression - 5 clicks out (8 clicks)

Rebound - 7 clicks out (11 clicks)

Preload - still stock, unmeasured

Compression - 5 clicks out (8 clicks)

Rebound - 7 clicks out (11 clicks)[/QUOTE]

I got them from here

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1069809003 -->

FYI - Sport Rider Magazine's web site has a section for reccomended settings for all of the bikes that they have tested. The 'busa is listed

Kent Sheldon

You can also look for someone that works at the track, and ask them to help you get it dialed in. I know that some of the schools do that stuff, but I'm not sure about plain track days. Just make one adjustment and then ride. That way you know how each setting affects the bike. I don't think there's a quick way to set it up properly.

I'll be going through the same thing when I do my first track day.

Good Luck

You may not want to go and change the compression or rebound until you adjust the preload. I know this from experience. I raised preload front and rear (1/2 turn front, full turn rear) and was amazed at the improvement for more agressive riding. No more fork dive on hard braking, no more shimmy exiting a turn on power. I highly recommend raising the preload, but only a little at a time. Mine needed little change (I only weigh 145lbs though).

I then raised the compression and rebound 1 click each. That was a mistake, particularly in the front, the result was constant bumping/bouncing felt thru the bars, like the forks were solid. I went back 1 click to factory setting, immediately went away. Rides like a dream now and very solid/stable at speed and in the turns. Virtually no fork dive whatsoever, yet still supple over surface irregularities.

Just my experience but again I would recommend raising the preload only and see what it does. Depending on your weight you may want to raise comp/rebound dampening but wait and see.

Thanks, EAK. We got a couple slices of taco pizza left if ya want it

Back