SuperCharger vs Turbo

gt28r/2860
gt2815psi.jpg

supercharger
dsc001121.jpg

so its turbo over supercharger???
i always thought superchargers were faster...
I remember Mecedes Benz saying, compresser is the future, forget the turbo.
I always thought the lag on someturbo's like the tts was ages...
my uncles 4.2 L Jag has a 1.4 2n'd turbo lag... some cars can go from 0-60mph in less than that!!
But for the price, it has to be a turbo or nos...

but you have to pick the right turbo for the application
mine is a street bike I wanted instant power not wanting to wait till 7k rpm for power

probably depends more what you want out of it, the gt28 on my bike std wheelbase was a pogostick, the supercharger being more linear may be easier to ride.
i was looking at a supercharger for a b-king i was going to buy (till the sale of of my busa fell through) but thinking now if i do get a b-k i may just put on a small turbo again, maybe something like the MCXpress with a 16t or another gt2860 or 2871

heres another 08 big cc chart pushing 10psi. the torque curve is more impressive here
Procharger%20v%20Rotrex.bmp

there are some big factors were over looking, like what year and mods were done to the busa's featured in the charts.

Last edited:
01 busa,.055 spacer ,s2000 inj , fmu ,water/air intercooler , no retiming of cams,
this was my first turbo busa build 5 yrs ago, still miss its low down pull but the current gt30r system is more fun

not much
i have had both on my 750s and surprised at how similar the spool time is,i will qualify that though the bikes are setup a little differently.... 2860 has low comp running 116 oct and 2871 is higher comp with cams and running methanol (it spools earlier than the low comp motor)
i think the 2871 would be a good size on the 10, bit like a gt30 on a busa

The KKK K27 58/12 (MCXpress Race Kit) is WAY TOO BIG for what you want to do. Even the old MCXpress TD04HL-16T street kit is more than enough. Peak power occurs at about 8800 RPM w/stock cams. Rolling burnouts are not a problem...

sz-gsxr1300-99-graf.jpg

Supercharger would def be cool as a streetbike and fun to ride but all that instant torque looks to be a complete ***** to get to hook. The way that white busa with the juiced up european guy riding it just bangs off the limiter all day long and spins everywhere....not really what I would be looking for

so its turbo over supercharger???
i always thought superchargers were faster...
I remember Mecedes Benz saying, compresser is the future, forget the turbo.
I always thought the lag on someturbo's like the tts was ages...
my uncles 4.2 L Jag has a 1.4 2n'd turbo lag... some cars can go from 0-60mph in less than that!!
But for the price, it has to be a turbo or nos...

Now a supercharger can be faster than a turbo and vice versa...just depends on what you put it on. I superchared dodge viper is going to be faster than a turbo honda civic. Turbo Lag is direct effect of turbo size and whatever housing you use and size of motor you are using it on. HELL NO turbos are way more efficient....whats BMW using now ummm turbos...what are all the manufactuers using except ford an chevy ummmm turbos. Lower intake temps, more power per lb boost, dont have all the stress on the crank and Hp loss. Never trust Mercedez Benz they are awesome cars but many spend more time in the shop than on the road and they have TERRIBLE consumer report records and electonic issues. Hell have you seen how slow their 125K dollar V12 AMG everythings are. You def have to be a benz guy or European to wanna spend that $$ on what your getting. Go buy you a all motor C6 Z06 used for 45K and send it to Ligenfelter for their 600RWHP package for $10K and it comes with 36K warranty. Then you can go extremely murder any benz on the planet street or track LOL. But I understand its a Benz thing

Supercharger would def be cool as a streetbike and fun to ride but all that instant torque looks to be a complete ***** to get to hook. The way that white busa with the juiced up european guy riding it just bangs off the limiter all day long and spins everywhere....not really what I would be looking for

It is not a roots or twin-screw blower. No off idle boost. It is a centrifugal blower that is RPM dependent for boost production, as you can see from the dyno chart. At 6500 RPM, the 16T street turbo kit is producing approximately DOUBLE the torque of the TTS/Rotrex supercharger-equipped bike. The MCXpress-kitted bike is a MUCH more violent ride.

It is not a roots or twin-screw blower. No off idle boost. It is a centrifugal blower that is RPM dependent for boost production, as you can see from the dyno chart. At 6500 RPM, the 16T street turbo kit is producing approximately DOUBLE the torque of the TTS/Rotrex supercharger-equipped bike. The MCXpress-kitted bike is a MUCH more violent ride.

Yeah but isn't the MCxpress kit that uses the 16T the one everyone is always talking about how fast it spools and how its the ultimate street turbo? Stack up all the other stage 2 equipped turbos from RCC, bigCC ect and I'm pretty sure they don't hit has fast as that supercharger. I'm just going by watching those videos where that juiced up european guy is banging off the limiter and letting of the throttle and the RPM sweeps way harder and instant than any turbo I've ever ridden.

Yeah but isn't the MCxpress kit that uses the 16T the one everyone is always talking about how fast it spools and how its the ultimate street turbo? Stack up all the other stage 2 equipped turbos from RCC, bigCC ect and I'm pretty sure they don't hit has fast as that supercharger. I'm just going by watching those videos where that juiced up european guy is banging off the limiter and letting of the throttle and the RPM sweeps way harder and instant than any turbo I've ever ridden.

For sure they'll spool slower...all the stage 2's are designed to make 400 RWHP, apples and oranges to a 280 RWHP centrifugal supercharger kit. That Rotrex supercharger is basically a turbocharger that what would normally be the turbine side, is belt driven.

supercharger.jpg

It is entirely rpm dependent as far as positive manifold pressure goes, not load dependent like a turbocharger. If the rider fans the clutch the slightest bit on that bike, it will be up in the rpm range and making exponentially more power...hence, wheelspin.

Might want to watch that video again, either the rest of the traffic is going over 200kph or his speedo is wrong. At 280 kph on the highway he should be going by the traffic so fast the camera will barely catch it, I really doubt the speedo is accurate? For the tire spin on the streets, either the bike has a real bad tire or the chassis geometry has changed, a stock wheel base busa should pick up the front tire easily before spinning the tire.

Richard

innner city Greek roads are like polished concrete - zero traction!!

Back