Superbyke...birth of a rear shock!

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Yes, full Race Tech, but also annodizing, powdercoating, each piece scrutinized and redone in some way. I'm so lucky to have both Scott (IsiahStites) and Brian (Superbike Performance Lab) in my town because they both use their skills and patience with my parts as though it was their own bike they were working on. I've lived a lot of places and tried to connect with a lot of mechanics, sadly, I knew as much or more than most of em....until Reno! When the reality of Scott, Brian and me combine for this Superbyke project, it truly is a dream come true for me.

Below pics represent another step in this "Winter reintroduction", when Brian called and said, "come on over to the shop, you gotta see this", he was referring to finally receiving all the modified rear shock parts we sent out, and their return to his workbench for final assembly. Gold valve, new innards, Eibach spring powercoated, etc. Notice the coated shock body and how the adjustment threads remain raw aluminum, also, all the chrome little parts....the chrome is amazing!

Like I always say, "more later". Doyle

IMG_0001 (6).jpg

IMG_0002 (6).jpg

IMG_0003 (6).jpg

IMG_0004 (6).jpg

IMG_0005 (6).jpg

Re: Superebyke...birth of a rear shock!

when you know what you want there is always a way to get it

Kml and Pan....my two global homies! One in Canada and one down under, both with deep knowledge on "how to keep and improve what you have"......smack dab in the 10 ring of my values! Doyle

The difference in a 130 mph sweeper should be the "only test that matters"!

Nice post Doyle......hope your holidays were good and that we can get together soon. I have a Ducati Monster 1100 in the garage for the next 4-5 months so a ride is in order, soon!

That being said your parts look awesome and superbyke will be just that super, once she's all buttoned up of course. Call me if you need anything....

On a side not I find it sad that on something as cool as this on a MC forum that your posts get little to no attention, unlike all of the wonderful political threads. Just keep on posting man, we need more MC topics!

Nice post Doyle......hope your holidays were good and that we can get together soon. I have a Ducati Monster 1100 in the garage for the next 4-5 months so a ride is in order, soon!

That being said your parts look awesome and superbyke will be just that super, once she's all buttoned up of course. Call me if you need anything....

On a side not I find it sad that on something as cool as this on a MC forum that your posts get little to no attention, unlike all of the wonderful political threads. Just keep on posting man, we need more MC topics!

Really makes me wonder what is important to people. I for one love the work that has/is been done!
Keep it going gents.
Jealous, envious, yes.....:laugh:

What changes did race tech make in the shim stack and needle taper from stock?

cheers
ken

Very cool project Doyle and friends! This sort of stuff really is interesting and exciting to watch develop. Can't wait for the next installment!

I've been thinking that Scott, nobody is more of a political hack than me, and even with that, I rarely participate in those threads anymore. This is the org, and even if only 3-4 folks appreciate/understand the effort AND RESULTS of this kind of part by part analysis and development, it shall be worth it for me. I do find it amazing how, with thousands of members/Busa owners, only a few will respond or even open the thread and read. I AM NOT blowing my own horn here, but, damit, it takes a lot of extra effort to take before, during and after pics of motorcycle labor and parts development....then a follow up post of a road test. I think I'm speaking for a number of org members over the years that have chronicled "take downs" and Busa improvement. I know one thing for sure, great marques in both automobiles and motorcycles are rich with folks that treat their pieces with a timeless respect AND ongoing culture of improvement. I believe there is too much discussion on how Suzuki sucks because they aren't releasing a blockbuster Gen III....and not enough on "how to want what you already have". Feel free to tell me why my opinion is wrong but I ain't changing...traction control is wonderful but my thrills are achieved by the direct, surgical link between my brain and the tarmac, on a piece of equipment assembled with my torque wrench. Doyle

Excuse me for the relatively noobish question, but is that an OEM unit with racetech internals, or something else? Just trying to figure out exactly what's being done, and I'm new to suspension tech, sorry :(

What changes did race tech make in the shim stack and needle taper from stock?

cheers
ken

Ken, my racer friend Brian is a trained Race Tech guy and he shims the rear shock based on, gross vehicle weight, style of riding and nature of use and type of bike. Race Tech website, I believe, has the charts available (not sure cause I let Brian do his thing re: set up). For example, on my red Busa (Haybus) the Race Tech front forks have 1.1 springs (OEM Busa is .85) and is wonderful for both track use and loaded touring. On the black Superbyke, the Race Tech forks use 1.0 springs because the Superbyke is virtually 100 pounds lighter than an OEM Busa! (I could get away with a 1.1 BUT the everyday use would be really harsh). Doyle

I think you guys are missing that there have never been that many people who tear into the bike and try to create something that is more than the original (other than aesthetically). I would say that most people work on their own bikes to save money, not because they love to spin a wrench. Think about how many posts there are on here that tell the story of the butterfly emerging from the catapiller? Not many at all.

I have a different approach than you do with your SuperByke but the mods I have been doing to my bike have been towards defining a new bike from a stock "catapiller" just as you. Even my paint scheme was intended to look like something Suzuki might do if they sold a GSX1300GT model. People want to see the final product and then ask how much to buy one. People who appreciate the process of creating something as much as the final product are unsual. Sometimes a smaller auidence of real belivers is just as good as thousands of hits though.

So for us orgsters who love to wrench, keep posting the SuperByke saga :thumbsup:

Ken, my racer friend Brian is a trained Race Tech guy and he shims the rear shock based on, gross vehicle weight, style of riding and nature of use and type of bike. Race Tech website, I believe, has the charts available (not sure cause I let Brian do his thing re: set up). For example, on my red Busa (Haybus) the Race Tech front forks have 1.1 springs (OEM Busa is .85) and is wonderful for both track use and loaded touring. On the black Superbyke, the Race Tech forks use 1.0 springs because the Superbyke is virtually 100 pounds lighter than an OEM Busa! (I could get away with a 1.1 BUT the everyday use would be really harsh). Doyle

When I did racetech they gave you a one time access code to their suspension setting computer software. You answer the quiestions and print out an install guide with shim stack recommendations, oil levels springs sag, etc. I gave that to the shop that installed it. I'm no expert but it felt awesome right from the shop. I found the Racetech settings can be a bit harsh on the street but I suppose when asked questions like what is your skill level we always answer a level or too too high ??? The bike was a Bandit 1250 and even with cheap suspension like that bike has it was very impressive.

Excuse me for the relatively noobish question, but is that an OEM unit with racetech internals, or something else? Just trying to figure out exactly what's being done, and I'm new to suspension tech, sorry :(

No, that's a good question...Race Tech (like a couple of other national level suspension companies, Traxion Dynamics, etc.) use your forks and modify the internals...that being said, Race Tech now offers a line of non-OEM aftermarket HI-END rear shocks! Also, of course, Ohlins not only has complete replacement units (including ft. forks), they ALSO offer internal parts replacements! For me, the fun of seeing what's INSIDE my suspension, the price differential between replacing the whole unit vrs. changing the internals and finally the different universe offered by modified internals...all add up to determine which combination makes sense to me (for my use). `Another benefit for me is that, since I've got it all apart down to the last o-ring, what a perfect time to powdercoat and annodize and REALLY end up with a custom unit. I hope that answers your question. Doyle

I'm loving the perfectionistic drive you have to make sure that the part is exactly what you want it to be, both in form and function. Keep it up! :thumbsup::bowdown:

I think you guys are missing that there have never been that many people who tear into the bike and try to create something that is more than the original (other than aesthetically). I would say that most people work on their own bikes to save money, not because they love to spin a wrench. Think about how many posts there are on here that tell the story of the butterfly emerging from the catapiller? Not many at all.

I have a different approach than you do with your SuperByke but the mods I have been doing to my bike have been towards defining a new bike from a stock "catapiller" just as you. Even my paint scheme was intended to look like something Suzuki might do if they sold a GSX1300GT model. People want to see the final product and then ask how much to buy one. People who appreciate the process of creating something as much as the final product are unsual. Sometimes a smaller auidence of real belivers is just as good as thousands of hits though.

So for us orgsters who love to wrench, keep posting the SuperByke saga :thumbsup:

You are right Willie and when expressing myself I worried that the post would sound like I was "talking down" to folks that have the dealership change their oil! I really was not doing that, I was trying to 1)explain how fun and meaningful it is to "explore the function" of your bike through ongoing development and 2)persuade some to consider the awesome world of improvement that's out there for Hayabusas! Ya just don't have to wait for a new model to extract maximum enjoyment from your scooter! Doyle

Another thought....re: improving one's bike....you don't have to have your Busa taken down to the motor and frame and hanging from the ceiling for 2 months like me, or have cylinder heads on your workbench like Isiahstites....there are so many things one can do that are simply afternoon projects that really make for a better Busa! Installing SS brake lines, puting on a seat, grip pads on the side kneewells of your gastank, the list is endless! Many times I've "gone in" to a mechanical project worried and come out thinking how darned easy it was! (for me, just looking at some dealership mechanics leads me to think "if he can do it, I surely can"). Also, that doesn't mean I will stop using Jiffy Lube! Doyle

I believe there is too much discussion on how Suzuki sucks because they aren't releasing a blockbuster Gen III....and not enough on "how to want what you already have".

Hear here!!!

This applies to most things in life and not just motorbikes.

:thumbsup:

cheers
ken

The other side of that is how awesome if feels when you are out on the road and all the equipment works perfect. I remember the frustration involved when I was trying to get the AutoCom dialed in, the the bike to bike radio working, and the heated gear just right. Now I climb on the bike, turn the key and it all works like it's factory. This is an amazing feeling and all the frustration is forgotten. There is nothing cooler than pulling into a group of bikers and have them pour over the bike and ask what's that, what's this, you have cruise control, wow you have heated gear too? I didn't know you could get that on a Busa. I went to a BMW riders meeting once with my ridiing buddy and the Busa was the center of attention with BMW Riders! I actually had BMW guys come up and say "wow, that's the best out fitted Busa I've ever seen."

That's major cool for a guy like me who has no mechanical or electrical background.

Back