SuperCharger vs Turbo

gap4652

Registered
Does anyone make a supercharger for the busa or 1000 and if so hot is it compared to a turbo? Pros and Cons, Thanks ahead

Turbo vs Superchargers

Turbo, much more efficient (a lot less heat generated in the charge air at most any given level of boost)

Blower- much faster to produce boost and so typically faster off the starting line (turbos take a bit of time to spool up but there are work arounds)

An average turbo will produce about 50% more torque at 7psi with almost no loss to drag from trying to spin a big set of rotors..

I do not have the numbers for smaller units but the blower on our nitro motors (GM 14-71) requires about 850 hp at 11,000 rpm just to turn the thing..

Turbos are the only way to go IMO for anyone seeking max power..

We ran turbos before they were all the rage (the 70's) and we also had the first 200mph Top alcohol dragster at Denver by running turbos.. Our ET was not what it needed to be but the MPH proved the hp :)

A good turbo primer book was turbochargers by Hugh McInnes (HP Books) and even though much of the technology has changed, the basics are still the same.. (our dragster is in it)

I do like blowers for "Looks" on street rods however... heck how often do you really get to flog the thing anyway and so may as well look good :)

A turbo's cheaper (about half the price), less complicated, easier to install, take up less room, and gives you more bang for your buck. Plus like mentioned above its free power. Superchargers are great for 4 wheels..............but turbo's the way to go for a bike :thumbsup: Plus with modern high tech dual BB turbo's, and bigger cc motors like the busa, turbo lag is really a thing of the past :laugh:

Are there any positive (other than centrifugal) supercharger kits out there? I'd love to put down 7-10psi with near no lag.
My turbo-10r begins spooling around 6,000 rpm (red lines at 13,000). It's swb 1" drop and will float the front into 5th- fun times. I'm looking to move onto a larger bike. I only ride street, a lot of roll-ons, am not interest in no2 either and would like to be different and try supercharging myself. Recommendations?

Last edited:
Are there any positive (other than centrifugal) supercharger kits out there? I'd love to put down 7-10psi with near no lag.
My turbo-10r begins spooling around 6,000 rpm (red lines at 13,000). It's swb 1" drop and will float the front into 5th- fun times. I'm looking to move onto a larger bike. I only ride street, a lot of roll-ons, am not interest in no2 either and would like to be different and try supercharging myself. Recommendations?

By the time you get the supercharger you will wish you had gotten the turbo. Especially if you like to do Roll-ons. I'm not exactly sure how much HP the superchargers are putting out but a nice RCC stage 2 setup with A/A intercooler can make 320Hp safely on pump and will start building boost at 5K....you could always option for a different turbo from RCC that spooled quicker

supercharger :poke:

okay heres another video of this greek guy who calls his bike "busa bastard"

as a non-busa owner, i cant fathom how hes breaking the rear wheel loose like he is. im thinking, hes not clutching it but maybe bad tire and or roads? he just cracks the throttle and its drifting- he insist that its not geared and hes not touching more than half throttle. yeah hes got a worked motor and pushing maybe 10+psi at 310hp on a centrifugal tts system but im running 230+hp on stock wheel base and need to clutch it in order to break my rear loose. does anyone else know of any tts supercharger claims like his?

By the time you get the supercharger you will wish you had gotten the turbo. Especially if you like to do Roll-ons. I'm not exactly sure how much HP the superchargers are putting out but a nice RCC stage 2 setup with A/A intercooler can make 320Hp safely on pump and will start building boost at 5K....you could always option for a different turbo from RCC that spooled quicker

im beginning to pick up on that. by the time i get a busa II, im sure ill have all my choices lined up. commuta_busa said that a kkk k27 5810 or 16G might be what im looking for; minimal lag, pushing up to 10psi for street roll-on factor with an air/air intercooler standing by. my goal is to achieve a quick 300hp out of a spaced motor and stock internals for street riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to watch that video again, either the rest of the traffic is going over 200kph or his speedo is wrong. At 280 kph on the highway he should be going by the traffic so fast the camera will barely catch it, I really doubt the speedo is accurate? For the tire spin on the streets, either the bike has a real bad tire or the chassis geometry has changed, a stock wheel base busa should pick up the front tire easily before spinning the tire.

Richard

Might want to watch that video again, either the rest of the traffic is going over 200kph or his speedo is wrong. At 280 kph on the highway he should be going by the traffic so fast the camera will barely catch it, I really doubt the speedo is accurate? For the tire spin on the streets, either the bike has a real bad tire or the chassis geometry has changed, a stock wheel base busa should pick up the front tire easily before spinning the tire.

Richard

i was picking up on that...there was no "tunnel vision" effect being displayed and those cars werent blurred. for a stock wheel base the fronts not floating either- i mean he claims its not more than half throttle but only he knows.

i just havent heard from anyone with solid feedback on a tts or procharger kits yet. i see that big cc's numbers show their kit is more efficient by 30hp over the tts. but what really gets me with a supercharger is its linear torque, for instance, the big cc kit puts down 75-100+ft_lbs between 2-4,000rpm alone. for a street rider throwing down roll ons thats insane, show me a turbo that torques on demand like that?:bowdown:

Last edited:
I just looked at a dyno chart on the BigCC site, the super charger kit that makes 250 hp does not make 100ft lbs of torque till 5000 rpm, almost all the turbo kits on the market make that torque at that rpm, just looked at the 300 hp dyno chart for the supercharger too, same thing 100ft at 5000rpm, identical to a turbo. I believe the bike in the vid has extremely low gearing.

Richard

Ok, guess I overlooked that but there's virtually no lag when you roll on a sc. Sure I can drop my turbo bike into 2nd and let it rip but with a sc there no "what gear am I in?", just twist it- less clutch work.

I think you are basing your experience off your 10R, the 1000s are a little lazier spooling the turbos and definitely are low on torque, the busas on the other hand spool the turbos quite quickly and have more torque to begin with, the turbo you have on your 10 is a great choice, but if you put thst same turbo on a busa it would start spooling about 2500rpm and be at full boost by 3500 rpm,

Richard

yea youre right, that i am. hell, i havent even riden an 08 yet. i know my stock 10 would eat 07 and older busa's until 6th gear. you guys obviously benefit from the larger motor, duh

ghost211 since your only making 234hp if you switched to a gt2860rs turbo you will get better spooling

Last edited:
there is a supercharger thread running on the b-king forum, tts posted the ~300hp dyno printout.... must admit i was a little dissapointed,dug up an old printout of myown for similar boost my old gt2860kit killed it right through mid range and matched it up top , probably would have beat it everywhere but for some clutch slip i had at the time (welded btl)

Back