Street Tires for hayabusa 2023

Anyone else does not love the stock BATTLAX HYPERSPORT S22? While I enjoy their grip and stability, I've noticed they make the bike turn heavy. I know the bike is a piggy, but these tires feel "slow" to me if you know what I mean, and I always fill them up to the proper pressure.

I feel safe assuming that there are tires that give a little more "on rails" feeling and lower turn-in latency without compromising grip and wearability. I'd like the bike to lean into the corners a bit easier. The bike feels very nimble while maneuvering lightly, but I feel the tires holding things back when I get a bit more aggressive. I have to push her a fraction of a second earlier to combat the latency, and I really feel the tires fighting while the bike itself wants to lean with me.

I feel like some lean speed has been left on the table to be had. I'm not a knee-dragger at all, but I'd really like more sprightliness, because that would really satisfy me fully. I'm still a 'Busa noob, so I'd appreciate any recommendations for a nimbler road tire that has at least the grip of the OEM ones if there are any.

Dude, thanks! :thumbsup: Didn't know they had those for the 'Busa. The price is good. You probably saved me a new set of tires if I end up liking them! :)

Reactions: kml
Upgraded to Michelin Road 6's last season. I was very impressed with the handling and comfort these new tires offered. Cost alittle more, but hopefully I'll get more than 4,500 miles out of them like I did from the stock Battlax S22.

Screenshot_20230327_223425_Gallery.jpg

Anyone else does not love the stock BATTLAX HYPERSPORT S22? While I enjoy their grip and stability, I've noticed they make the bike turn heavy. I know the bike is a piggy, but these tires feel "slow" to me if you know what I mean, and I always fill them up to the proper pressure.

I feel safe assuming that there are tires that give a little more "on rails" feeling and lower turn-in latency without compromising grip and wearability. I'd like the bike to lean into the corners a bit easier. The bike feels very nimble while maneuvering lightly, but I feel the tires holding things back when I get a bit more aggressive. I have to push her a fraction of a second earlier to combat the latency, and I really feel the tires fighting while the bike itself wants to lean with me.

I feel like some lean speed has been left on the table to be had. I'm not a knee-dragger at all, but I'd really like more sprightliness, because that would really satisfy me fully. I'm still a 'Busa noob, so I'd appreciate any recommendations for a nimbler road tire that has at least the grip of the OEM ones if there are any.
I found the Battlax tyre to be a little on the slippery side and pretty average on traction tbh. No heavy turning issues here.

Heavy turning as noticeable as you mention (in my case) was only from wearing a flat spot in the centre of the tyre from a lot of straight line highway riding wear. That will definitely do it.

Do a burn out and round it off again.
Low tyre pressure is another symptom... but yours is at 42 psi.

I can't speak for all brand of tyres, but fitment of the correct tyre dimensions and pressure shouldn't make your turning feel that heavy.

As a casual rider and not a track rider, it really doesn't matter too much what brand rubber and tread you use so long as it's appropriate for the bike, riding style, road surface and weather.. but the more you pay, generally the higher performance tyre you will get.

In conclusion, I've never encountered heavy steering from a new tyre; quite the opposite actually.
It's always a cause of tyre wear, lack of maintenance, too large tyre size fitted, low pressure, suspension setup, swing arm length or a seizing steering damper.

I'm sure more experienced members here can correct where I'm wrong.

Hi friends, which is the right size of tyres and which brand do you recommend for street riding. Not touring or track riding.

120/70/17 front
190/50/17 rear
are the stock sizes.
You can go with a wider and taller rear tire, which will slightly change the handling(better corner tip in with a 55, but it makes the gearing taller, like a -2 rear sprocket, and causes a little more pressure on your wrists).
What brand will get you many opinions.
Sport tires stick better than sport touring, but sport tires get less mileage, as they are softer, which is why they grip better.
Psi varies a little based on riding style and tire compound as well.

Dude, I LOVE finding exactly what I didn't know I needed!

[re Shnitz raising links] ...Measured at the aft-most location on my bike, the bottom of the license plate, I saw a 1.25 inch increase in height. I am 5'11" tall and have no issue standing with the bike. The change to performance is not drastic, but is noticeable.

OMG they also come adjustable! Probably a little heavier, but you can fine tune the handling? How the hell have I been obsessed with Hayabusas for the past 24 years and never been clear on this? 1.25" might be just a smidge too high in the back for me, the ability to fine tune downward, especially with a 190/55 on the back wheel sounds perfect!
GSX1300R Hayabusa All Years Adjustable Raising Lowering Links Kit +1 T

*hmmm, would those links be sprung or unsprung weight?

Reactions: kml
OMG they also come adjustable! Probably a little heavier, but you can fine tune the handling? How the hell have I been obsessed with Hayabusas for the past 24 years and never been clear on this? 1.25" might be just a smidge too high in the back for me, the ability to fine tune downward, especially with a 190/55 on the back wheel sounds perfect!
GSX1300R Hayabusa All Years Adjustable Raising Lowering Links Kit +1 T

*hmmm, would those links be sprung or unsprung weight?
Are the springs in forks or shocks sprung or unsprung weight?

LOL

cheers
ken

120/70/17 front
190/50/17 rear
are the stock sizes.
You can go with a wider and taller rear tire, which will slightly change the handling(better corner tip in with a 55, but it makes the gearing taller, like a -2 rear sprocket, and causes a little more pressure on your wrists).
What brand will get you many opinions.
Sport tires stick better than sport touring, but sport tires get less mileage, as they are softer, which is why they grip better.
Psi varies a little based on riding style and tire compound as well.
Thank you for the comprehensive post.

I went with the Michellin Power 5 last weekend. Initial impression is I WILL NEVER BUY BRIDGESTONE..... Night and day handling over the Bridgestone. My front tire was cupped pretty good with 4700 miles. The bike feels like new again.
Cupping could be related to air pressure, never had an issue with the S22s, hard to generate a problem in 3K miles, been running Michelin Road 6GTs ……

Dunlop Q5S comes in a 200/55, and the Q5 comes in a 200/60.

Anyone else considering going big?

But in the front, the 120 Q5S is actually shorter in diameter than the competition, I believe. Does that bother anyone else?

Dunlop tires

Dunlop Q5S comes in a 200/55, and the Q5 comes in a 200/60.

Anyone else considering going big?

But in the front, the 120 Q5S is actually shorter in diameter than the competition, I believe. Does that bother anyone else?

Dunlop tires
Different brands and different sizes all vary in actual size to some extent.
One company's 120/70/17 will be shorter, taller, thinner, or wider than another brand, as will other tire sizes as well.

This inclines me to try the Q5S in 200/55. I asked Dunlop Tech Support to confirm that on a 6-in rim, it'll be taller than the 190/55. Will post their response if I get one.

Handling was neutral, too, though the overall profile of the 190/55 is a little flatter than the bigger sizes on hand. Over the course of the day this resulted in the tire “shelving,” where the upper shoulder starts to wear considerably more than the edge, creating a shelf of rubber you need to lean past in order to experience the fresh edge rubber. Robinson noted these shelves are partially created because of the flat-ish profile of this particular tire size, which was one of the reasons for the taller and larger profiles added to the range. The larger profile means more rubber touches the ground at lean, reducing the chance at shelving. Dunlop Q5 And Q5S Trackday Tire Review

Upgraded to Michelin Road 6's last season. I was very impressed with the handling and comfort these new tires offered. Cost alittle more, but hopefully I'll get more than 4,500 miles out of them like I did from the stock Battlax S22.

View attachment 1664531
I see you went for regular instead of GT version. Please keep us updated on how the tire fares.

My pair of 6GTs look good after 3,400kms. The stock S22s lasted less...

Back