Strange grinding, clicking noise??

turbobusa2000

Registered
Just need a little help on diagnosing this problem Im having. My bike makes this strange noise like my chain is grinding on the sprockets of my bike. It's strange, it happens when I begin to accelerate just for a moment and when I apply the rear brake. I would say it is most pronounced when appying the brake. I have suspected the brake caliper as well but nothing I've done solves the noise. At highway speed or cruising in town if I pull in the clutch the chain sounds smooth.:headscratch:

I've taken my pads out thinking I had them installed incorrectly I've had the wheel off so many times I can't remember. If anyone has any thoughts please feel free to shoot them out at me, I don't care if it's something silly either. Hell maybe it is something silly. Anyway here's a short clip of the sound. This is me just going back and fourth in a parking probably only 5-10mph.

th_MVI_0545.jpg

Hard to tell on that video, but I would just check the tension on your chain while on a stand. Just rotate the tire and check the slack from the bottom every 4 inches or so. From your description it sounds like a tight spot in the chain. observer the chain as it goes aroun the rear sprocket and some times you can see it ride up a little on the sprocket when its tight like that. Hope you find your issue! good luck :thumbsup:

Last edited:
what condition are the sprockets in? i have a similiar sound from time to time and im 100 percent sure that i need new chain and sprockets.

Hard to tell on that video, but I would just check the tension on your chain while on a stand. Just rotate the tire and check the slack from the bottom every 4 inches or so. From your description it sounds like a tight spot in the chain. observer the chain as it goes aroun the rear sprocket and some times you can see it ride up a little on the sprocket when its tight like that. Hope you find your issue! good luck :thumbsup:

I'll check the chain. Problem is the sound only occurs when the rear brake is applied or I accelerate. I would think the sound would be constant with a sticking chain. Plus the chain is brand new. I'll check it out.

Is the chain adjusted properly?? sit on it and check tension...just a tad stiff up and down in neutral 1/2 to 3/4 slack.

I had the same problem with mine. It was because the chain tensioners were not adjusted exactly the same on both sides. If they don't match, even just a little bit on one side it puts incorrect tension on the chain and sprocket. I used a tape measure to get mine exact and the problem was gone. You may also want to make sure the chain is lubricated well with grease (or wax) depending on what you use.

Does resemble a chain sound. the manual calls for 20-30 mm /0.8-1.2 in slack up and down,{ I know you know this. and as posted above,Check with a tape measure the difference of tension on each side of the swing arm to confirm the marks are correct.
After that ,A good way to rule out the chain is spin it while on a rear stand and look for kinking. I use chain wax. but my first way diagnose the problem would be to lube the chain with heavy wheel bearing grease or pump grease [ apply it real heavy with a rag, real heavy ] and the take it for a ride; if it quiets down , then you got your answer ,, then cut the grease off.
One other issue with a new chain is [remember a few weeks ago an org memeber didnt break it in and stretched it doing wheelies and it ruined it ; he reported a simular sound.,A new chain has to be broke in at least 400 miles b4 cranking on it. And you do have a ton of power with that turbo. chances [may be] that you didnt break it in and hammered it early and stretched/kinked it. The grease will give you a clue [tube grease or wheel bearing grease. you want it heavy. BTW That noise also had appearance that something was cracked. I hope not,But bad chains make that same identical noise; My gut is leaning on the former and not the latter,Ive seen alot of chains ruined b4 proper breakin, and with you haveing a turbo,,That makes me believe it even more,,,best wishes,,let us know what you find

Last edited:
Back